Budget 31-40k need laptop for btech student

seshu

Adept
please suggest a fine laptop for a btech student

expecting FHD screen (brightness >= 250 nits)
8 gb ram (expandable to 16 gb)
512 gb or 256 gb ssd (expandable)
windows + ms office pre-installed
c port charging , hdmi out, 3 usb ports

a well known brand ...

Thank You

USB-C charging will not be available in this budget, unfortunately.

You'll have to look for 11th gen i3 models. Most models I found support a maximum of 12 GB RAM (4 GB soldered plus 8 GB module). Most of them also have around 220 nits of brightness.

Look for models from HP and ASUS in amazon

please suggest a fine laptop for a btech student

expecting FHD screen (brightness >= 250 nits)
8 gb ram (expandable to 16 gb)
512 gb or 256 gb ssd (expandable)
windows + ms office pre-installed
c port charging , hdmi out, 3 usb ports

a well known brand ...

Thank You
Why don't you go for a refurbished laptop? An i5 7/8 gen will serve you fine in the budget.

Why don't you go for a refurbished laptop? An i5 7/8 gen will serve you fine in the budget.
Similar question to the OP. I am getting a used ThinkPad carbon i7 8gen , 16gb ram, 512ssd for 35k. Usecase is just ms word, powerpoint and Google sheets, very basic Excel files. Want it to last at least 3-4 years. New hp pavilion ryzen 5625u is available for 45k on Flipkart. My budget permits 45k too but would really prefer a busines machine like thinoad due to the build. Do you think the i7 8gen can last 4 years for a very basic productivity usecase.

A B.Tech student doesn't need one until 2nd year or unless they're asked to do projects.
If you want the student to seriously study don't buy anything with a dedicated GPU. Strictly prefer laptops with 4c/8t CPU max and integrated graphics. 16GB RAM is ideal for running IDEs and browsers at the same time.
500GB SSD is plenty.

A B.Tech student doesn't need one until 2nd year or unless they're asked to do projects.
If you want the student to seriously study don't buy anything with a dedicated GPU. Strictly prefer laptops with 4c/8t CPU max and integrated graphics. 16GB RAM is ideal for running IDEs and browsers at the same time.
500GB SSD is plenty.
For a moment I thought you are my dad's burner account :D

Thank You All for kind suggestions

btech first semester itself has c-programming (South India)
it needs practicing at home ...

can't easily rely on refurbished models ..

Thank You

Thank You All for kind suggestions

btech first semester itself has c-programming (South India)
it needs practicing at home ...

can't easily rely on refurbished models ..

Thank You
C in 1st/2nd Sem is everywhere not just in South India. Syllabus for technical courses is almost same as it's approved by AICTE.
It doesn't need much practice outside the lab TBH unless you wanna make your career in C.
Even a Celeron/Pentium from the 90s can run C programs which are in scope for the technical courses.

Similar question to the OP. I am getting a used ThinkPad carbon i7 8gen , 16gb ram, 512ssd for 35k. Usecase is just ms word, powerpoint and Google sheets, very basic Excel files. Want it to last at least 3-4 years. New hp pavilion ryzen 5625u is available for 45k on Flipkart. My budget permits 45k too but would really prefer a busines machine like thinoad due to the build. Do you think the i7 8gen can last 4 years for a very basic productivity usecase.
The two main components prone to failure in used laptops are batteries (you'd certainly have to replace it after 3 years), and to a lesser extent, SSD. Depends how heavily its been used.
So check how much a replacement battery will cost, and check the SSD health (and do other diagnostics) before buying it.
The Thinkpad is a business class laptop, so most likely you will get faster SSD, better WiFi card, probably a better screen and a sturdy build.
So if diagnostics look okay, and you are getting the Thinkpad + a new battery at a similar or lower price than the new HP Pavilion - for sure, I'd pick the thinkpad.

Ryzen usually beats Intel on battery life, but the Thinkpad has an intel U processor and a larger battery than the HP and with a new battery, should last similar (or even more) than the Ryzen.

The Thinkpad is a no brainer for 1-2 years use. But because you said 4 years, that's trickier - but personally, I'd still inch towards the Thinkpad if it is in great condition and used under 3 years.

Back