Budget 90k+ Need help in building a high performance desktop

Hi All

First of all I would state the intended use of the desktop :

* Academic use : Run computationally intensive matlab programs requiring high level of parallel execution
* Budget can be around 1 lakh rupees.

Other requirements :

* Should run Windows
* Maybe a core i7 hexa-core (Core™ i7-4960X Processor Extreme Edition ?) (is the i7 octa-core commercially available ?)
* Requires lots of RAM (maybe around 32 Gb) - So need an optimal mother board and optimal RAM configuration : 4x8 ? 16x2 ? What frequency RAM to use ?
* Proper power supply ?
* SSD ?

And a doubt :

* Would having a good graphics card help in Matlab processing ?

Thanks in advance.

Here is the requirements as per the template :

- Budget : 100K
- I will only be reusing my display(s2240m, 21.5", Dell), keyboard and mouse.
- I am looking to buy a new CPU including chassis and power supply.

Maybe a core i7 hexa-core (Core™ i7-4960X Processor Extreme Edition ?)

Is the i7 octa-core commercially available

- Dont plan on upgrading.

- Will be buying from bangalore I guess. I place the order to some guy through he institute. So not sure where exctly he procures the stuff from.

- No second hand

- Academic use : Run computationally intensive matlab programs requiring high level of parallel execution

- No brand pref

- No games

- already have a monitor

- no overclocking most prbbly. But would be good o have overclock friendly setup i guess

- would prefer windows 7 64bit

Hi Mamatha Venugopal,

I would like to add a word to help in build of PC. Here are some options for you.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor.
Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VII HERO ATX LGA1150 Motherboard.
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory.
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive.
Secondary: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive.
GPU:MSI GeForce GTX 760 2GB TWIN FROZR Video Card.
Power Supply : Corsair Professional 750W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply.
Case: NZXT H440 (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case.

I believe these components are best for programing and academic use. Also, this configuration allows for overclocking, as long as you have a stable power supply and a good case. For RAM configuration, I suggest you 2x8GB that because its easier to set high clock compare to 4x4gb and you'll have 2 empty slots for future upgrade. I choose SSD as primary storage and WD Black as secondary storage because during system process, you’ll be constantly saving and rendering directly from the HDD. The SSD drive is fast to load the system and WD Black is a high performance drive that would give you best output.

For Matlab processing, there is no need for good GPU but for processing you need a good CPU and high RAM. For better performance and for life of your system, you just add a liquid cooling system on it.

Hope it helps.

- I would like to go for the hexa core(Core™ i7-4960X Processor Extreme Edition?) ( or the octa core if those are commercially available) :)

- Would need 32Gb of RAM. 8x4 ? 16x2 ?

- The rest of the config u suggested looks good. :)

- and the video card u suggested is a decently good one ? Coz i knw that in matlab i can code to make use of the gpu as well. But as u said, A good CPU + enough RAM and an SSD shud do the trick.:blush:

for parallel processing and matlab stuff, you will need opencl supported system. I think amd 8 core cpus will perform better in this case. intel are tuned for better games.

on the other hand intel are best at low power consumption.

The CPU you are planning to buy costs 1000 USD or around 65-70k once it lands in india. Sorry to be blunt. A decent board which does justice to it would be another 30k. That leaves you with no money left for anything else. You need at least a 300k budget to be able to get a good PC based on 4960x.

The CPU you are planning to buy costs 1000 USD or around 65-70k once it lands in india. Sorry to be blunt. A decent board which does justice to it would be another 30k. That leaves you with no money left for anything else. You need at least a 300k budget to be able to get a good PC based on 4960x.

Haha... To be frank, I never checked the price. Thanks for pointing that out. :)

S0 any suggestions ? Which is the next best hexacore that might fit my budget ? Intel i7-4930K ? Anything better ?

Hi All

First of all, a big thanks for the replies. Please take a look at the below config, and maybe we can trim down a little to reach the goal. :)

Intel® Core™ i7-4930K 40.0 K

ASUS Rampage IV Extreme 35.0 K (Can someone suggest something cheaper that goes with the 4930K ?) OR
ASRock X79 Extreme6
20.5 K (???)

