Need some info from Apple app store users/developers

Lord Nemesis

Overlord
Skilled
As the title suggests, I need some info from people who have used/preferably developed apps for Apple app store.

I was having a discussion about apples revenue model with a couple of colleagues in the context of a project.

Just to explain the scenario, Lets say I have an app that can be used to read books that are in a proprietary format. I want to put up the free of charge. However the users will be able to buy books inside the app lets say via Paypal or any other payment system that is not Apples. Is such a model allowed/approved by Apple.

Although I read that Apple has facilitated Paypal to allow in app payments, I am not sure about the limitations of such a system. (Knowing Apple, there would be many). The article I read also talks about the system being limited to Physical goods or services. I doubt an electronic version of book/magazine constitutes that.

So Is it possible to bypass Apple's cut of the revenue in such a system as I described. I am pretty sure that Apple would not leave such a loop hole in the system, but my colleagues are not convinced.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Hello.. anyone with experience of the same care to reply? I need confirmation on this.

Back