CPU/Mobo Need help deciding Processor + mb combo for 20k

ak56u

Disciple
  1. What is your budget?
  2. What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
    • CPU - Intel C2D
    • Motherboard - NA
    • GPU - AMD HD 7750
    • RAM - NS
    • Monitor - AOC E2243
    • PSU - Corsair Cx420 v2
    • Sound : Asus Xonar DG
    • HD: WD 500 GB
    • Cabinet - NZXT 921 rb
  3. Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
    • Monitor - AOC E2243
    • PSU - Corsair Cx420 v2
    • GPU - AMD HD 7750
    • Sound - Asus Xonar DG
    • Cabinet - NZXT 921 RB
    • Hd - WD 500 GB
  4. Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
    • CPU - Preference for intel
    • Motherboard - any compatible motherboard
    • RAM - 2x 2 GB
  5. Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
    • Delhi
    • Open to online purchase
  6. Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
No
  1. What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
    • Gaming
    • Browsing
    • HTPC
    • Download rig, 24x7 operation
    • Watching HD movies
  2. Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
Preference for intel.
  1. If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
    • GTA 5
    • Upcoming COD
    • X-Plane 10
  2. What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
    1. Gaming - Full HD preferred
    2. Desktop - 1080x1920
  3. Are you looking to overclock?
    • Strict No
  4. Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
    • Windows 7 64 bit

i5 4460 + Asus H97M-E = 11k+7k
You can save another 1000-1500 if you opt for a B85 board, but the 9 series chipsets also support the next die shrink aka Broadwell so you can just swap out the proccy to upgrade after a couple of years.

I won't be upgrading my processor or motherboard for a good 3-4 years. So I think I will stick to a B85 board. Can you suggest me the B85 board I should go for? The best price I am getting for i5 4460 is 12.5 k from theitdepot. From where can I get it for 11k?

I'm still confused ab
Most of the users picked it up locally for around 11-11.5k, check prices in stores.
As for mobo, i recommend this
http://www.gigabyte.in/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4567#ov
If you prefer Asus these are your options:
http://www.asus.com/in/Motherboards/B85MG/
There's this one too which is under 5k but with only 2 ram slots
http://www.asus.com/in/Motherboards/B85MK/
I am still confused about the motherboard. I'm getting a quote of Gigabyte H97-D3H for 6800. Is it a good buy or should I go for Asus H97M-E, which I'm getting for ~7.5 k.

You said you were going for B85. As for those two boards, performance will be the same, choose the one that suits your needs and budget, the GB one seems to be full ATX and has more expansion slots.

A side note, the 4460 is a haswell refresh processor, i.e. BIOS needs to be up to date on the B85 board for it to work. Only the 9x chipsets support haswell refresh out of the box.

A side note, the 4460 is a haswell refresh processor, i.e. BIOS needs to be up to date on the B85 board for it to work. Only the 9x chipsets support haswell refresh out of the box.

Thanks for the heads up. I'm certainly thinking of investing a little extra to buy a 9x chipset motherboard.

You said you were going for B85. As for those two boards, performance will be the same, choose the one that suits your needs and budget, the GB one seems to be full ATX and has more expansion slots.

I think I will go for Gigabyte H97-D3H. I will need an extra PCI slot for the sound card (Asus Xonar DG) apart from the one for my GPU (AMD HD 7750). Please tell me if there would be any compatibility issues.

I'm also getting a Kingston 2 GB Ram with 1600 mhz for ~1400. Should I go for Kingston or should I pay 600 extra per RAM to buy G.skill Rip Jaws (also 1600 mhz). Will there be any difference in the performance?

No compatibility issues whatsoever.
As for RAM you'll have to compare the timings, although i don't think it'll make any difference for your requirements so get the cheaper one.

My final configuration is this-

New Items:
Processor-Intel i5 4460 ~11.5 k
Motherboard-Gigabyte GA H97M-D3H LGA 1150 ~5800
RAM- Kingston HyperX 4GBx1 1600 MHZ ~2600
SSD- Will add later

Salvaged Items:
Cabinet- NZXT 921 RB
PSU- Corsair CX 420 V2
GPU-Gigabyte HD 7750
Sound Card- Asus Xonar DG
HD- WD 500 GB

Is this configuration good? Also, are the prices I'm getting okay or can I get a better price?

Last edited:
Back