Need advice on upgrading PC.

Juvetic

Disciple
Please answer the following questions for others to help you out better. Delete whatever you feel is not required.

1. Q: What is your budget?
    1. 25-35K
  2. Q: What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
    1. CPU - Core 2 Duo E4400 @2.00 GHz
    2. Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-G31M-ES2L
    3. GPU - Geforce GT 220 (512 mb)
    4. RAM - 2 * 1gb DDR-3
    5. Monitor - LG Flatron L194WT
    6. SMPS - Beetel BT-450
    7. HDD - 2 *180 GB (one SATA, one PATA)
  3. Q: Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
    1. Monitor - LG Flatron L194WT
    2. HDD - Both
    3. DVD writer - LG
  4. Q: Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
    1. GPU - HD 6870
  5. Q: Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component ? Not decided yet but may upgrade if necessary..
  6. Q: Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
    1. Chandigarh
    2. Open to online purchase
  7. Q: Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
    1. NO!
  8. Q: What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
    1. Gaming
    2. Browsing
    3. Desktop Processing
    4. Download rig, 24x7 operation
    5. Watching HD movies
  9. Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
    1. No.
  10. Q: If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
    1. Fifa
    2. Battlefield
    3. Assassin's creed
    4. Most games basically
  11. Q: What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
    1. Gaming - 1440*900
    2. Desktop - 1440*900
  12. Q: Are you looking to overclock?
    1. Nothing decided on this
  13. Q: Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
    1. Windows XP
    2. Win 7

Hello guys! I want to upgrade my PC and looking to get HD6870. First of all, Is my present config enough so as to run the 6870 efficiently ? And if not please suggest me about the parts to upgrade. What would be the minimum possible requirement for my rig to run this card optimally ? I have no preference but if there are good alternatives, it always helps. For instance, I was looking at getting I5-2400 + DH67 but if there's a similar performing but cheaper non-intel combination, please let me know. Thanks.

Intel i3 2100 ~6,200/-

Intel DH67BL-B3~5400/-

Corsair Xms3 2X2GB 1333mhz-1400/- or Gskill Ripjaws 2X2GB 1333mhz-1500/-

Segate 500GB HDD-4000/-

Seasonic S12ii 520W-3600/- OR Corsair VX550-4300/-

Sapphire HD7770-8500/- OR HD6850-9500/- [This will be enough for your resolution]

Nzxt Gamma-2400/-

Combo Logitech K200-700/

Hope this helps.
happy19.gif

Thanks a lot Jakob! I Like this config but what worries me is HD6850 or HD7770 might become EOL quickly, wanted 6870 because i think it will last a bit longer. Am i wrong, are 7770 and 6850 reliable for the long run ? Similarly unsure about i3-2100 becoming EOL too soon! Should i spend the extra ~4k and get an i5-2xxx or is this processor a safe option for at least a couple of years ?

Other than that, very happy with the rig you posted!

Also, are there AMD processors and motherboards (they might be cheaper or not) that can perform as well as the i5-2xxx and the DH67BL ?

Will surely be getting everything else you mentioned.

If planning for 6870 means have to upgrade Motherboard which wont have any compatibility issues. Cause i m having intel DP55WG media series board it supports SLI and cross fire but this HD 6870 is having a compatibility issue. So choose Motherboard wisely. And you want Intel or AMD processor.

For AMD Processor

ASUS M5A88-M Motherboard - 5274/-

ASUS M5A97 Motherboard - 6588/-

Biostar A880GZ Motherboard -3700/-

AMD 3 GHz AM3 Phenom II 960T Processor - 6957/-

For Intel Processor

ASUS P8H67-M LE Motherboard - 6500/-

Gigabyte GA-H61M-D2H Motherboard - 3500/-

Try 6870 with this, it might help

Thx prakasem.

Can't figure out why the [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]DP55WG media series isn't compatible with HD 6870.[/font] Really have no clue about compatibility so any sort of info about this will be appreciated.

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I have decided to go with a quad core processor for sure so won't be going with i3 2100. Which one among the quad core is what im having trouble deciding. Really like i5-2400 but it's a bit costly, the athlon II X4 and phenom II X4 series seem to be around 3k cheaper so suggestions will be welcome if i should go for a processor from these series or not. The Phenom II 960T you mentioned prakasem looks decent enough.[/font]

Almost certain ill be going for DH67CL-B3 because i will need a mobo that supports Sata 6GBps.

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Lets suppose i go for a phenom II x4 series processor, will it be compatible with DH67CL-C3 and a 6850/6870/7770? And if not which Mobo would be compatible ?[/font]

First of all sir Amd PhenomII is not compatible with intel h67 motherboard
rolleye17.gif
,secondy intel i3 2100 beats Phenom ii X4 series,so for your budgert go for i3 2100,even if it's dual core it's a powerfull cpu which suffice for your needs-http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/88?vs=289,go for HD7770 which would be enough for your resolution,everything else as i've suggested above.
Thx prakasem.

Can't figure out why the [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]DP55WG media series isn't compatible with HD 6870.[/font] Really have no clue about compatibility so any sort of info about this will be appreciated.

