Need Suggestion: Sony Xperia U @16K [Dual Core, ICS 4.0]

If you are in Custom ROMs then you may be disappointed because Chipset and GPU are not so popular and there is not many ROMS for Sony Phones, moreover the Screen size is only 3.5". Sony has a very slow update release cycle. There is no card slot and internal memory is only 4GB. If you are OK with all these then this may be a OK (not Good) choice.

AFAIK or as Flipkart and GSMarena says it comes with 2.3 GB, so you'll have to wait for ICS, GOK when Sony will release the update

I'd never take this phone if I'm in your place, that says it all

It has just been released, so reviews should pop up in few days.
And the only shortcoming I can see is 4 GB of user accesible memory with no expandable memory, if you can live with that then this is total VFM at 16K.

Its the only Dual core phone at 16K budget and currently on 2.3 GB but a ICS upgrade is confirmed by SONY
paarkhi : I doubt a normal user cares about Custom ROM's

RAY: 1GHZ single core 512mb RAM / 295 PPI / 8MP EXMOR R camera 720p video / microSD Slot / 1500mah battery / ICS available
U: 1GHZ dual core 512mb RAM / 280 PPI / 5MP cam 720p video / 1350mah battery / no ICS at launch

the ray was 17,200 on flipkart all these days(after 1500 cash back) now its 17,700(after 1000 cash back)
xperia U was 17,300 on flipkart all these days for pre-order and now reduced to 16,499!

Sanav3 : I already said regarding the custom ROMs,
and I've tried to list Pros and Cons for OP as my understanding
Pros :
Brand (Sony)
Dual Core

Cons:
2.3 GB
3.5" Screen Size
512MB RAM
No Card Slot
Chipset and GPU and not so known brand
Rest depends on OP whether to buy or not

4GB Internal and no card Slot.. Pathetic!!
Ray is better..
Why dont you go for sola? 20K, and it has card slot..
Right now, Sony is releasing updates faster than others so dont worry about ICS Upgrade..

^^well its a new phone do you expect it to have boatloads of rom ?

Other than measly storage space the phone is awesome. The phone boats of very high ppi display irrespective of size mind you even iphone has 3.5" display so shouldn't be that small.

Pricing seems to be a little high consider the phone has no storage expandibility options, seriously why they left it out is hard to understand.

I'll say check Sola , it has all the specs + expandibility options with floating touch. But the availability of custom rom even in future is questionable and will only depend on developer interest in this phone.

Edit - You can get sola for 19k using some coupon GC65D1APFN35 at homeshop18

I think the Sola is a better option.

C'mon can anybody live with 2..3GB User accessible memory on a 16.5k phone(seriously SONY what is wrong with you?)?

The Sola @ 19k gives you everything:
- an excellent design
- MMC support(yay! even nokia 110 and 112 have them)
- 3.7" Screen
- ICS upgrade(apparently the release date is June)

I think the Sola is a better option.

C'mon can anybody live with 2..3GB User accessible memory on a 16.5k phone(seriously SONY what is wrong with you?)?

The Sola @ 19k gives you everything:
- an excellent design
- MMC support(yay! even nokia 110 and 112 have them)
- 3.7" Screen
- ICS upgrade(apparently the release date is June)

its 2.3 GingerBread and 4 GB user accesible space (the hope is some space from total 8 GB might be reclamied after rooting/mod)
And one suggestion in a previous thread was to use a Pen drive for extra space as phone supports USB OTG :bleh:

I got this phone for my sister, yesterday. It has 8GB space [2GB system + 2GB apps + 4GB User]. The Default ROM is very smooth. ICS update is scheduled so we should it in month or so. It is a new phone so custom ROMs won't be available right now but hopefully we can see some in future. Lack of memory card slot is definitely a negative for those who store a lot on their phone.

@kRuSnIk can you please update us on the battery backup of the phone under following -

1. Normal usage - casual music / web , some apps
2. Media Usage - heavy music/ web and some more apps.
3. Heavy - gaming + music + video

Though I'll be under the first 2 category since I don't like mobile gaming much.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know why companies expect people to churn out 17-19k and leave out inevitable features such as secondary cam or card slot.

And we would never know :)
Get the HTC Sensation or Motorola Atrix 2, they would satisfy your requirements.
Or hope the Galaxy S advance, launched at 23.5K drops down to 20K soon

Back