Budget 0-20k Need help with a (used?) budget low-power-usage build for a NAS.

ykumar00

Recruit
Hello. People on FB marketplace listing their used-for-8-years, i3 2rd Gen PC for 6k INR, and 10+ year used laptops with broken screens and broken keys for 4k+. Literal EWaste is being listed. So I come to you for help.

I am planning to use no more than 2 HDDs with no Raid and a nightly incremental backup. (Not running any important services so some random downtime is ok) I would also prefer a USB 3 port for data import.

I plan on running the following services:
Immich (approx 250 GB of photos)
Plex + Sonarr + Radarr (NO Transcoding, all my files direct play with external SRT Subs)
Network storage with SMB.
A couple other small docker containers.
I can use either Ubuntu Server or CasaOS or Unraid, or XPenology.

I'm currently running a RPi with a external USB HDD, But I want to expand to a server with SATA HDDs.

I was hoping to grad a used Optiplex i5 (4th/5th gen) machine with 8GB RAM for around 7-8k (without HDDs), but I can't see them listed anywhere within 10-12k.
Is that an unreasonable price?
How is the power usage on these things? Are they suitable to run 24/7? Or would you guys suggest a mini PC? (Can't seem to find any of these with SATA ports, even external)

Thank you in advance for your help!

Hello. People on FB marketplace listing their used-for-8-years, i3 2rd Gen PC for 6k INR, and 10+ year used laptops with broken screens and broken keys for 4k+. Literal EWaste is being listed. So I come to you for help.

I am planning to use no more than 2 HDDs with no Raid and a nightly incremental backup. (Not running any important services so some random downtime is ok) I would also prefer a USB 3 port for data import.

I plan on running the following services:

I can use either Ubuntu Server or CasaOS or Unraid, or XPenology.

I'm currently running a RPi with a external USB HDD, But I want to expand to a server with SATA HDDs.

I was hoping to grad a used Optiplex i5 (4th/5th gen) machine with 8GB RAM for around 7-8k (without HDDs), but I can't see them listed anywhere within 10-12k.
Is that an unreasonable price?
How is the power usage on these things? Are they suitable to run 24/7? Or would you guys suggest a mini PC? (Can't seem to find any of these with SATA ports, even external)

Thank you in advance for your help!
I think now a days you get one for around 10k!

I think now a days you get one for around 10k!

That looked appealing, but $119 is the price without RAM or power supply or HDD cables. To use it as a server the kit costs $160, plus $30 shipping, PLUS customs, and indian customs are notorious for charging 100% or MORE for customs lmao, not to mention the OLD CPU.

Back