Graphic Cards Need help buying GPU for my PSU. Budget 12k

Hi all, my 8800 GTS went kaput just 2-3 days ago with all vertical yellow lines appearing all over my monitor so I have decided to buy a new GPU as warranty on the 8800 is over already :(
Now, I have a liberal budget of 12k for my new GPU.....but the only bar is that I am using CoolerMaster eXtreme 500W PSU.
So, as suggested in SidhuPunjab's guide I wanted to go for the Palit GeForce 260 Core but need to know will my PSU be able to provide enough power coz it has only one 6-pin connector and the 260 needs 2. Although I have free molex, would it be a good idea to vouch for the 260 or should I go for another graphic card?
So, some stuff I need you'l to help me with:
1. Should I buy 260 GTX with my present PSU?
2. Assuming I don't want to buy a new PSU which GPU should I go for?
3. Assuming I want to buy a new PSU which GPU and PSU should I go for?
Thank YOU :)

Sell that PSU it should get you 1.5k. So you are on a budget of 13k- 14k.(you can add 0.5k) if so buy a HD4870 (9k) 512mb sapphire with a corsair 450VX(4k). Its performance is equal to the GTX260 in most games. In some cases the GTX260 is faster in others the HD4870.

though what is your monitor and pc config ?

Present Config is:
E6420 Core 2 Duo Proc.
8800 GTS 320MB
XFX 650i Ultra Mobo
CM 500W eXtreme PSU
Corsair 667 MHz 2x1GB RAM
Viewsonic VG1930wm monitor
SATA HDD 7200 rpm
and DVD+RW Drive

Btw, ATI card compaitible with my mobo? and also can't I use a molex adaptor instead of buyin a new PSU?

Your PSU dosen't have enough juice for a strong card like a HD4870 but on the other hand a HD4870 is overkill for a 19" monitor.

You can run an ati card on an nvidia chipset mobo. the only thing it can't do crossfire.

I recommend getting a Sapphire 512mb HD4850 ( 7k) with a new proccy and ram. and get a new proccy like a E7400(5.5K) and Corsair 4gb 800Mhzram (3k). I think selling your RAM and proccy should get you get you enough money to buy all that for 15.5k- 16k. Its will be a nice upgrade and and you should be able to play all games even crysis maxed out. A HD4850 should be able to run on your current PSU.

You psu will not be able to handle gtx 260.As you will be playing on 1440 resolution a sapphire hd4850 will be enough for you.Sell your current psu and get a vx450.

A HD 4850 can run Crysis at 12x10 or 14x9 High not V H with Shadows on low.

whats the point of your post.

ur mobo has support for core 2 quad and core 2 duo...so sell ur cpu and psu...and buy a quad or e8400....then buy sapphire 4850 and vx 450

try used items .......u can build a very good system with that money...

can some one explain this to me ... what is the advantage of having a quad core cpu @ lower frequency then a dual core when 99% of the games dont all the cores ... unless i am missing something ?

coming the question in hand i use that same psu with a 4850 and it seems to be doing fine ... so i guess that card should be okey for u and u can pick one up for half ur budget

Wait a min. Why is every1 telling me to buy a new PSU? I think HD4850 needs only 1 6-pin connector and this 1 is good enuf for it? Correct me if I'm wrong.
Yes, I will be buying new RAM. Again, why buy new proccy? With a new RAM ill be able to OC this to atleast 3.5 GHz coz I could OC this to 3.0 GHz with 667 MHz RAM.

Well, ok final question....should I go for GTS 250 or HD4850 since from the posts above I think both can be supported by my PSU? Well, I was thinking of going got the 250 unless its much costlier than the HD4850 because I heard HD4850 has heating issues sometimes but still need your opinions :)
Thank You

windhawk91 said:
Well, ok final question....should I go for GTS 250 or HD4850 since from the posts above I think both can be supported by my PSU? Well, I was thinking of going got the 250 unless its much costlier than the HD4850 because I heard HD4850 has heating issues sometimes but still need your opinions :)
Thank You
GTS 250 is nothign but your old 8800 in new stickers
( apart from minor clock overclock and 55 nm fab)

windhawk91 said:
So ur telling me to go for 4850?

wait for others to pitch in, i haven't used both the cards, from reviews
4850 is better, or 4770 (which is not a VFM any more)

4850 has issues heating /power , there are some newer models and DDR5 ones
that might suit you.

Performance wise both are almost equal, decide whatever you like, IMO GTS 250 can be a choice if it is costlier by 500 buks not more then that, you get slightly lower power consumption + physics.. better check out the review, google "4850 vs gts 250" ..

windhawk91 said:
Wait a min. Why is every1 telling me to buy a new PSU?

you asked which gpu to buy and people are rebuilding your entire system for you :bleh:

get a 4850... it's a decent card and you'll save some money from your budget which you can later use for other upgrades or stuff. i'd usually recommend the nvidia option but i'm not sure how good the gts250 is. if they are similar in performance, choose whichever brand you prefer. nvidia does have a few advantages over ati i would say (driver support, physx etc), but that's my opinion.

Back