PC Peripherals Need side exhaust fan for SG13 with ATX PSU

StygianClaw

Disciple
Hey guys, I recently built an ITX rig in a Silverstone SG13 cabinet. I’m using an ATX PSU and 120mm AIO. I wanted to add a small side exhaust fan suspended with zip ties but I’m not sure what dimensions would fit in the gap between the ATX PSU and side panel vents. Can someone who has tried this share their experience?

Also it would be great if you can tell me where I can buy good quality 60/80/92mm slim fans with PWM online in India.

With an SFX PSU I was able to ziptie a 92x2.5mm on the side rail and it lined up perfectly with the vent holes. I'm doubtful you can do that with ATX. Do you have 16-17mm between the outside shell and PSU?
Your mobo's heatsinks, sockets and etc may also interfere. With my MSI B450i I can barely fit a 120mm slim but its not aligned.

You won't get slim fans in any of those sizes in India. I've looked real hard for close to 2 years now and ended up having a relative get me a Scythe Kaze flex 92mm from Murica.

No chance for a 25mm fan I’m afraid. I might be able to squeeze in a Noctua NF-A9x14mm. No VRMs on that side (MSI B550I), But the thumbscrews for the AIO’s AM4 mount are slightly angled outwards and the CPU socket seems to be higher up compared to other boards. I’ll make a mock-up with the same dimensions this weekend and check.

PrimeABGB used to carry this model it seems but it’s currently out of stock. Hopefully it’ll be restocked soon, else I’ll ask my relatives who might be returning from US in Feb :(

The thickness should be fine but a 120mm fan would be hard to fit in there. Also half the fan area would be blocked by the PSU. Once I try the mockup I'll post an update here if it can be done.

PrimeABGB used to carry this model it seems but it’s currently out of stock. Hopefully it’ll be restocked soon, else I’ll ask my relatives who might be returning from US in Feb :(
Don't hold your breath. That model has been out of stock at Pabgb since late 2018 or so. Better get it from abroad. Would also recommend Scythe Kaze Flex since imho it seems to push even more air than the Noctua at pretty much same noise level.

TBH, its a pointless attempt because more than 80% of your fan will be blocked by the PSU. Your PSU will act as a decent exhaust.

EDIT : Found this reddit thread. One of the comments mention that you can't use a fan if you go ATX. From all my modding attempts I'd say it is highly possible you can't at all. With my SFX PSU, I didn't even have to ziptie the 92x2.5mm fan, it was nicely jammed to the side panel.

Last edited:
Yeah looks like it’s not worth it. I tried it out, only some 12mm fans like the Scythe slip stream can fit while causing a slight bulge on the panel. I gave up the idea. Currently I’m using a CV650 PSU as exhaust and a H60 as intake. It’s working well and is silent but I was worried about the long term effects of putting hot air through a budget PSU. I think I’ll just upgrade the PSU later.

Back