Corsair Vengeance 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 24.0 K
ZOTAC NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 2GB Graphics 18.0 K (Would this do any good for matlab ? Can this be avoided or use something lower ?)
Samsung S840 Pro 128GB 10.0 K
WD Cavier Black 1TB 6.0 K
Seasonic s12 ii 520 Power Supply 4.7 K
Corsair 300r Cabinet 5.5 K
CM Hyper 212 EVO 3.0 K (Is this needed ?)

This goes above the 100K budget as of now. Lets say that is OK for now. Can we trim this down a little ? :)

If we can go with the ASRock mobo and skip the graphics card, I think we have a winner.
icon_smile.gif

The 5820k is the cheapest i7 hex core. 27k on primeabgb.
X99 board prices should be similar. DDR4 though is pricy at 36k. But the combo should still cost the same as the 4930k setup above.

There are some cheaper 6 core Xeons too. You can use them on dual socket boards to add a second Xeon later. Xeons can use RDIMMs which enable you to add higher capacity RAM. Consumer X79/X99 boards are limited to 32GB of RAM. @linuxtechie got a setup like that : https://www.techenclave.com/communi...el-i7-4930k-corsair-gskill-8x8gb-ddr3.164316/

* Would having a good graphics card help in Matlab processing ?
Apparently CUDA can be harnessed by Matlab, but you would need to talk to someone in your lab who uses Matlab to check if they are interested in doing that.

The CUDA is nVidia proprietary. the OpenCL is open format and is supported by AMD. And all the bitcoin mining setups use opencl so you can look up for that.

Frankly after looking at the cost of CPU, I would buy many paralella boards (around 20-30) and one AMD APU based pc in the same budget. 100 duck sized horses compared to 1 horse sized duck lol
or 2-3 AMD APU quadcore based pcs and create a server farm.

Paralella farm would be cost effective price wise and energy consumption and cooling wise.

The 8 core single board pcs from Allwinner is also a good option.

Frankly I dont see any point spending 40K on 6 cores... :meh:

Thanks for the suggestions guys. But here is the deal, I don't have anymore time for research. I need to place the order today. :(

So, please please please, a few last questions, and I have to take a decision based your replies. :)

1) 4930K + Asus Rampage ?
2) 4930K + ASRock mobo ?
3) As Crazy_Eddy suggested : 5820K + DDR4 RAM (I hope it is 32Gb that comes to 36K ;) ). If this is the choice, please do suggest an appropriate mother board as well.
4) I think I would get the GTX 760 anyhow. So that I can have the option of usin the CUDA cores in future ?
5) Should I get the cooler master ? Stock cooling wont suffice ?

@booo
I feel your pain. And the configs you mentioned does sound interesting. But right now I am just short on time. :(

So guys, last few questions from my end. Please advice, and based on your reply I have to place the order in the next few hours. :)

How about this :

Intel® Core™ i7-5930K 40.0 K
Asus Rampage V Extreme X99 36.0 K
Gskill Ripjaws 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 37.0 K (Are these good ? Or should I go for Corsair/Kingston DDR4s ?)
ZOTAC NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 2GB Graphics 18.0 K

Total : 157K

Think I will go with stock cooling for now and get an after market cooler if I plan on some overclocking ? Will that be fine ?

Again... In a hurry... have to place the order soon.... Please advice. :)

How about this :

Intel® Core™ i7-5930K 40.0 K
Asus Rampage V Extreme X99 36.0 K
Gskill Ripjaws 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 37.0 K (Are these good ? Or should I go for Corsair/Kingston DDR4s ?)
ZOTAC NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 2GB Graphics 18.0 K

Total : 157K

Think I will go with stock cooling for now and get an after market cooler if I plan on some overclocking ? Will that be fine ?

Again... In a hurry... have to place the order soon.... Please advice. :)

Good config up there but why cannot you go with Intel Xeon E3 1245 v3 & Gigabyte H87-D3H & Corsair Vengeance 32GB (4x8GB) 1600Mhz DDR3 instead of the above config.It will drive down the cost.

Back