Need advice on home Wifi

Emil

Skilled
I have You Broadband and I am switching over to Tata Play today. My current connection comes down from my building terrace to my bedroom window and my dual band router is setup in the bedroom. Although it is just a 1BHK flat, I get poor 5G range in some parts of the living room and the kitchen. My bedroom and living room are like a U with a passage at the bottom of the U. The present router is near the middle of one arm of the U and the signal is weak at the tip of the other arm of the U.
Tata line will come in through the front door and will be installed in the living room near the bottom arm of the U. There is a line of sight from the point where the router (supplied by them) will be installed, to my work desk in the bedroom. I plan to use my router as a repeater/extender so the 5G signal will be available to the other end of the bedroom and I also expect to use a LAN connection from the bedroom router to my desktop in the bedroom. Would that work? Is there anything I need to ensure to get good connectivity and smooth handover between the routers?
Edit on June 7: My Tata Play internet connection was installed yesterday. With the new router and router location, I am getting good 5 gig all over my house. I really don't need my old router as a range extender. The only thing I may use it for is to provide a LAN connection to my desktop while I still have the desktop. Any tips about how I can use the router only as a 5 gig Wifi to LAN converter?

Last edited:
For your last question:
You could
1. Sell old router and buy a USB/Pcie wifi adapter from well known brand which is 5GHz capable (something like TPLink Archer AC1200)

2. Put old router in wireless repeater mode (now that is something not all routers support)

I would suggest running LAN cable from main router to your desk for your PC. Latency will be much less (noticeably) and you'll get full bandwidth.
Or put the second router in Access Point (AP) mode and use it as wired extender+switch.

If you could mention model names, would be easier to suggest.

For your last question:
You could
1. Sell old router and buy a USB/Pcie wifi adapter from well known brand which is 5GHz capable (something like TPLink Archer AC1200)

2. Put old router in wireless repeater mode (now that is something not all routers support)

I would suggest running LAN cable from main router to your desk for your PC. Latency will be much less (noticeably) and you'll get full bandwidth.
Or put the second router in Access Point (AP) mode and use it as wired extender+switch.

If you could mention model names, would be easier to suggest.
Most of my original post was before I got my new broadband connection. Since I got the new connection and with the new location of the router, I am getting decent signal strength everywhere in my house. That covers everything except the old desktop. I will not be keeping my desktop for long now that I have the new Mac mini M1. So I do not want to spend any money on it if. I probably will not even need any internet connection since the only reason I still have it is because I haven't yet transferred all the data from its 2 internal HDDs. I am just looking for information in case I might need to connect to the internet. For a few more days, I still have my old internet connection from which my desktop gets a LAN connection but I will not get enough time to copy out my data from it by then.
My old router can be configured as Extender. Not sure what is the difference between repeater and extender. I do not want to run a LAN cable from the main router, all across the house.

Back