Need information about Custom

d3vils33k3r

Recruit
I am thinking to IMPORT a mobile , i.e One Plus 3T from usa due to a cheap deal.. and the courier is either Singapore Post or Aramex..

I asked the seller to de-value the item to $50 around and mark the item as gift.

1. So will the item be charged as custom by Aramex / Singapore Post or it wont..
2. And if charged how much and lastly
3. what is the import charges for mobile phones in India from USA / Singapore.

Please help me with the info asap.

Not an expert here, but customs officials can charge full duty and also impose fine if not also take some sort of penal action against you if you try to pull a stunt like de-value an obvious mobile phone to just USD $50 :D

Not an expert here, but customs officials can charge full duty and also impose fine if not also take some sort of penal action against you if you try to pull a stunt like de-value an obvious mobile phone to just USD $50 :D
Item doesnt have any invoice or amount mentioned, then also they can chage penalty? Via aramex..
Only mobile and amount mentioned to courier..

Changed amount to 65$

I'm not speaking from experience, I might have read something elsewhere on this forum about customs officials checking the actual current value of items and charging full duty, and potentially penalty amount for undervaluing the item.

But then again, I'm sure many people have gotten stuff through without issues this way.

I'm not speaking from experience, I might have read something elsewhere on this forum about customs officials checking the actual current value of items and charging full duty, and potentially penalty amount for undervaluing the item.

But then again, I'm sure many people have gotten stuff through without issues this way.

bro can you help me with one thing ? what is the current custom charges for a mobile phone

Don't buy any mobiles from outside India. From Nov 2015, BIS certification (its the Indian equivalent certification like CE,FCC,EU,RU) is compulsory for all electronic goods imported and goods not having that certification will be confiscated at customs. You will end up running around searching for import number etc. Usinf Aramex or any other service, the courier will take copy of original invoice and compute duty on that.

Normal customs duty is around 40-45% on phones. Plus, undervaluing will get additional charges of 15-30% depending on mood of accessing officer. You'll end up waiting for long time plus end up paying duty of around 3-5k depending on cost.

Damn that means my money is doomed..

You said customs is 40-45% but I had searched net and it was around 12.5% to 15% for mobiles.

It depends on how much target the officers have to meet in the new year. Just expect to pay more that what is mentioned.

Also another rookie mistake you made was marking item as gift. If buyer address and destination address match on invoice expect the customs agent to call you up for clarification.

It depends on how much target the officers have to meet in the new year. Just expect to pay more that what is mentioned.

Also another rookie mistake you made was marking item as gift. If buyer address and destination address match on invoice expect the customs agent to call you up for clarification.

First of all buyer address is of parcel forwarder and not mine and the shipping address item is of mine..

First of all buyer address is of parcel forwarder and not mine and the shipping address item is of mine..
Simply use shop and ship and get the phone shipped to their US address and from there they will ship it to India, They will handle the custom clearance thing, u will be charged approx 15%duty on the India mrp of the phone, In this case should be around 5k.

@6pack Also the duty on phones was never 40/50%, Also what target u are talking about ?

Simply use shop and ship and get the phone shipped to their US address and from there they will ship it to India, They will handle the custom clearance thing, u will be charged approx 15%duty on the India mrp of the phone, In this case should be around 5k.

@6pack Also the duty on phones was never 40/50%, Also what target u are talking about ?
I used something similar I used some usa to India parcel forwarder and shipped the item to my usa address i.e parcel forwarder , then when item is received by them I changed the declaration amount to around 60$ of the phone and marked it as a GIFT and shipped to India i.e my address via Aramex.. and in the commertial invoice they added the shipping charges making it to around 85$ in total declaration....So now the point is will I get penalty for declaring a 300$ mobile worth 60$ and marking it as GIFT :/ and if no how much they will charge me for customs or might charge me.

I used something similar I used some usa to India parcel forwarder and shipped the item to my usa address i.e parcel forwarder , then when item is received by them I changed the declaration amount to around 60$ of the phone and marked it as a GIFT and shipped to India i.e my address via Aramex.. and in the commertial invoice they added the shipping charges making it to around 85$ in total declaration....So now the point is will I get penalty for declaring a 300$ mobile worth 60$ and marking it as GIFT :/ and if no how much they will charge me for customs or might charge me.
Shop & ship is aramex, If u have used them they will ask you for the prof of payment like your PayPal payment screens shot and the invoice for it.

Still if the invoice or the original price of the item is 100$ India customs will assess the value of the phone at the price or retails here in India. So say of they asses it at 30k u will be charged approx 5k as customs/import duty.

Shop & ship is aramex, If u have used them they will ask you for the prof of payment like your PayPal payment screens shot and the invoice for it.

Still if the invoice or the original price of the item is 100$ India customs will assess the value of the phone at the price or retails here in India. So say of they asses it at 30k u will be charged approx 5k as customs/import duty.

bro I used different site and they didnt ask me for any invoice , they shipped the item with the price and item description I declared.. so, anyhow I will be charged 5k approx customs . ok got it.

Btw where u bought the phone from and for how much ?

actually a relative gifted me.. and I directed him to send via a parcel forwarder.. from a us store...!

therefore I think its USA Version and 4G wont work in INDIA due to differnece in bands except for 850 and 1800 , I thnk are supported but not 2300..dunno !

Target I was talking about was the target customs officers have to reach per year for collecting taxes. They catch all the people who dont do study before hand of customs and bring in costly items via courier/ems etc and charge hefty duty from them.

About the 40/50% duty, Yes, you're right. I have updated my knowledge. Now Its
Code:
No sales tax		
• Landing charges (1% CIF)
• Countervailing duty (12.5% (CIFD + Landing charges))
• CESS (0% (Duty + Landing charges + CEX (Education & Higher Education CESS) + Countervailing duty))
• Additional Countervailing Duty (0% (CIFD + Landing charges + Countervailing duty + CESS + CEX (Education & Higher Education CESS)))

Also this
Code:
For calculating the value limit of Rs.10,000/- in case of imports of gifts, postal charges or the airfreight is not taken into consideration. The value of Rs.10,000/- is taken as the value of the goods in the country from where these were dispatched.
If the value of the gifts received is more than Rs.10,000/-, the receiver has to pay Customs duty on the whole consignment, even if the goods were received free, unsolicited.

Last edited:
Countervailing duty + CESS + CEX (Education & Higher Education....
[/code]

Really, Custom babus have yearly target to collect customs duty, Dint new that.

Earlier the import duty in the year 2011/12 it was 1% later it was increased to 7% and now it is around 14%.

Customs on importing goods bought overseas depends on luck, I know people who have been charged duty on items worth 1k, But there are some lucky once who got the item worth 10k without paying any duty.

Back