Need Help with home network layout

Hi everyone

Recently I build a few systems for my home like a home PC, Media Player and I have some future plans for the networking in my house in which I want to include a Media server. I have attached an image for reference of what I really want.

I was thinking of connecting an 8 port gigabit switch (for sharing between systems) to my router (100mbps max). That means I'll be using 5 ports in the gigabit switch for sharing between systems and 1 port for internet. I am concerned that the 1 port for internet connection might get saturated.

Will it be fine to set up this way? Please let me know how can I improve.

Note: I want this set up to be budget friendly as I don't want anything overkill.

My internet connection is 25Mbps

Gigabit speed for file sharing and media works for me.

Do check the image attached.

Thank You

Attachments

• Network Map.png
    Network Map.png
    25.4 KB · Views: 216
No, you will never be able to saturate the link between the gigabit switch and the router except for two scenarios - I am assuming the green is wireless and red is wired.

The 2 scenarios are that A. you are trying to stream/copy stuff on wifi, which will saturate the 100Mb link between the router and the gigabit switch - remember, both sides will default to max supported, which is 100M, not 1000M.

Apart from that assuming your ISP does allow torrent caching, and you set up a download and your ISP gives you full speeds upto 100/1000Mb, then the router WAN will get choked plus the link we are talking about will too. Has happened to me, but its rare. My current ISP only allows now around 25Mb torrent speeds usually, its a rare case when I get 100Mb speeds.

However, I am planning to shift to WNet, because my current ISP (Rajesh Hathway) is not offering me a static IP, and plans offered by WNet are pretty good as well.

Back