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I have decided to go with a quad core processor for sure so won't be going with i3 2100. Which one among the quad core is what im having trouble deciding. Really like i5-2400 but it's a bit costly, the athlon II X4 and phenom II X4 series seem to be around 3k cheaper so suggestions will be welcome if i should go for a processor from these series or not. The Phenom II 960T you mentioned prakasem looks decent enough.[/font]

Almost certain ill be going for DH67CL-B3 because i will need a mobo that supports Sata 6GBps.

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Lets suppose i go for a phenom II x4 series processor, will it be compatible with DH67CL-C3 and a 6850/6870/7770? And if not which Mobo would be compatible ?[/font]

Thanks jakob, very helpful, wish i had know about this forum earlier. Going to get the rig tomorrow or the day after for sure.

The thing is my budget just increased by about 15k! This is why i am looking at getting a quad core processor along with a good enough graphics card that would last about 3 years.

You think it will be a good idea to go for DH67CL + i5 2400 + HD7770?

If your budget is increased get a full hd monitor-Dell ST2220L-8500/-,everything else as given below

Intel i5 2400 ~10,500/-

Intel DH67BL-B3~5400/-

Corsair Xms3 2X2GB 1333mhz-1400/- or Gskill Ripjaws 2X2GB 1333mhz-1500/-

Segate 500GB HDD-4000/-

Seasonic S12ii 520W-3600/- OR Corsair VX550-4300/-

Sapphire HD6870-11,400/- OR Wait for HD7850 to launch and when prices come down get HD6950-12,000/- or so.

Nzxt Gamma-2400/-

Combo Logitech K200-700/

Hope this helps.
happy19.gif

Hi juvetic u can go with jakob's config that is quite good and ur decision for goin to i5 is the correct decision, i5 is more than enough for gaming or any other 3D software for next 2 years. And for GPU there might be price drop so wait for it. Cause i bought GTX 460 for 13.5k but now GTX 560 is 13k. If u can means take that 6950 which is an awesome card.

I dont have any clue about that compatibility issue juvetic, when i called the customer care they said there might be a problem with ur graphic card. and its brand new sapphire, its works fine in my friends pc with MSi mother board. so i dont know exactly what is the problem. so i put GTX-460. I dont know Intels customer support is that much good. why dont u try ASUS, MSi or Gigabyte according to my knowledge and experience they are all having good customer support and replacement warranty etc. whatever above jakob's config is quite impressive. All the best

Thx prakasem. Already Decided on i5 2400 + DH67CL + 6870 HD mate. Hopefully this will be a good enough PC.
ohyeah.gif

Only problem is my dealer does not have the smps. He doesn't have seasonic but says production of corsair vx 550 has been stopped sometime back so that also not available. My options are Corsair GS 500 and Corsair TX650. Should i go for GS 500 ? Can anyone recommend any of these ? Otherwise which corsair SMPS should i go with ?

Rest everything is sorted all thanks to you guys. Made it a lot easier, also getting corsair xms3 1600 instead of 1333, 4GBX1 for 1500.

Can you guys guide me about the warranty/guarantee that each product carries ? Especially the GPU, because they are quite vulnerable, i've bought 3 gpu's in the last 2 years and so, spending ~12k on this one, i don't know if it's secure and normally how much time will it last ? Just a little worried about this, please guide me! Or should i go for a lower version, something like HD 7750 ?

One more thing guys, i've to go for a cooler master cabinet because Nzxt isn't available here, im getting Cooler master elite 430 for about 2800. Is this model worth it ? otherwise please suggest a cooler master model to buy! Thanks again.
<

Thanks guys, i got this rig assembled.

Intel i5-2400

Intel DH67CL-B3

Corsair[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] Value Ram 1X4GB 1333mhz[/font]

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]S[/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]eagate 500GB HDD[/font]

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Seasonic S12ii 520W[/font]

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Sapphire HD 6870[/font]

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Cooler Master elite 430[/font]

[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"]LG DVD writer.[/font]

How is it ?

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]It came to 39000 which i thought was Ok. What do you guys think ? Good deal or was i looted ?[/font]

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]This is my new PC - [/font]http://goo.gl/4sr6v

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Again, thanks for the advice guys, helped greatly.
<
[/font]

Congrats,prices are perfect,post the pics in showoff thread.Hope this rig will serve you for long time.
<
Thanks guys, i got this rig assembled.

Intel i5-2400

Intel DH67CL-B3

Corsair[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] Value Ram 1X4GB 1333mhz[/font]

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]S[/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]eagate 500GB HDD[/font]

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Seasonic S12ii 520W[/font]

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Sapphire HD 6870[/font]

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Cooler Master elite 430[/font]

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]LG DVD writer.[/font]

How is it ?

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]It came to 39000 which i thought was Ok. What do you guys think ? Good deal or was i looted ?[/font]

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]This is my new PC - [/font]http://goo.gl/4sr6v

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Again, thanks for the advice guys, helped greatly.
happy19.gif
[/font]

Back