Need recommendations : Front load Washing Machine (8Kg) and Refrigerator (600+Litre)

dopplenoob

Disciple
Budget for washing machine is 40k(max). Front loan and 8kg capacity.
For refrigerator, ideally 680/700litre will be great but 600+ is definitely needed. Max Budget is 1 lac.
Need recommendations on brands mainly. Lower cost is better obviously but durability is also important.

I've heard that Bosch has really good washing machines with low maintenance and high durability. Heard mixed reviews for LG/Samsung/IFB. But a lot of it anecdotal.

For Refrigerator, I don't really have any preference and our current 380L fridge from Samsung has been going strong for 9 years with one moderate repair. LG/Samsung seems good but many of their models have useless smart functions and touch buttons and what not. I'm not a big fan of this new tech and features because all this electronics gets expensive when it comes to maintenance and reparability.

Also, has anyone had any experience with Haier refrigerators. They have a 700Litre 4-door model which is convertible which means the standard configuration is 2-standard and 2-freezer but one freezer compartment can be converted to standard if needed. Vegetarian here so don't really need a lot of space for refrigerator. Only ice and ice-creams are stored at my place. Link to Haier Model.

Last edited:
I have IFB front load machine of 8Kg. It will a little north of 40k i think. My machine is working absolutely fine for 5 years now. No issues. My aunt also has IFB machine (7kg). Their's is even older and it works great. Both of them are in KOLKATA and service is good there. One of the machine got serviced once and IFB guys came promptly.

I have IFB front load machine of 8Kg. It will a little north of 40k i think. My machine is working absolutely fine for 5 years now. No issues. My aunt also has IFB machine (7kg). Their's is even older and it works great. Both of them are in KOLKATA and service is good there. One of the machine got serviced once and IFB guys came promptly.
I looked at LG/Samsung/IFB/Bosch/Siemens and I think I'm going to go with Bosch . I'm getting it for around 38k and Bosch has a good reputation for machines from what I've heard. I realized a lot of the machines at this budget have the same features and everything.

LG washing machines for some reason have the smallest space inside at the same capacity.

I looked at LG/Samsung/IFB/Bosch/Siemens and I think I'm going to go with Bosch . I'm getting it for around 38k and Bosch has a good reputation for machines from what I've heard. I realized a lot of the machines at this budget have the same features and everything.

LG washing machines for some reason have the smallest space inside at the same capacity.
Bosch used sealed drums. If you are fine with replacing it every 6 years, I would look at Lg because they can have replaceable bearings or even replace half the drum.

In LG till 7kg size you get machines with narrow volume drum capacity, only in 8kg machines you get bigger drum capacity. Also one model of 7kg and all 8 and 9kg Lg machines have the same exact drum size. Its only their motors which are uprated to handle the higher load.

If you want the biggest drum size of 8kg machines check out whirlpool 8kg freshcare model. But like like bosch it has a sealed drum.

Budget for washing machine is 40k(max). Front loan and 8kg capacity.

I've heard that Bosch has really good washing machines with low maintenance and high durability. Heard mixed reviews for LG/Samsung/IFB. But a lot of it anecdotal.
See this post

Have you used a front loader at that location before ?

No first time using a front loader. We've been using the top load samsung machine for around 10 years now.

https://www.amazon.in/Bosch-1400RPM-INVERTER-Automatic-WAJ28262IN/dp/B08J3KFLBT - This is the machine we are looking to get.
Can't change bearings on Bosch as the drum is sealed. So should that problem occur in the future you will have to replace the machine. Bosch has done this in order to keep the pricing competitive in the Indian market.

And this ?
Before you get a front loader you need to know

- what the water pressure is ? how high up is the water tank from where the machine will be located ?

- how hard the water is. This will have a bearing on the life of the machine. Some parts of Bangalore the water is sourced from borewells and is very hard. Machine will not last more than five years unless you install an ion exchange filter or water softener.

- Check if the machine will enter the doors of the house and whether there is enough space in the room where you intend to keep it

Can't change bearings on Bosch as the drum is sealed. So should that problem occur in the future you will have to replace the machine. Bosch has done this in order to keep the pricing competitive in the Indian market.

And this ?
Are drums likely to develop faults? So, according to you the LG model would be a better buy considering better reparability?
My parents are clinging to Bosch because its "German".
We plan to use the machine minimum for 10 years assuming there are no major repairs needed. Our Samsung top load has served us extremely well.

Water is not an issue in Mumbai in our locality. BMC takes care of everything. Pressure should also be fine as my neighbours also use a front load (siemens) without any additional equipment for pressure regulation.

