Need cheapest motherboard for 5950x

550 should be absolutely fine, but be ready to spend at least 15k to make sure the motherboard has decent VRM. This is a good reference video:

I'd suggest the Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro or the MSI Mag B550 Tomahawk, available for about 15.5k and 16.8k respectively.

You can go even cheaper with the older B450 MAX series from MSI. With BIOS updates they support zen3. Although you'll miss PICE 4.0 which IMO is useless ATM.

OP - Just out of curiosity, and im genuinely asking, you have bought a beast of a CPU..why are you looking for the cheapest possible board for it? Future proof yourself and get a nice x570 IMO. But you surely have your reasons.

OP - Just out of curiosity, and im genuinely asking, you have bought a beast of a CPU..why are you looking for the cheapest possible board for it? Future proof yourself and get a nice x570 IMO. But you surely have your reasons.
+1 to that. I would get a MSI Mortar B550 at least.

I would suggest you wait a bit to get a decent board because running a tier 1 CPU on a cheap board is not something I would do. The VRM/MOSFET on cheap boards might not keep up with a flagship CPU in the long run.

+1 to that. I would get a MSI Mortar B550 at least.

I would suggest you wait a bit to get a decent board because running a tier 1 CPU on a cheap board is not something I would do. The VRM/MOSFET on cheap boards might not keep up with a flagship CPU in the long run.
+1 to the MSI board one of the best. Thats the minimum you should look at or a Asus Tuf B550m Gaming around 14k

its not about running it on cheap board , its about running it on good vrm which is available at cheap rates if pcie 4.0 is not a requirement you might get good prices on b450 and x470 on the street ,as b450 and x570 x570s are the last for A , why not save money and repurpose it

its not about running it on cheap board , its about running it on good vrm which is available at cheap rates if pcie 4.0 is not a requirement you might get good prices on b450 and x470 on the street ,as b450 and x570 x570s are the last for A , why not save money and repurpose it
I completely agree. You can get very good VRMs on boards like B450 Tomahawk Max or similar B550 board.
This might be bit outdated but still a very good reference: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...TJFqqVxdCR9daIVNyMatydkpFA/edit#gid=611478281

Unless OP is sure to upgrade in the next 2 years then sacrificing PCIE 4 is OK. If not, that is likely to become the norm in 2 years or so. Considering OP has paid 70k on a CPU.. spending a few thousands more makes sense to future proof things.

PCIE 4.0 ain't going to become a norm anytime soon. Considering there's little to none benefit from SATA SSDs in random I/O performance and daily use. PCIE 3.0 SSDs are considerably cheaper than the latter.
As for Graphics cards, they don't even saturate PCIE 3.0 bandwidth yet.

Yeah if you sit all day and do benchmarks then sure PCIE 4.0 matters. Also there's no point in future proofing anything on AM4 now as zen3 is the last generation you'll see on AM4 as apparently Zen3+ (Warhol) is reportedly cancelled. There's no point in spending more money on AM4 as AM5 will be out next year H2.

PCIE 4.0 ain't going to become a norm anytime soon. Considering there's little to none benefit from SATA SSDs in random I/O performance and daily use. PCIE 3.0 SSDs are considerably cheaper than the latter.
As for Graphics cards, they don't even saturate PCIE 3.0 bandwidth yet.

Yeah if you sit all day and do benchmarks then sure PCIE 4.0 matters. Also there's no point in future proofing anything on AM4 now as zen3 is the last generation you'll see on AM4 as apparently Zen3+ (Warhol) is reportedly cancelled. There's no point in spending more money on AM4 as AM5 will be out next year H2.
But the 5950x will last 3+ years most likely. So while AM5 may be out next year, it doesn't make sense to ask OP to upgrade twice. Any way..these are my thoughts..to each his/her own. Not forcing my opinions on anyone :)

Back