Need AMD PC for 30k

Brendon

Skilled
  • Q: What is your budget?
    • 30k fixed
  • Q: What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
    • None
  • Q: Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
    • None
  • Q: Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
    • Need a full PC
    • He is fixated on AMD and wants an AMD quad core PC
  • Q: Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
    • Final upgrade for at least 3 years
  • Q: Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
    • Mumbai Lamington Road
  • Q: Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
    • No
  • Q: What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
    • Autocad drawings (primary purpose)
    • Some HD movies
    • No gaming
  • Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
    • I have had a great experience with Gigabyte motherboards so would prefer one if possible
  • Q: If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
    • No gaming
  • Q: What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
    • Desktop - 1650x1050 (full HD if possible within budget)
  • Q: Are you looking to overclock?
    • Nope
  • Q: Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
    • Windows 7 64 bit

I have very little knowledge about AMD so need help. He will be buying this day after tomorrow from Lamington Road.

Intel i3 2100-6.2k

Intel DH67BL-B3-5.6k

Corsair XMS3 2X4GB 1600mhz-3.4k OR Gskill Ripjaws 2X4GB 1600mhz-3.5k

Segate 500GB 7200 RPM-4k

Corsair CX430V2-2.2k OR Seasonic S12ii 430W-3k

Nzxt Gamma-2.4k

Dell ST2220L-8.5k

Intel i3 performs better than phenomii X4 and consumes less power than amd.

If your friend really want to go for amd then go for

AMD Phenomii X4 955-6k + GIGABYTE GA-880GM-USB3L-5.2k and everything else as above.

Hope this helps.
<

Intel i3 2100-6.2k

Intel DH67BL-B3-5.6k

Corsair XMS3 2X4GB 1600mhz-3.4k OR Gskill Ripjaws 2X4GB 1600mhz-3.5k

Segate 500GB 7200 RPM-4k

Corsair CX430V2-2.2k OR Seasonic S12ii 430W-3k

Nzxt Gamma-2.4k

Dell ST2220L-8.5k

Intel i3 performs better than phenomii X4 and consumes less power than amd.

If your friend really want to go for amd then go for

AMD Phenomii X4 955-6k + GIGABYTE GA-880GM-USB3L-5.2k and everything else as above.

Hope this helps.
happy19.gif

Almost a good RIG posted their Sire, please note IGP's have horrible problems with 3D software suites. I am speaking with experience using a Core i3 2100 [in conjunction the HD 2000 IGP] based system in college while working on Autodesk MAYA 2011 /2012 the viewports were absolute miscreants, texture tearing and going 'invisible' when viewed at a certain angle.

I would suggest following changes in the system --
  1. Instead of the NZXT Gamma, OP can go for the NZXT Source Elite 210 ~2200/- OR Cooler Master eLite 311 ~2000/-.
  2. If OP has graphical issues while running AutoCAD, then I stongly urge him to invest on a graphics card on the lines of the GTX 550Ti ~7000/- OR Quadro FX-600 ~9500/-.
  3. Corsair CX V2 430W is good enough, should not over-stretch his modest budget to go for the Seasonic SMPS.
  4. OP can go for a 4GB x1 module 1333MHz RAM ~1100/-. Add more RAM if feels the need down the line.

That will be it. Hope this helps, Cheers!!

Hey thanks for the quick help guys, did a lot more googling yesterday and you are right. There is a rather substantial difference between the Core i3 and the more expensive AMD GPUs.
<

Ill push him for the Intel config but will probably take a more generic case than the NZXT gamma. The Corsair 430W should be fine considering he won't be going into a heavy duty mbd or indulge in overclocking.

Will see if I can push in a graphics card in his budget.

Also err what exactly happened to HDD prices ? I distinctly remember getting a brand new 1 TB HDD for 2.7k just over 1.5 years back. When did a 500 GB HDD become 4k ?? I feel like I have gone back in time !
<

Also err what exactly happened to HDD prices ? I distinctly remember getting a brand new 1 TB HDD for 2.7k just over 1.5 years back. When did a 500 GB HDD become 4k ?? I feel like I have gone back in time !

#[member='Brendon'] Sire this happened that the prices have sky-rocketed -- http://www.nytimes.c...?pagewanted=all / http://blog.macsales...y-prices-update / http://www.financema...dicted-to-rise/.

take a more generic case than the NZXT Gamma.

That will be fine Sire, go for the NZXT Source Elite 210 ~2000/- OR Cooler Master eLite 311 ~2000/-. Anything below these cabinets is the Cooler Master eLite 310 ~1500/-, but knowing Bombay and its humid climes I think the unpainted interiors will succumb to Corrosion real quick.

Will see if I can push in a graphics card in his budget.

Let him run without the graphics card, if things are fine no need to push for this, if artifacting and viewport issues persists then go for a graphics card as the last resort.

Hope this helps, Cheers!!

I would suggest to go for a i5 with IGP and upgrade to a discrete GPU when it becomes permitted later on. IMO, Autocad drawings are more CPU than GPU intensive, though not sure about that anymore.

