Monitors Need opinions on Asus VK278Q LED Backlit Monitor

Lord Nemesis

Overlord
Skilled
Guy's, A colleague of mine has pointed me to this display (Asus VK278Q) and asking me if it is any good. Its a TN Panel, but seems like it has some decent user ratings on newegg.

I am myself also contemplating going for this if it is decent enough (or alternatively the Asus PA246Q Pro Art which is a 24" IPS). I was originally planning for the U2711 after giving up on using my LED TV as Monitor, but I have been hearing bad things about Dell A.S.S which seems to have gone down quite a bit. Not too keen on the idea of spending 42k and end up in a in a wait loop for months in case things go wrong (even if its only a remote possibility). I would prefer avoiding Dell if I can. I don't have such a good opinion of Asus support either, but at least the amount at stake would be much lower.

If the warranty is going to be through Rashi, then expect far worse customer service compared to Dell. Anyway, what is the price like?

^^ Well not expecting Asus A.S.S to be any better, but at least it wouldn't hurt as much as when you get poor service (or worse) after dishing out over 40k. Price for VK278Q is 22.5k.

Asus has also launched the ProArt series PA246 (P-IPS) in India. MRP is stated as 32k, so I am guessing street price to be close to 26k.

My 1st ASUS LCD bought 4-5 years back was distributed through Neoterique at that time . The second upgrade was to Dell U2311H although e-IPS i would recommend getting an IPS at least since its already cheap . check hardforums if there are any issues with the new ASUS 24" IPS .

anirudh said:
I recently took samsung 27d5000 led tv for 28k using as monitor now so will this Asus VK278Q LED be better than that.
I tried to use a Samsung 32D5000 LED TV as Monitor, but gave up after experiencing eye strain and neck pain and that is why I am going to get a Monitor.

Tron05 said:
Have you checked out Samsung's 27 incher LED LCD monitor... S27A550H for 20.5K MRP
Have already read about it and its a really crappy display according to a lot of people who have tried it.

hA1d3R said:
My 1st ASUS LCD bought 4-5 years back was distributed through Neoterique at that time . The second upgrade was to Dell U2311H although e-IPS i would recommend getting an IPS at least since its already cheap . check hardforums if there are any issues with the new ASUS 24" IPS .

I would absolutely prefer an IPS display myself, but the thing is that the Asus ProArt uses a P-IPS which is especially geared for Photo and video professionals than for the gaming crowd. Secondly its a 24" and 27" is fast becoming the norm these days.

I also considered 27" Monitors but then the price made me back away (Samsung's 20k 27incher is a strict NO-NO; considered Asus's LCD) .... Now I have decided to take 24" BenQ G2420HD or Dell U2411H (IPS Monitor). Inclined towards BenQ for it's 2x HDMI port, sound output & other various ports. Cuz gonna connect Xbox 360 to it. The Dell's IPS is superior to BenQ's 24incher, it is 3k costlier but worth it. But my need makes BenQ a better choice for me.

^^ Don't think they are the same. U2410 uses H-IPS where as PA246Q is P-IPS. Both are made by LG, but I am not sure if they are the same exact panel. According to Wikipedia H-IPS was originally introduced in 2007 while the P-IPS in 2010.

^^ Was mainly looking at 27" options that are not Dell. For 24", I would have gone for the PA246 itself. It would have worked out to the same price as U2410. In any case, I have placed the order for the VK278Q on Friday after reading that is a decent display for the price. While it stands nowhere before an IPS Panel, but still from what I read, it has very good viewing angles and color reproduction for a TN Panel. I just hope that it doesn't end up being too disappointing after having used an IPS for so many years.

Lord Nemesis said:
^^ Don't think they are the same. U2410 uses H-IPS where as PA246Q is P-IPS. Both are made by LG, but I am not sure if they are the same exact panel. According to Wikipedia H-IPS was originally introduced in 2007 while the P-IPS in 2010.
Nope, they're exactly the same. Same OEM.

Lord Nemesis said:
In any case, I have placed the order for the VK278Q on Friday after reading that is a decent display for the price.
From an IPS panel to a TN? Good luck! :p

Anyhow, keep us posted on the performance of the display once you receive it.

^^ Well, It seems that I am destined to get the U2711 in the end. :ashamed: I ended up changing my Asus VK278Q order to U2711. :p

Due to some personal reasons, I needed to get delivery of the display before next Friday and prime was not in a position to ship the Asus display anytime before Monday due to unavailability of stocks and that was also tentative. It became a question of either canceling the order for now or changing the order to BenQ M2700HD or Dell U2711 which were both in ready stock. After some deliberation, I ended coughing up the price difference for U2711 and got it shipped immediately.

I just hope that like my 2007WFP I would get a perfect piece and I would never have to avail warranty on it in the next 3 years at least. My 2007WFP doesn't even have a dead pixel after so many years of usage.

Even im on the lookout for a 27" LED.... IPS is way outta my budget so TN will do.

Lord Nemesis since you've already done the research it'd be great if you can help me :)

I was browsing Indian websites and they claim that the BenQ M2700HD is LED? whereas in some places its just TFT LCD :S ? also how much does it cost?

Why is the Samsung S27A550H a No No? I'm fine with normal TN monitors. How much does this cost??

Viewsonic VG2732m-LED how is this and for how much?

and finally the Asus VK278Q how is this compared to the rest?

Mind you i want to spend the least amt possible for the best performance.....the right ratio is hard to hit :)

prime also has this BULKY acer for 19k - Buy Acer LCD Monitor | Acer 27 inch LCD Monitor | Buy LCD Monitor

Will they be getting this soon? Newegg.com - Acer S273HLbmii Black 27" 2ms Full HD HDMI LED BackLight LCD Monitor Slim Design w/Speaker 300 cd/m2 ACM 12,000,000:1

Benq M2700HD is not LED back lit AFAIK, if it were it would have been a much advertised feature like their other LED line up. Benq should soon be releasing the EW2730, a 27" LED back lit display with a VA Panel.

No idea on the VG2732m.

Asus VK278Q has decent user reviews. The color reproduction and viewing angles are said to be pretty good for a TN Panel. The main gripe people had with the display is complete lack height adjustment and a somewhat wobbly base.

I think VK278Q would be the best display in the price bracket it sells for.

Lord Nemesis said:
^^ Well, It seems that I am destined to get the U2711 in the end. :ashamed: I ended up changing my Asus VK278Q order to U2711. :p
Wow! That's awesome. How much did you end up paying for it anyway?

I hope it doesn't ship with any backlight bleeding issues.

Back