Need Smart Plug for AC

I wanted to get a smart plug for my AC to monitor the power consumption. However, I believe the socket seems to be a bit old for the smart plug to fit into it. Please do have a look at the images below.
Can any smart plug fit into it? If so, which brand should I go for?
Budget max-1k unless feature is very compelling or useful.
I am already thinking about this, should the socket fit in.

Attachments

• 1624442723687_rez.jpg
    1624442723687_rez.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 106
  • 1624442723690_rez.jpg
    1624442723690_rez.jpg
    245.8 KB · Views: 97
That is an industrial plug and socket, called SPN i think. It was used even in residential installations because old ACs had a very high starting surge current, more than the 16A sockets we had could safely handle. It's 20-30 amps i think.

Those sockets are redundant today especially with inverter ACs because the load is easily handled by a good quality 16A socket.

The smart plug you've linked clearly mentions that it's 16A so there's no way it's going to fit into your socket. Also very unlikely you're going to find a smart plug for an industrial socket.

You will most likely need to change the socket (and plug on the AC) to a regular 16A one.

These days you can get good quality surface mount (not-concealed) boxes which can take modular type switches and sockets on the cover plate, for very reasonable prices.

These days you can get good quality surface mount (not-concealed) boxes which can take modular type switches and sockets on the cover plate, for very reasonable prices.
It's a 260V, 20A rated.
Can you show me some images if possible, so that I will have a better idea if I have to tell my electrician. Also, a rough figure for the plug and socket.. 1k, 2k?
I do remember we had a simple 3 pin plug(ac), a socket and a basic switch to turn on/off a 1.2 ton ac. The electrician suggested to go for this arrangement to protect from fires(possibly from surge in current).
Edit: Is this the one you are talking about?

Last edited:
If you have proper circuit breakers at the main input, surge/fire shouldn't be a fear in the first place. Today, there's no excuse for not having an RCCB too along with the MCBs.

Even a basic box like this one should be enough. However, there's a catch. Make sure the socket material inside (the little assembly holding the actually metal female contacts) is ceramic and not plastic. You can't really tell without opening it, but if buying from a local store they will tell you if you ask them. It's not very easy to get ceramic, but not a big adventure either.
P_20210623_164207.jpg
P_20210623_164410.jpg

This is an extension box i had made in Bombay a few years ago for a window AC. Note the ceramic holders.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back