Budget 31-40k Need help selecting a CPU, Motherboard, RAM, SSD and PSU.

ch@ts

Skilled
Questions
  1. What is your budget?
    • 30K - can extend if it makes sense. + ~5k for M2 SSD + ~5-9k for a PSU
  2. What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
    • CPU - AMD FX8350
    • Motherboard - Gigabyte 970a DS3P
    • GPU - Nvidia 1030
    • RAM - 8GB Corsair XMS DDR3 + 8GB Hynix RAM(low voltage) - The RAM's do not work well together, probably because they run on different voltages
    • Monitor - Lenovo 2k + Dell 1680*1050
    • PSU - Corsair VX450
    • 3 SSD's - 2*500GB, 1*180GB
    • 1 DVD-RW
    • 1 500GB HDD
  3. Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
    • Monitors
    • GPU - for now. May upgrade to something low in power like a 4060 later. Will keep the old system, as it's working fine.
    • I have a low profile
  4. Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
    • CPU - Intel Core I5 12400F / Ryzen 5600G/5700G/8600G
    • Motherboard - any budget motherboard - preferably under Rs.6000 and Micro ATX - Most motherboards seem to come with only 4 SATA slots, but that's all I'll need as I'll keep 1 SSD in the older system, but more would be preferable.
    • 32GB or 64GB RAM - will probably not upgrade later.
    • 500GB to 1TB M2 SSD thats compatible with the system.
    • PSU - want something that's quiet, and will last 10 years like my current Corsair. ATX 3 compliant, and able to handle my current system plus a GPU like the 4070. Corsair RM750e is for 9k, but would prefer to spend much less.
  5. Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
    • May upgrade the GPU to a 4060 if I decide to run local LLM's or if I enjoy making games in Unreal Engine.
  6. Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
    • Pune
    • Open to online purchase
  7. What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
    • Occasional Gaming
    • Browsing
    • Coding - occasional
    • Making a movie - one of my life goals, not sure if I'll ever get round to it.
    • Making a game in Unreal Engine - one of my life goals, not sure if I'll ever get round to it.
    • Playing with local LLM's - will probably experiment for a couple of weeks, and then forget about it.
    • Compiling Android for my older devices - will only do this a few times
  8. Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
    • No.
  9. If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
    • Strategy - Civilization 5
    • RPG's - Borderlands, Witcher, NeverWinter Nights, Jade Empire
    • FPS's - so far been playing older ones, like Half Life, Doom3, No One Lives Forever 1 & 2, will play more modern ones if/when I get a more powerful GPU, or if the APU is good enough.
  10. What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
    1. Gaming - 2560x1440
    2. Desktop - 2560x1440 + 1680x1050
  11. Are you looking to overclock?
    • No
  12. Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
    • Linux - Debian

I want to keep this system for at least 5 years. My current Motherboard is at least 8 years old, CPU is 5+, PSU is 8+. I think it's fast enough for my use, but I need more RAM (since I can only use 8GB at a time because my RAM sticks aren't compatible with each other), and it doesn't make sense to buy more RAM for such an old system.
My current motherboard is a Gigabyte Ultradurable M/b, and has given me no problems. My previous MSI and Asus motherboards were more temperamental, but they all lasted well beyond their warranty period.

I'm looking at value for money, which is why I'm okay with going for a DDR4 system, but if the price difference between that and a DDR5 one isn't much, then I'd prefer a DDR5 one.
If prices are expected to come down in a few months, I'm okay with waiting. I think 32 GB RAM should be enough for me, but if I get a good deal on a 64GB kit, I'll go for that.

I want stability above all, and compatibility with Debian stable. I also want a quiet, low power system. I have a slim case that I want to use, which doesn't have space for a tower cooler. I have another case that can only accomodate a tower cooler with a 92mm fan. But I think the stock cooler would do a better job of cooling the motherboard VRMs than a tower cooler, so I'd like to stick to that.

I don't think the
Intel Core I5 12400F has the issues the newer Intels seem to have, and I think it's faster than the Ryzens on my list. But the Ryzen APUs are all more powerful than the 1030gt that I have. And, all the CPU's are at least twice as fast as what I currently have, so they're all good enough for me.
Please help me choose a system that has no compatibility issues, is value for money, and will last long.

Also 1 monitor has only HDMi ports and the other needs a Dvi or VGA port. My current 1030GT supports both, so I can keep that if necessary, but if the motherboard has both those ports onboard that would be preferable.

So, currently I'm leaning towards the following config.

GIGABYTE AMD B450M DS3H V2 Ultra Durable ATX Motherboard Socket AM4 DDR4 @ 6082

AMD Ryzen 5 5500GT @10,340 - the performance is almost the same as the 5600g and 5600GT, and it costs almost 2k less.

Kingston Fury Beast 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 CL16 x2 @3199 each

Which works out to ~ Rs.22822, minus any card discounts. That's about 30% (Rs.13000) less than the 8600G AM5 system, but with probably only a 15% CPU performance loss (correct me if I'm wrong).

