Need Help is Selecting WIFI Router

Hi All,

So I am here again looking for help from all experts for a decent WIFI router. Following would be my criteria which I guess is quite elaborate :) Please be informed that I am a noob in this and would not be able to elaborate things any better

To be used for Home networking t0 connect my PC/xTreamer/& Other Gadgets :)
Preferably 'N' standard router (Just to ensure that I have the latest, If you have a great G router which is better than N basic ones, Please suggest)
Looking to use the same as torrent downloader on a longer run (Read 1 month)
I have too many walls in my place hence signal strength has been to be decent.
I am not very particular about a brand just make sure that the model is available without much of trouble
Budget would be max 5k strechable to 6k best case...Lemme know if you have a should buy choice. I am ok if my budget goes little more for that :)

I guess thats a long list for you all to understand...Hoping for some great suggestions :) Thanks a lot for your visit and suggestions :)

If you're looking for something that will also give you torrent download capabilities, I can only think of two models. There's the Linksys WRT610N which I'm using. This is a simultaneous dual band wireless N router. I've flashed it with DD-WRT and have connected a 1TB WD MyBook to it and download torrents directly on to the external HDD. Haven't had a problem with range or connectivity ever. Got a wired desktop, a couple of laptops, an iPhone and an N95 connected to it without any problems. This router is a bit expensive out here though. Around 8.5k. You could check with KMD and see if he can get it for you for less from the US.

The second option is the Asus WL520GU. That's a wireless G router which also has a USB port and supports DD-WRT. Although I've never worked with this router, there are other people here that have and will be able to shed more light on it's features. This one comes in for under 2k.

Sir same situation is with me , but i want wifi router for this

For downloading , web surfing and sharing office, music and other small size file .

You recommend asus , one i think it's suit me , sir kidly light any other router in 1.5 to 2K range so that we buy worth of our money , sir N series is currently useless for me

The router u recommend(asus) is cost about 1.55K. in Chandigarh , It;s worth or not please tell

Edrill said:
If you're looking for something that will also give you torrent download capabilities, I can only think of two models. There's the Linksys WRT610N which I'm using. This is a simultaneous dual band wireless N router. I've flashed it with DD-WRT and have connected a 1TB WD MyBook to it and download torrents directly on to the external HDD. Haven't had a problem with range or connectivity ever. Got a wired desktop, a couple of laptops, an iPhone and an N95 connected to it without any problems. This router is a bit expensive out here though. Around 8.5k. You could check with KMD and see if he can get it for you for less from the US.

The second option is the Asus WL520GU. That's a wireless G router which also has a USB port and supports DD-WRT. Although I've never worked with this router, there are other people here that have and will be able to shed more light on it's features. This one comes in for under 2k.

Edrill,

Thanks for the suggestion. Just a clarification is it WRT610N or WRT160N? I understand the model mentioned WRT610N is also available in the market. Just wanted to confirm....610N is available for ~9500 online...Will wait for some more inputs :)

Hi,

Any thoughts on WRT160NL? Even this has a storage link to its specifications...

It's the WRT610N. The WRT160N doesn't have a USB port. The WRT160NL does have a USB port, but I can't comment on it, never having used it and don't know if DD-WRT works on it. If DD-WRT does works on it, I can only assume that getting the Transmission torrent client running on it should be the same as how it was with my WRT610N.

Yeah, the WRT610N is pretty pricey. But it's like an all-in-one solution! Be warned though, the speeds aren't the greatest. On an average, I get maybe 4 to 5MBps transferring to the USB drive from a wired gigabit connection. Like I mentioned earlier, PM KMD and see how much he's quoting for it.

@jdjain: The Asus WL520GU is your best bet.

Back