Need AM3 DDR3 motherboard within 5k

jc36lect3r

Skilled
Hello,

I am looking for a cheap motherboard for AMD Athlon II X3 440 which supports DDR3 ram. I do not need an IGP because I will be getting a graphics card. All the other components are fixed, only the motherboard remains.

Budget: 5K max

Brand preference: Gigabyte, Biostar, MSI - in that order

Will be used for : Basic gaming at 1600 x 1200

Overclocking: No

Will be getting it from SP Road. Dinesh recommended the 785GMT but its about 5.8k which is over budget. Looking for other options.

Any suggestions?

Biostar TA785G3HD ~ 4.4-4.8k. Good board which fulfills ur needs :) Well it does have an IGP. There are very few boards without IGP in the market and even they are overpriced when compared to boards with IGP.

If Gigabyte then try Gigabyte 785GMT-US2H. This should be a Rs.300-400 cheaper than the USB-3 model.

Thanks. Looks like there are not too many options here.

Tell me, when you are on a tight budget is it worthwhile to spend so much extra for a DDR3 platform as opposed to a DDR2 one? How much performance difference do we get for a say 4 GB DDR2 and a 4 GB DDR3?

jc36lect3r said:
Thanks. Looks like there are not too many options here.

Tell me, when you are on a tight budget is it worthwhile to spend so much extra for a DDR3 platform as opposed to a DDR2 one? How much performance difference do we get for a say 4 GB DDR2 and a 4 GB DDR3?
Im facing the same dilemma as you, i hope someone does throw some light on this.

Mephistopheles said:
Im facing the same dilemma as you, i hope someone does throw some light on this.
The DDR3 RAMs have low latency means faster responce or access of data than DDR2. Also DDR3 having higher bandwidth dan DDR2.:hap2:. After some time the prices of DDR2 and DDR3 will b almost equal, same way with DDR1. :cool2:

iXBT Labs - DDR2-800 vs. DDR3-1333. Does DDR3-1333 Make Sense?

There you go. Eventhough the results are pretty old the fact is there is not much of a difference between DDRII-800MHz CL5 and DDRIII-1333MHz CL9 even when using it with current age CPU's.
So if you already have 4GB of DDRII RAM and going for platform upgrade stick to your older chips and get a AM2+ mobo.

If a new build then get a AM3 mobo and DDRIII RAM. The price difference is very little now(Rs.300 for 2GB RAM) Also the difference in mobo cost is also <1k and AM3 mobos throws features like USB 3.0(few have SATA III too). Also future RAM upgrades will ger cheaper. DDRII will cost more than DDRIII prices after sometime(This is what happened in the case of DDRII and DDR).

DarkAngel said:
iXBT Labs - DDR2-800 vs. DDR3-1333. Does DDR3-1333 Make Sense?

There you go. Eventhough the results are pretty old the fact is there is not much of a difference between DDRII-800MHz CL5 and DDRIII-1333MHz CL9 even when using it with current age CPU's.

So if you already have 4GB of DDRII RAM and going for platform upgrade stick to your older chips and get a AM2+ mobo.

If a new build then get a AM3 mobo and DDRIII RAM. The price difference is very little now(Rs.300 for 2GB RAM) Also the difference in mobo cost is also <1k and AM3 mobos throws features like USB 3.0(few have SATA III too). Also future RAM upgrades will ger cheaper. DDRII will cost more than DDRIII prices after sometime(This is what happened in the case of DDRII and DDR).
When is the price of DDRII RAMs going over price of DDRIII RAMs expected?

Till last friday the price difference between DDR2 and DDR3 was quite huge, at least in S.P Road. 5000 for 4gb DDR3 and 2500 for 4gb DDR2. But ya, for future upgrades it is better to go for a DDR3 platform.

jc36lect3r said:
Till last friday the price difference between DDR2 and DDR3 was quite huge, at least in S.P Road. 5000 for 4gb DDR3 and 2500 for 4gb DDR2. But ya, for future upgrades it is better to go for a DDR3 platform.
4gb ddr2 is 5k currently

4gb ddr3 is 6k currently

HailStonE said:
Cheapest AM3 mobo supporting DDR3 RAM is.. ASUS M4N68T-M costing only 3k...

ASUSTeK Computer Inc.
I wouldn't recommend a AM3 mobo with nForce chipset. It works at HT 1.0 speeds with AM3 proccies. If u want the cheapest DDRIII mobo then get the Gigabyte MA-74GMT-S2 ~ 2.7k in smc website. Atleast its from a manufacturer who has better A.S.S and is a AMD/ATI chipset. But even that, works at HT 1.0 speeds with AM3 proccies.

So its better to go for the DDRII mobo instead of these ones.

Current market pricing is,

4GB DDRII Kingston 800MHz~ 4.6-4.7k

4GB DDRIII Kingston 1333MHz ~ 5.2-5.3k

www.deltapage.com

TheITWares -TheITwares Ecommerce

DarkAngel said:
I wouldn't recommend a AM3 mobo with nForce chipset. It works at HT 1.0 speeds with AM3 proccies. If u want the cheapest DDRIII mobo then get the Gigabyte MA-74GMT-S2 ~ 2.7k in smc website. Atleast its from a manufacturer who has better A.S.S and is a AMD/ATI chipset. But even that, works at HT 1.0 speeds with AM3 proccies.

So its better to go for the DDRII mobo instead of these ones.

Current market pricing is,
4GB DDRII Kingston 800MHz~ 4.6-4.7k
4GB DDRIII Kingston 1333MHz ~ 5.2-5.3k

www.deltapage.com
TheITWares -TheITwares Ecommerce

Not exactly... though HT 1.0 is a downer but it depends on ones upgrade path... DDRII at this time just to save that 300-500 bucks doesn't seems right... This board can be a good HTPC board if somebody is using a discreet GPU for HD offloading & want to go for DDR3....

Didn't knew about Gigabyte 740g model... It will obviously be a better choice compared to ASUS.

At this time getting a DDRII is insane... since OP has budget of 5k he can easily get AM3 board with support for HT 3.0....

HailStonE said:
Not exactly... though HT 1.0 is a downer but it depends on ones upgrade path... DDRII at this time just to save that 300-500 bucks doesn't seems right... This board can be a good HTPC board if somebody is using a discreet GPU for HD offloading & want to go for DDR3....

Didn't knew about Gigabyte 740g model... It will obviously be a better choice compared to ASUS.

At this time getting a DDRII is insane... since OP has budget of 5k he can easily get AM3 board with support for HT 3.0....
Yup. Thats my point too there are better boards around. If one is using it without a discrete GPU then the HT 1.0 definitely is a big downer as it affects the IGP performance IINM.
There are better choices around like the Biostar TA785 G3 ~4k and Biostar TA785 G3 HD ~ 4.5k. (Saw the listing in Techshop and PrimeABGB)

If OP is willing to spend slightly more then he can go for the my personal favorite :p Gigabyte 785GMT- USB3 ~ 5.5k from Prime as per price update thread.

Back