Need help setting a PPPoE & File sharing server [Linux/Windows]

Rave

ex-Mod
Hey
I need to set up a PPPoE server for sharing my internet connection, here are the requirements that i need to fulfill

I currently have a single DSL line from TATA with which I use two DSL accounts,
one is normal 384Kbps and other is the 2mbps night unlimited account
during the day, i use my day account CN1 and at night i disconnect this and use CN2.

I have to make this change manually every day at 9AM and 9PM respectively or else i get billed for daytime usage of the same.

now as you can imagine its quite difficult to do the same each day :p

so what my requirement is that i set up internet sharing with scheduling so that it does the same automatically at the designated time

the server will be run on Intel Atom with 1GB of RAM and 320GB hdd space.

It has 2 LAN ports, one is connected to the DSL modem and the other to a wifi router that is bridged with another wifi router to extend range as well as provide internet connection to another PC which is connected to the other wifi router via cable

a SIP phone is also connected from the main wifi router via cat5 cable and my main pc connects to the main router as well

what i want the router pc to do is

Provide internet connection to the network
switch between the DSL accounts as per schedule
serve as a download pc
serve as a network storage
serve as an FTP server
serve as a media server
serve as proxy server
and all the rest of the stuff that you expect and ideally do the same with DHCP so that i dont have to give manual IPs to all the devices connected and will be connected in the future

I tried doing the same while installing windows 7, but its just too painful and not versatile enough for my use

also my PC runs windows xp as well as windows 7, while the other system runs windows 7, so all the files should be inter accessible, so file system format needs to offer the same

I have ZERO experience with Linux so if you are suggesting linux, then please do pass me to some wiki so that i can get some basic idea, ive already downloaded ubuntu 9.10server although dunno how to install it hence didnt :p

so help me out, open for windows/osx/linux options for the same

Here are the commands you need to schedule to connect/disconnect CN1 and CN2 in task scheduler

rasdial CN1 "username" "password"
rasdial CN1 /DISCONNECT

rasdial CN2 "username" "password"
rasdial CN2 /DISCONNECT

You need to assign a fixed IP to LAN card which is connected to DSL and then create a bridge connection between two ethernet cards on your main PC

For FTP access, you can install any 3rd party free FTP server or install FTP addon by MS itself. For other usages like proxy, media server etc ... let other members suggest

For DHCP, enable DHCP server in your main router that's all

Well any linux based distro is suited for this purpose but you may find it hard to fiddle with command line as you have no prior experience with linux based oses.

Hence, I would recommend to use: FreeNAS: The Free NAS Server - Home. it comes with a web based GUI, just like your routers configuration interface.it would easy to use even for you. if you don't trust me then see this screenshots gallery --> http://www.freenas.org/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=78

It has everything you need, so stop thinking and start doing:p

Let me know if you need any help in setting it up, I would glad to help out

Actually as of now am installing ubuntu, problem with windows is that ive tried bridging connection but the DHCP would not work so id have to configure the network settings of each device separately, also only one connection can be enabled for internet connection sharing, so if i set up CN1 for ICS then it work, but once CN2 gets enabled, the client pcs can no longer access the internet

maybe its about time i start and learn something about linux although if someone has any windows info then do let me know,

@ Gaurish

setting up NAS is later, first i need to get the internet and internet server set otherwise not much point hehe

Rave said:
Actually as of now am installing ubuntu, problem with windows is that ive tried bridging connection but the DHCP would not work so id have to configure the network settings of each device separately, also only one connection can be enabled for internet connection sharing, so if i set up CN1 for ICS then it work, but once CN2 gets enabled, the client pcs can no longer access the internet

maybe its about time i start and learn something about linux although if someone has any windows info then do let me know,

Good Idea!

Multiple LAN interfaces can be configured easily in Linux(eth0,eth1...so on). to setup pppoe in ubuntu, use pppoeconf. automatic switchover is possible by cron.

squid can be used for proxying your Internet connection to other hosts in the network.

@ Gaurish

setting up NAS is later, first i need to get the internet and internet server set otherwise not much point hehe

you forgot, FreeNAS is Linux based. so its very flexible. it can do everything you mentioned in your requirements.But off-course, A full fledged distro like Ubuntu would be much customizable and flexible.:eek:hyeah:

OK, Ubuntu installed, now can someone guide me on setting up multiple pppoe connections and creating a batch file of the switching? oh and also the server part please?

everything needs to be done via command line only or theres a GUI option available for the same?

Hi,

for multiple connections, use two files

Code:
pon CN1

^^Turn on CN1

Code:
pon CN2

^^Turns On CN!

Code:
poff

^^to turn off the active connection.

Setting up your ADSL connection in PPPoE mode:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ADSLPPPoE

-------------------------------

for scheduling use cron - its linux's inbuilt scheduler. just enter the command you want to execute and when, rest will be done automatically.

more info here:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CronHowto

---------------------------------

Lastly you can find the Server docs here:

https://help.ubuntu.com/9.10/serverguide/C/index.html

Rave said:
a SIP phone is also connected from the main wifi router via cat5 cable and my main pc connects to the main router as well

I see that you are getting help with your requirement from Gaurish and hence won't meddle in. Having said that, I am bit curious about the sip phone hardware that you have. Can you please shed more light on it or possible a link?

TIA.

+LT

Actually, i do need a bit of help creating the different configurations of pppoe files

am reinstalling ubunu 9.10 desktop as i type this time with proper partitions, so please do feel free to pour in ur suggestions

as for the SIP phone, am using Grandstream budgetone 200

Grandstream - Innovative IP Telephony

wah this is driving me nuts, whenever i enter the ip address to the nic from network settings, the nic disappears from the list, where do i access it from afterward?

Rave said:
wah this is driving me nuts, whenever i enter the ip address to the nic from network settings, the nic disappears from the list, where do i access it from afterward?

Open Terminal and post the output of "ifconfig". also make sure that your card is being recognized.check "dmesg"

btw, which network card you have? if you don't know then use "lspci" to find it.

This might also help, as its in Indian Context:

Broadband Howto - Ubuntu India

Back