Entry and placement is not an issue.

Are drums likely to develop faults?
Over time the bearings need to be changed. This will happen sooner if you use the wrong detergent that foams up and fills the drum. As this foam then gets into the bearing seals and weakens them. Over time water enters the bearings and your machine sounds like a jet aircraft.
So, according to you the LG model would be a better buy considering better reparability?
That's the theory.
My parents are clinging to Bosch because its "German".
As did many here who got Bosch over the years. But then discovered this sealed drum problem for a simple bearings change. Earlier the drums were not sealed so this fix was feasible.
We plan to use the machine minimum for 10 years assuming there are no major repairs needed. Our Samsung top load has served us extremely well.
How long it lasts depends on how well its cared for. Avoid overloading. Not having hard water. Using the correct front loading detergent.

My estimation of the duty cycle is around 1.5- 2k cycles for this kind of machine. You can get up to 2,000 washes before it dies. Die means drum support failure.

Taking into consideration the above I think 10 years is feasible. Using it 4-5times a week. Though the average seems to be around 7 years before replacement.

Maybe those with Bosch machines can comment as to longevity. My LG is six years old with no issues. I use it three times a week.
Water is not an issue in Mumbai in our locality. BMC takes care of everything. Pressure should also be fine as my neighbours also use a front load (siemens) without any additional equipment for pressure regulation.

Entry and placement is not an issue.
What made you want to try a front loader ?
Can you tell us the model number of that Samsung and the dimensions of the drum ?

So height to the gasket and diameter so as to figure out the actual volume of that top loader.

Last edited:
Over time the bearings need to be changed. This will happen sooner if you use the wrong detergent that foams up and fills the drum. As this foam then gets into the bearing seals and weakens them. Over time water enters the bearings and your machine sounds like a jet aircraft.

That's the theory.

As did many here who got Bosch over the years. But then discovered this sealed drum problem for a simple bearings change. Earlier the drums were not sealed so this fix was feasible.

How long it lasts depends on how well its cared for. Avoid overloading. Not having hard water. Using the correct front loading detergent.

My estimation of the duty cycle is around 1.5- 2k cycles for this kind of machine. You can get up to 2,000 washes before it dies. Die means drum support failure.

Taking into consideration the above I think 10 years is feasible. Using it 4-5times a week. Though the average seems to be around 7 years before replacement.

Maybe those with Bosch machines can comment as to longevity. My LG is six years old with no issues. I use it three times a week.

What made you want to try a front loader ?

Can you tell us the model number of that Samsung and the dimensions of the drum ?

So height to the gasket and diameter so as to figure out the actual volume of that top loader.
This samsung one l:https://www.flipkart.com/samsung-wa95bwbeh-automatic-7-5-kg-washer-dryer/p/itmd4ff6gvdn3ftj

Don't have enough space for a top load machine. Also, I've heard it uses less water and cleans better.

I'm going try convincing my parents to consider other options. My mom is very careful with all appliances.

Any recommendations for detergent? We use a no-name local detergent right now for the top load because it's way cheaper than branded ones.

Do you still have access to the machine ? and can you give the dimensions I asked for. This has a bearing on what size FL to get.
Also, I've heard it uses less water and cleans better.
It does provided you wash at a minimum of 40 degrees. The enzymes in the detergent get fully activated and go about removing stains they were designed for. Human body oils or sebum melts at 30 degrees so all that comes off better too.

With a TL its expensive to heat up the water so you run it at whatever temperature water is in your overhead tank. If its warm and near 40 degrees good. But if its 30 or below then your wash won't be as good. So what you can expect with a FL is fixed variables and a predictable baseline to tweak after.

In fact knowing the above i would not use a TL at all unless there was a way to feed it water at 40 degrees say from a solar water heater. Definitely not what came out of the tap.

There are people on YT who mistakenly use a FL with cold water to save on energy consumption not understanding they are not getting the best job done.
I'm going try convincing my parents to consider other options. My mom is very careful with all appliances.
A FL is a good choice. Better than a TL. There are guidelines to follow which we can get into later
Any recommendations for detergent? We use a no-name local detergent right now for the top load because it's way cheaper than branded ones.
Either Ariel or Surf for front loaders. These are formulated to use in front loaders. Won't foam up like top loader detergent and will get the job done.

Stick to powders. They are good enough. People go with liquids because they say it dissolves better. Well if that happens then they are overloading.

So what are the dimensions of your present TL tub ?

Back