Need Advice- Router for Home - ADSL + Fiber

Hi All,

I am planning to replace by good old Belkin Router with a faster one given my infra (read gadgets) at home has seen a change. Managed to zero on the following requirements:

1. Budget - upto 7k
  2. ADSL & Fiber Router. The one that takes LAN cables also as input in addition to phone cables.
  3. Router will be used to browse the internet and stream HD content from my NAS
  4. Should be dual band router.
  5. Should have good enough range for a 1500 sq ft flat.
  6. Should be able to handle 8+ devices - 4 phones, 1 desktop and 1 printer. I also have a Dune Prime & TV which would share the connection.
  7. USB ports are good to have but not compulsory.
  8. I am not interested in modifying the router(custom firmware, etc).
  9. While I would like to pick a AC router, I am not sure if my budget would allow the choice. I am looking for a N600 router to the least. Considering what I use is a very basic Belkin which I bought 4 years back.

I have not shortlisted any models....Thanks for your advice!

PS:Thanks @_Atif_ for the template :)

Last edited:
This is the most imp point.
5. Should have good enough range for a 1500 sq ft flat.
But this solely depends on how and where you place the router and what is the level of interference in that place. Use a Wifi analyser tool to check the level of interference and amount of other networks in your place. I use Wifi network Analyser
If there is a lot of disturbance or signal strength is not good in all places you want to use the wifi then it would be nice to buy a little cheaper router with the features you want and then add a access point for better signal reach in the entire house.

1) Budget is good.
2) Avoid a ADSL router as you might not get other advanced features in it. Settle for a seperate modem it will be better IMO. (For ADSL router you can designate one LAN port as a WAN port)
3) & 4) 2.4GHz = good signal strength at a longer distance 'compared' to 5GHz. You can easily get a dual band AC router in your range.
6) not an issue as long as the signal strength is good in your home. My 1800 DLink router handles 10+ devices.
7) Also possible within your range. But I have found its not very useful for storage but very good if you plan / have a printer in the home.
8) All new routers come with lots of features so dont think avg home user will even require to load custom f/w
9) Easily possible in your budget.

I would suggest the cheaper of the two so that if reqd you can add an Access Point to your setup and enjoy the best coverage. D-Link DIR-850L Wireless AC1200
Check the TPLink routers in this range.
You would really benefit from the Dlink smart beam technology but again its so expensive that its better to get the D-Link DIR-850L Wireless AC1200 and add a AP :)

Thanks...That makes sense.[DOUBLEPOST=1441791405][/DOUBLEPOST]I have placed an order for DIR-868 now...Hopefully I shall not repent my decision :)

Last edited:
Back