Storage Solutions Need help in buying a new hdd and dvd optical drive

Dishant996

Disciple
Hey guys.. I'm planning to buy a new hdd and optical dvd drive for my pc.. It is having a 450w psu and a sata 3gb/s mobo with a ddr2 ram format.. I had a seagate barracuda 250GB hdd and samsung dvd drive, they died a couple of months ago, after 5 years.. I'm confused b/w these hdds-

WD Blue 1TB HDD-
http://www.flipkart.com/wd-blue-wd1...RTQ&icmpid=reco_pp_same_internal_hard_drive_5

WD black 1tb hdd-

http://www.flipkart.com/wd-1-tb-bla...4YB&icmpid=reco_pp_same_internal_hard_drive_4

or should i go back to seagate ?

And this dvd optical drive fits in my budget-

http://www.flipkart.com/asus-drw-24...drive/p/itmd2ryzr5hsrdxr?pid=IODD2RYZ3FGY56HZ

please guys... Tell me which one would be better?
Thanks!

dont go for seagate. and WD black is said to be better than the blue variant.

optical-drive is good. check for any other model from asus locally if this particular one has been discontinued.

Should i buy them online? As seen in wd black reviews .. Several people had to claim replacement for it...! I'm still confused..! Will go for the optical drive..!

Should i buy them online? As seen in wd black reviews .. Several people had to claim replacement for it...! I'm still confused..! Will go for the optical drive..!
Can't say about other sites but refrain buying HDDs from Flipkart.. several users are complaining for their careless packaging of such fragile items and hence DOA. Some users from TE itself got their HDD in bad packaging. I'd say check your local market first... i'm sure you'll find similar or better pricing than flipkart.
If budget is not a concern then go for WD Black as they come with 5yr warranty vs 2yr warranty on WD Blue. They both are good performer though Black belongs to Tier-1.
(I recently bought myself WD Blue 1TB for 4k.)

meaning belonging to top of the class. you can buy from snapdeal, albeit be sure to choose COD only as payment-option. local HDD prices are a bit higher than online ones, still, first check at the local stores, and compare the prices with the online ones before purchasing.

meaning belonging to top of the class. you can buy from snapdeal, albeit be sure to choose COD only as payment-option. local HDD prices are a bit higher than online ones, still, first check at the local stores, and compare the prices with the online ones before purchasing.
I found HDDs price to be way cheaper than almost every online store in Nehru Place. So, if OP stays in Delhi then maybe he can buy from there.

I found HDDs price to be way cheaper than almost every online store in Nehru Place. So, if OP stays in Delhi then maybe he can buy from there.

alright. i live at Mumbai, and prices at Lamington road here are either slightly higher, or, at best, at par with the online prices.

then order from FK and pray it safely reaches to you or else you can always claim for WDs great warranty service which does not take more than 7 days usually.

don't buy liteon drive. I bought same model ihas124d or whatever. it has just 1mb buffer. drive does not read any disc except stamped discs like you get from companies. seems like some filter is present in it that won't let you read self burned discs. 1000 rupees waste. useless thing won't burn discs also. tried contacting support through email few months back for rma and no one answered till now. :mad:

don't buy liteon drive. I bought same model ihas124d or whatever. it has just 1mb buffer. drive does not read any disc except stamped discs like you get from companies. seems like some filter is present in it that won't let you read self burned discs. 1000 rupees waste. useless thing won't burn discs also. tried contacting support through email few months back for rma and no one answered till now. :mad:

sorry to read that!! new for me. seems lite-on focused most of their efforts towards the higher models, upwards of 124, particularly, 324, 524, and specifically, the B revisions. ;)

@Dishant996 - Am sure that you can get one of the Asus models in some other good PC-shop at Bhopal (if you want, i can let you know), alongwith the HDD. otherwise, you can purchase it online on any other portal, for eg, from golchhait, mdcomputers, etc. these are few of the many; or if buying used is not an issue, then check the sale-threads or place a WTB request-thread for the same (you can also get to purchase sparingly used drives).

Last edited:
Back