Need help configuring newly taken broadband connection

Fellas,

After waiting for Jio fibre for weeks and finally realising I will never get it due to unavailability, so I went ahead and took Hathway's broadband and connection was set up last night (screenshot attached). This is supposed to be a FTTH connection but I am not so sure. I was provided a ZTE ZXHN F601 ONT and they offered me a Dual band DLink router but after seeing I have Netgear one they said mine is better and advised me to keep mine. Mine is a really old WNR1000 N150 router.

I have been downloading this and that torrent since last 24 hours and I see speeds are all over the place. For some files the speed is better than Alliance, which I is what I am coming from, but for some the speed is really slow compared to Alliance. These are torrents from public trackers (haven't tried pvt. like IPT but I am sure it will not be a problem). All the torrent sites like TPB and others, even IPT, are totally blocked by the way, I had to use VPN to access them.

I am just enquiring what I can do to optimise the connection, thereby making sure I get full speed in downloading torrents. I have Green Tunnel and goodbyedpi etc. installed but I don't use them because I don't understand them (I am dumb). Also, there's this thing called port forwarding and all, how do I make sure that it's enabled, does it help in download speeds etc.? Another important thing is, a German CS server where I play at, the latency there is hovering around 170 ms, which is tad higher than what I am used to (on early days of Alliance I used to get 140 ms on this server), so what to do to lower the latency on the server? And lastly, does a better router help in speedier and better connection on PC? I don't care about the fancy WiFi stuffs.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 2020-09-20_00-46-24.png
    2020-09-20_00-46-24.png
    183 KB · Views: 137
Torrent speed depend on number of seeder and how fast their connection are..

GTPL in my area don't let me download torrent from public tracker, most of time it show no connection.

Private tracker always work and I have to use VPN for public tracker download

Ask the ISP to optimize your connection, hathway, den are far too lazy to do that after setup. I donno what they do but i had bd speed issues initially and had to press them to optimize it which settled my problems.

Use dlink router, at least try it once should be better than that 150 netgear if its higher thna that

As someone above said torrents speed depends upon how many seeders are there and what's the location etc. You can't compare really.

Believe me if hathway is there in your locality the jio fiber will take quite a long long time to arrive, if you aren't already aware, both den and hathway have been Taken over by jio.. And they aren't planning to merge them together or with jio for now.

Has the ISP asked you to use the specific DNS?
No not at all. They came and set up everything within couple of mins and left before I could even ask anything. Haven't seen such lightning fast configuring Lol. Not that it required any extensive work anyhow. Should I change to Google DNS or any other?
Torrent speed depend on number of seeder and how fast their connection are..

GTPL in my area don't let me download torrent from public tracker, most of time it show no connection.

Private tracker always work and I have to use VPN for public tracker download
Yes, they mainly depend on the number of seeders and how fast they are uploading etc., but there's also the fact how your ISP is routing the connection. It's weird to know that GTPL, a local cable broadband doesn't let you download torrents from public trackers, after all that's why people use these DOCSIS type internet at first place, their open nature!
Ask the ISP to optimize your connection, hathway, den are far too lazy to do that after setup. I donno what they do but i had bd speed issues initially and had to press them to optimize it which settled my problems.

Use dlink router, at least try it once should be better than that 150 netgear if its higher thna that

As someone above said torrents speed depends upon how many seeders are there and what's the location etc. You can't compare really.

Believe me if hathway is there in your locality the jio fiber will take quite a long long time to arrive, if you aren't already aware, both den and hathway have been Taken over by jio.. And they aren't planning to merge them together or with jio for now.
How did you do that? I mean should I call the local guy or just email them to optimise my connection. I can't even login to their selfcare portal! Keeps saying something went wrong!

I am using Green Tunnel for the time being, and it lets me open all the torrent sites, it doesn't have any positive impact on download speeds though. I also have that goodbyedpi, should I use that instead?

Another thing which I definitively need to know is, whether using a better router helps with lower latency or better speeds.

No not at all. They came and set up everything within couple of mins and left before I could even ask anything. Haven't seen such lightning fast configuring Lol. Not that it required any extensive work anyhow. Should I change to Google DNS or any other?

Yes, they mainly depend on the number of seeders and how fast they are uploading etc., but there's also the fact how your ISP is routing the connection. It's weird to know that GTPL, a local cable broadband doesn't let you download torrents from public trackers, after all that's why people use these DOCSIS type internet at first place, their open nature!

How did you do that? I mean should I call the local guy or just email them to optimise my connection. I can't even login to their selfcare portal! Keeps saying something went wrong!

I am using Green Tunnel for the time being, and it lets me open all the torrent sites, it doesn't have any positive impact on download speeds though. I also have that goodbyedpi, should I use that instead?

Another thing which I definitively need to know is, whether using a better router helps with lower latency or better speeds.
Well call their customer care ans complaint about slow speed off and on
Chk with speed test the connection speed at various times.

Use better router, you have to have a dual channel gigabit router to have decent and stable speed provided the connection is stable too with appropriate snr values and stuff ( forgetting those terms)

Well call their customer care ans complaint about slow speed off and on
Chk with speed test the connection speed at various times.

Use better router, you have to have a dual channel gigabit router to have decent and stable speed provided the connection is stable too with appropriate snr values and stuff ( forgetting those terms)
OK. Can you recommend a good router dual channel gigabit one? I can't afford the really expensive ones. I have been using Netgear for as long as I can remember.

And how do I check the SNR values etc.? Please apprise.

No need
Just check speed and ping that the speed test shows and match it to what the isp claims

Check here for routers

What's the speed of your connection

No need
Just check speed and ping that the speed test shows and match it to what the isp claims

Check here for routers

What's the speed of your connection
I have the basic plan, 50 mbps only. I plan to upgrade to 100 mbps after 3-month period though but I won't be needing any more speed in near future. So those TP Link routers work well I mean in terms of longevity?

I have the basic plan, 50 mbps only. I plan to upgrade to 100 mbps after 3-month period though but I won't be needing any more speed in near future. So those TP Link routers work well I mean in terms of longevity?
Yes indeed they are all great
Get the ones with mimo, gigabit and atleast ac 1200 or 1350 for good quality and for being future proof

Back