Need help to setup a no frills x86 compact server

mk76

Adept
Looking for some advice. What is the cheapest, low power compact ( quad core or more ) server I can set up to run 24 x 7 ?

OS would be linux - run headless. I intend to run containers plus setup a NAS ( SSD only + no raid ).
  • Raspberry Pi 4 is not an option as some of the containers do not have ARM images.
  • i5/i7 NUC is one option, but its' tad high on budget. i3 Nuc has only 2 cores.
  • Asrock Deskmini x300 or H470 also looks good
  • ?? What other options are there.

Open for both new/used parts/setup

instead of this get a a athlon 3000 the ryzen based one 2c/4t a second hand matx board or itx board and a compact case the cheap kind from zebronics
2C/4T would be the last option. Have 10 gen i3 with a friend.

I was inclined towards H470 Deskmini. But then came across this fantastic review. Has major flaws. Top one is VRMs heat sink .. allowing them to touch 100+ with full load.

2C/4T would be the last option. Have 10 gen i3 with a friend.

I was inclined towards H470 Deskmini. But then came across this fantastic review. Has major flaws. Top one is VRMs heat sink .. allowing them to touch 100+ with full load.
10th gen i3 4c/8t parts are great for a server, power consumption on full load something like esxi with lot of vms would be double than the nuc though or am4 parts.

Back