I'm not sure how good the motherboard is, and if Gigabyte has good customer service and still makes good boards.
An alternative is the MSI B450M PRO-VDH MAX @ 6200 - but since it'll come from a different dealer, I won't be able to test the components for any DoA's till I get it.
Which is a safer buy? Are they any good?

Also, the RAM sticks aren't a matched pair - will that cause a problem?

And do B450 boards support NVME drives with the processor I've chosen? I think they do, but I'm not sure.

Also - will PrimeABGB or any other online shop price match / offer additional discounts if I call them? And are they better with DoA's than Amazon? I'll be paying about 2k (almost a 512GB M2 drives worth) more on PrimeABGB because of the current discounts on Amazon.

There's also a B550 board for about 8k. MSI PRO B550M-P GEN3 AMD B550. Will I gain anything buy buying that instead of a B450 board?

Also - will B450 boards support the Ryzen 5500/5600 out of the box? They will with a BIOs update, but I don't have an older processor to use for the update.

Last edited:
Last edited:
And do B450 boards support NVME drives with the processor I've chosen? I think they do, but I'm not sure.
This board would support NVME - PCI-E 3 x4.

Yes, I would pick RAM from Corsair/Crucial/G.Skill

WD Black SN770 NVMe 1TB @ 6439 - is it any good?
Yes, it's one of VFM drives.

PSU's- both are around Rs.6000.
DeepCool PL750D - bronze, atx 3.0
DeepCool PM750D -gold, atx 2.4
Not sure how good or bad are these, but being old school, I again prefer likes of Corsair, Cooler Master - can refer https://cultists.network/140/psu-tier-list/

Not sure how good or bad are these, but being old school, I again prefer likes of Corsair, Cooler Master - can refer https://cultists.network/140/psu-tier-list/
Thanks for the reply.
I've been through the list, and the only PSU on it that I can find worth buying is the Corsair RM750e. Everything else is either not available in India, or not rated well, or just too close in price to the Corsair to make any sense. Could you suggest something on there that costs about 6k?

Thanks for the reply.
I've been through the list, and the only PSU on it that I can find worth buying is the Corsair RM750e. Everything else is either not available in India, or not rated well, or just too close in price to the Corsair to make any sense. Could you suggest something on there that costs about 6k?
WIll recommend,
This bronze
or this Gold

After card discount would be under 6K

I've been through the list, and the only PSU on it that I can find worth buying is the Corsair RM750e. Everything else is either not available in India, or not rated well, or just too close in price to the Corsair to make any sense.
You don't need tier-S or tier-A rated psu there for a typical system. For your usage even a recommended tier-C psu there would suffice though I suggest to get at least tier-B rated psu there.

Thanks. I didn't see the ATX 3 one. Good find. However, neither of them have any reviews. The only reviews online are for the V3 Gold ATX 3 version.

It's part number MPE-6501-ACABW-BIN - which is tier C - low priority. Is that okay? I'll consider the 750w version instead, to give myself some head room.

PSU - want something that's quiet, and will last 10 years like my current Corsair. ATX 3 compliant, and able to handle my current system plus a GPU like the 4070. Corsair RM750e is for 9k, but would prefer to spend much less.
You can get a MSI mag 750w Gold for 7.5k ish INR. Its pretty good and since its ATX 3 compliant so it will also handle any power spikes that might occur (although RTX 4070 is very efficient).
link. buy from any shop or get from amazon if you prefer that.
The same but in bronze will cost you 5.7k INR.
If you are not planning to run 4070 or higher tier card then get a lower watt PSU. A 750w PSU in a sub 150w PC will look stupid lol. For example 4060 consumed 120w max. You can use a 500w PSU for it and it will run fine.

If you are not planning to run 4070 or higher tier card then get a lower watt PSU. A 750w PSU in a sub 150w PC will look stupid lol. For example 4060 consumed 120w max. You can use a 500w PSU for it and it will run fine.
Thanks. That is some good advice.
You don't need tier-S or tier-A rated psu there for a typical system. For your usage even a recommended tier-C psu there would suffice though I suggest to get at least tier-B rated psu there.

Yeah. I guess. I don't know why I was obsessed with getting an 750w plus A rated PSU.

Maybe I should forget about the ATX 3 specification too, since it's new, and there are hardly any ratings of those PSU's.

I've updated my Amazon cart to the following
Corsair CX750, CX650, Cooler Master MWE 650 and 750 V3 Bronze ATX 3.1, and the Cooler Master MWE 650 Bronze V2.

It's part number MPE-6501-ACABW-BIN
Din't notice this. I saw ACAAW in pictures and suggested! 750w in same listing has part number AFAAG and seems to be okay. Though you can get away with quality 450W PSU as well. I used to have Corsair SF450 for Ryzen 3300X, MSI B450i, Crucial RAM, WD SN550 and RTX 2060.

Thanks. I didn't see the ATX 3 one. Good find. However, neither of them have any reviews. The only reviews online are for the V3 Gold ATX 3 version.

