Need help for buying Inverter

clown_abhi

Skilled
Hi,

I want to buy a inverter for my Dad's place but am so confused with the range of options available.

I have gone through the search option in TE to find all relevant links but the reccommended option of APC is not available here locally.

Anyway, first my needs:

My house is in a place where there is a 3 phase supply but it has lot of fluctuations from 120V to 240V. We have a stabiliser which is for the entire house. Now, there are powercuts on all days of a week. Usually they are couple of hours in a day. During that time, i need to run
- 5x25W CFL
- 4x70W Fans
- A 29" CRT TV
- If possible, a computer with LCD (150W)

I have the following options available locally - Microtek, Luminous and Sukam.

I want a Sine wave inverter. Microtek has so many options like Sine Wave UPS E, SEB, MEB.
Luminous and Sukam also have lots. And the strange thing is they have either 800 or 1400VA inverters. Why no 1000VA like APC? And which one of these inverters should i take?

For my needs where i need more than 650W, i think 1000VA suited the best. But now i don't know which one to go for, since i can hardly find any. My budget is <25k for the entire setup. Do all these companies provide onsite warranty? And which has the best service...

Please help me...

Well one has to know that efficiency of a inverter as well so a su kam 1400va can handle a load of 940watt and a apc 1000va can handle a load of 660watts.
So if you want to run all the above then you will require a a 1400va inverter.
Well most companies provide on-site warranty.
on batteries i suggest a pair of 100ah batteries like exide inva red or the new amaron tubular batteries.

I knew you would be there adder :) You have a response in nearly every inverter thread i saw :p

Does it mean that taking a 1400VA inverter would require taking batteries of higher power?

If i am leaving out the comp, is it better to take a 100VA inverter or a 1400VA one?

Do you know of any specific model from Sukam or Microtek which i can take?

How much do the exide red cost?

Well the advantage of using high capacity batteries is apart from the longer backup times , they will be discharged to a lesser extent ,there by increasing the battery life,so good if your area has frequent power cuts.

I don't think that you will be running all the 4 fans and 5 lights at a time,but in summer you will mostly use all the fans.
Yes if you take the computer out of load then you are fine with a 1000va which will be more then enough and if you had a 32" or a 40" lcd or a 52" LED-lcd even a 800va inverter would have been enough.
I am not sure the inverter can handle a 29" tvs cold start,which is switching On the TV when its in back up mode and you will mostly see the inverter trip and restart when its already given a load of 50%,but will work perfectly fine if the tv was already running when the power cut happened.
Su-kam falcon should be good,although i would recommend a APC1000va inverter if you minus the computer from the load.

The exide invared 115ah(100ah at C10) battery should cost around 9k or less each,the price was cheap some 4 months ago when the vat and other taxes were cheaper.

Amaron also has launched new tubular batteries about 3 months ago though not yet updated in their websites,its prices similar to exide inva red and also comes with 3 year warranty.

Thanks a lot adder :)

Are you suggesting to go with the Falcon Series. But they are 800VA, while i think i would require 1000VA or more. I can take the Smiley Series though, even if it is 1400VA.

Can you tell me one thing...I thought i had to buy a inverter buy what i am buying is a Home UPS. Then what's the difference between the two? Is it only this that i would not require a UPS with this setup?

The battery backup time would depend on the capacity of the battery and not on the rating of the inverter, right? So if i can calculate the backup time using only the battery capacit, if i am not wrong.

Won't 9k per battery come to exceed my budget? Are there any other options within my budget?

Well thats right you don't get the 1000va in falcon i meant the smiley series.Well in india their is no specific accepted term .APC and some others call them Home Ups other companies call it a inverter.

But the computer UPS more specifically line interactive UPS correct the voltage using their electronic circuit ,transformer and will not output more then the preset output voltage which is usually around 240v to 250v in the case of APC, where as a home ups or inverter in the event of high voltage will just go into back up mode to give a constant voltage.

I use a line interactive APC1000UXI smart ups for the house,since this is line interactive one cannot use more then the rated capacity even when its running in AC main,where as a home ups or inverter one shouldn't exceed the rated output only when its in back up/battery mode.

Since you have a voltage stabilizer for the entire house you are fine with a inverter or home ups.

Again thats correct the battery capacity is based on the backup time and the load,if you use small capacity batteries and discharge it in 1hrs to 2hr,the lead plates will get hot and the batteries will require more maintenance with frequent addition of distill water .
It is again not recommended to discharge a battery beyond 80% discharged state,doing so will reduce the battery life.

18k for battery and 7k for UPS is within your 25k budget.the APC 1000va costs around 6.8k or less including tax.

Your other options are 850va models which use only single battery which is good since for eg a 160ah battery will be cheaper then say 2 80ah batteries which is required for 1000va and 1400va models.

If you had a lcd all you need is a 800va inverter,but AMARON has renamed its UPS division from xenon to tribal.they claim that their inverters are close to 80% efficient ,when i asked the dealers they said that its around 70% to 75% efficient meaning it can handle a load of 560 to 600watt which should be within your rated load excluding the PC and it works with a single battery.
with a 160ah amaron battery with 3 year warranty and 800va tribal inverter and a steel trolley they quoted around 19k over the phone with no bargaining.

Its also better to buy the UPS and battery from the same shop since they both will be taxed at 5%,if you separately then the battery will be taxed at 13.5%,but then again UPS dealers quote the battery price slightly higher then battery dealers.so you need to find the right price.

Ok, i will ask my Dad to get some prices and model availability tomorrow. Anyway, the TV will go out in a few months, so i think a 800VA might do.

Did check out the Tribal range, but its again not available in my place.

I want to go for APC but it is not available locally, hence the problem. Lynx has it but is charging 900 bucks for shipping. :( I am trying for Sukam or Luminous which is available with the dealers locally.

Will update in a day or two. Thanks for all your help buddy :)

Got the Microtek 875VA Sine wave Inverter (5000), coz of good local service and an Exide Invatubular 150Ah battery (13000) with 4 years warranty...

Need to run 3 fans, 3 CFLs and a LCD now...So i guess this should do it.

Thank You all for your suggestions.

Back