Also, it would be difficult to fit all this in a 30K budget.

Also, if possible, try to push in Ivy Bridge if its permited in the the budget and if available (unsure) for the slightly better IGP.

Hey Vivek, i5 is probably not going to happen. A 5k increase in budget will be a bit difficult IMO. He isn't a power user so I don't think he will feel very limited with the i3.

However I will ask him about it tomorrow. Lets see.
<

@Alpha - Ah thanks ! Didn't read the sticky.

#[member='vivek.krishnan'] I would suggest to go for a i5 with IGP and upgrade to a discrete GPU when it becomes permitted later on. IMO, Autocad drawings are more CPU than GPU intensive, though not sure about that anymore.

Agreed, if limited by his budget, OP can also give the Thuban cores a chance Phenom IIx6 1055T should be ~7500/-.

Also, I have already said I used Autodesk MAYA 2011 / 2012 on a Core i3 2100 + HD 2000 [1GB shared V-RAM] and 3GB 1333MHz RAM in my college. MAYA was un-runnable with the Intel HD graphics and the support driver did not helps at all [for all the losers who descry AMD drivers, check Intel HD drivers]. The viewports were next to unusable, polygons and control gymbles were artificating like no tomorrow and if I changed the camera angle, viola!! My mesh became invisible.

After that day I started working on a AMD 4000+ based PC with Quadro FX-390 cards.

Now I am not saying the same might happen to OP, but if it happens the only solution I see is a decent graphics card.

Hope this clarifies the air, Cheers!!

#[member='Brendon'] Sire, to tag people use #, i.e., #[member='vivek.krishnan'].

I do agree, if OP can invest a little more a quad-core Phenom IIx4 / IIx6 will be a better bet keeping the AutoCAD work on the prime usage back-burner and the fact that the budget is constrained. Primarily because such software react better to actual cores vis-a-vis Hyper-Threaded cores.

So you are saying the IGP on something like an AMD 3870 is a better bet (for running AutoCAD) than an i3 ?

If so then ill definitely push him for that considering he wanted an AMD config in the first place.

And the GIGABYTE GA-880GM-USB3L will suffice for the AMD rig correct ?

And thanks again for all the help.
<

Yes the Gigabyte mobo mentioned above will suffice,i think you'll need an external gpu for the AutoCad renders,The HD3870 will suffice for Viewport purpose but while rendering the system will lag.So if you can go for Quadro 600-9.5k
So you are saying the IGP on something like an AMD 3870 is a better bet (for running AutoCAD) than an i3 ?

If so then ill definitely push him for that considering he wanted an AMD config in the first place.

And thanks again for all the help.
happy19.gif

#[member='Brendon'], Sire

No I doubt an IGP will be sufficient for your friends purpose. I am just saying considering Intel's track-record with its HD IGP's and their *ahem* drivers *cough* and my experience with the same in college. I doubt an IGP will be decent.

Next as your friend is seriously tight on budget and CAD is a CPU-hog and that is his main purpose, I recommend that you look at the Phenom IIx6 1055T ~7500/-.
  • The two extra cores will help in performance vis-a-vis Intel Hyper Thread architecture based Core i3 models and it is not as expensive as Intel Core i5 line-up.
  • Next as your friend is not gaming, Thuban's poor gaming performance doesn't intrude.
  • HE is not going to upgrade the system in the next three years, Hex-core is the way to go atleast in this case.

If the onboard IGP on thee 880G chipset is not good enough and your friend faces issues with his interface in AutoCAD only then buy a discrete graphics card.

Yep it will be a good buy. In fact a better than the GA-880GM-UD2H, as it supports USB 3.0 ports.

Did not get you here Sire, are you talking about the AMD A6-3870 APU OR AMD HD 3870 graphics card?

If your friend is keen on APU's then he can go for an A6-3850 ~7900/- and pair it with a decent FM1 socket based motherboard.

Productivity applications react better to nVidia graphics card due to support provided by nVidia plug-ins and the CUDA core architecture.

Yes I was referring to the graphics on the A8 3870 as its better than most IGPs available.

But if Autocad is more CPU intensive then ill get the AMD 1055T instead since its not too much more than the 3870 or Core i3 and much cheaper than an i5.

Thanks for all the help guys. I think I have a pretty good idea of what to look out for when I head to Lamington Road tomorrow.
<

There's been scarcity of phenom II X4 series,X6 series will be available easily though.
Yes I was referring to the graphics on the A8 3870 as its better than most IGPs available.

But if Autocad is more CPU intensive then ill get the AMD 1055T instead since its not too much more than the 3870 or Core i3 and much cheaper than an i5.

Thanks for all the help guys. I think I have a pretty good idea of what to look out for when I head to Lamington Road tomorrow.
happy19.gif

Ah cool good to know.
<

My friend will be happy with the idea of getting 6 cores when Intel is offering 2. Never mind that those 2 cores will outperform the 6 in most apps but its a psychological feeling.
<

Back