It's part number MPE-6501-ACABW-BIN - which is tier C - low priority. Is that okay? I'll consider the 750w version instead, to give myself some head room.
This is ATX 3.1 https://www.amazon.in/Cooler-Master-Bronze-Power-Supply/dp/B0DBV7XXQM
Screen Shot 2024-09-23 at 11.17.17 AM.png

Frankly i find this Bronze rating thing overrated, have been using a frontech PSU for over a decade in my Athlon Phenom x2 based system and it runs great,
Also have a CX400 running great from over 12 years. I currently have multiple pcs at home.

So its your call to take, buy whatever comes in your budget MWE Bronze is anyday better that the Corsair CX curently coming due to dc to dc cicuit.
Though i am using both CX 550 bought couple of months ago its price has gone down further now, so its not a bad deal - Using it with12400F,MSI bomber, 32 GB DDR 5 and 5600XT with Gamidas cabinet

Last edited:
I want stability above all, and compatibility ...
Please help me choose a system that has no compatibility issues, is value for money, and will last long.
+1 for Intel - i5-12400
Also - will PrimeABGB or any other online shop price match / offer additional discounts if I call them?
I called them and over phone call they quote higher than what actually on their online/website also add hefty shipping charges too !!!,
While on their website have low price & shipping free for same product + 2% discount via Upi
Why don't you opt for used CPU, MB & RAM? You'll get better configs for the same price.
just for 20-30% discount why buy out of warranty product and lose 2-3-10 yrs warranty and peace of mind.
Prefer crucial/gskill ram over adata ram & definitely wd sn 580/770 over adata ssd.
on reddit some sure suggest that Gskill has better tolerance/compatibility rate when combine with any other brand RAM stick.

Last edited:
My wife is laughing at me. She's very amused that a comfortably off, middle aged dude approaching 50, is so obsessed with saving a few bucks on his PC.

So, I told her about my teenage days, when my friends and I would save for months, while visiting Lamington Road every weekend, spending hours going from shop to shop getting quotes for various computer parts. And how we'd persist even though the shopkeepers were rude, and tired of seeing our faces. And eventually when we bought something, how special that purchase was to us.

That's when she got it. She goes shopping in malls and big name stores, and doesn't think twice about spending thousands on a single dress, but when she goes street shopping she turns into my teenage self, hunting for the best bargains, and clubbing purchases with friends to get bigger discounts.

I know I'm not saving much by hunting for the best deals, and spending days coming up with what I think is the best bang for buck configuration in the entire world, but over the past few days I was as obsessed and crazy as I was 30 plus years ago, and that felt great.

Anyway, thanks for all your help guys.

Now, about the PC -
For the PSU - I think I'll buy the CX650, as it's tried and tested, instead of going for something new that may turn out to have issues down the like, like the infamous exploding Gigabyte PSU's.
For the RAM - I'm leaning towards the Adata that I mentioned earlier, as it's on the qualified vendor list, and the G.Skill isn't. It's also much cheaper on Amazon, and that'll allow me to buy everything from 1 vendor.
For the SSD - I'm warming up to the idea of getting the WD Black. (Data is the most important thing on the computer.) But I'm still drawn towards the Adata. It's cheaper and has good reviews, but mainly because it'll let me keep the total cost below Rs.30,000 (with card discounts - I've made my wife revive her SBI account and am going to make use of her sisters debit card as well :blackeye:) - and make me feel like I've achieved something great. o_O

+1 for Intel - i5-12400

I called them and over phone call they quote higher than what actually on their online/website also add hefty shipping charges too !!!,
While on their website have low price & shipping free for same product + 2% discount via Upi

just for 20-30% discount why buy out of warranty product and lose 2-3-10 yrs warranty and peace of mind.

on reddit some sure suggest that Gskill has better tolerance/compatibility rate when combine with any other brand RAM stick.
Thanks for your inputs. :)
I agree with everything you said.

The Intel is the better processor, but getting that would entail paying more for the motherboard, and then buying a new GPU now. That would change the economics, and then with the new budget, I could get a better performing, more upgradeable, AM5 platform. But, I don't want to head down the rabbit hole of increasing the budget just a little bit for something that performs a lot better, but makes no real-life difference to me -- because I've taken that road far too many times before.

How's the service from PrimeABGB? What happens if you get something thats a dud?
Would I be safer ordering from there rather than Amazon?

Last edited:
For the RAM - I'm leaning towards the Adata that I mentioned earlier, as it's on the qualified vendor list, and the G.Skill isn't. It's also much cheaper on Amazon, and that'll allow me to buy everything from 1 vendor.
For the SSD - I'm warming up to the idea of getting the WD Black. (Data is the most important thing on the computer.) But I'm still drawn towards the Adata. It's cheaper and has good reviews, but mainly because it'll let me keep the total cost below Rs.30,000 (with card discounts - I've made my wife revive her SBI account and am going to make use of her sisters debit card as well :blackeye:) - and make me feel like I've achieved something great.
A nudge - do keep in mind after sales service aspect as well.

Back