Budget 41-50k Need suggestions for a new gaming PC

jumping

Disciple
Hi

I am looking to build a new gaming PC. Details are as follows:

Q: What is your budget?
45 - 55k, can go above a bit if required.

Q: What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
5 yr old computer, almost junk.

Q: Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
Samsung 19 inch monitor, Seagate 1 TB HDD, MSI GTX 560 Ti Graphics Card

Q: Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.

Processor ----------- Intel Core i5 3550 OR Core i5 3570k
Motherboard ------- GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H
RAM ------------------ (Not Decided)
Hard-drive ----------- Seagate 2 TB 7200.14
Optical drive ------- LG DVD Writer
Graphics Unit------- Keeping MSI 560 Ti
Monitor --------------- Keeping current one
Cabinet --------------- Corsair 400R
SMPS ---------------- Corsair 750W

Q: Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component

Plan to upgrade my monitor to 24 inch and add a SSD in 3 - 4 months

Q: Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
Online and Mumbai Lamington Road

Q: Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
No

Q: What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
Gaming / Downloads

Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
None

Q: If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
Mostly RPGs but others too - Civilization, Deus EX, Dishonored, SW:TOR,

Q: What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
My current monitor is 1440 x 900, but will upgrade to Full HD very soon.

Q: Are you looking to overclock?
Not sure about this, see below.

Q: Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
Windows 7

I don't want to upgrade proccessor / motherboard for next 3 - 4 years, only will upgrade the grahics card after 1.5 - 2 years. I have 3 questions:

1) Is overclocking worth it ? If I overclock, I will not mess with voltage, only frequency. I have read that 3570K can be pushed to 4 GHz without touching the voltage, and thats what I intend to do. However, the costs are steep. Overclocking means 14K on 3570K whereas 3550 is 2k cheaper. Plus I make large savings on the board, can use GA-H77M-D3H for 5.5k instead of GA-Z77X-UD3H for 13.5k. And I save 4-5k on extra cooling for CPU and beefy power supply. Total cost of overclocking comes to 15k ish, for 600 Hz frequency boost. So not very convinced about overclocing. Is it worth the 15k ?

2) Assuming I do overclock and want to go 2x 660 Ti SLI, do I need a 750W power supply, or will 650W be sufficient ? What if I don't overclock at all ?

3) Is the GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H available in lamington road ? Here is a googlecache link of it on Prime's site at 11.5k (2k cheaper than flipkart), but its not available now (was available yesterday morning). Is it available anywhere else for cheaper ?

Thanks a lot guys for taking the time to answer my queries!

1) Is overclocking worth it ? If I overclock, I will not mess with voltage, only frequency. I have read that 3570K can be pushed to 4 GHz without touching the voltage, and thats what I intend to do. However, the costs are steep. Overclocking means 14K on 3570K whereas 3550 is 2k cheaper. Plus I make large savings on the board, can use GA-H77M-D3H for 5.5k instead of GA-Z77X-UD3H for 13.5k. And I save 4-5k on extra cooling for CPU and beefy power supply. Total cost of overclocking comes to 15k ish, for 600 Hz frequency boost. So not very convinced about overclocing. Is it worth the 15k ?

2) Assuming I do overclock and want to go 2x 660 Ti SLI, do I need a 750W power supply, or will 650W be sufficient ? What if I don't overclock at all ?

3) Is the GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H available in lamington road ? Here is a googlecache link of it on Prime's site at 11.5k (2k cheaper than flipkart), but its not available now (was available yesterday morning). Is it available anywhere else for cheaper ?

Thanks a lot guys for taking the time to answer my queries!

Do you think that it is worth it? If yes by all means get an unlocked processor + Z77 based motherboard. If on the other hand you are fine with the processor running its course for 3 -->4 years, no need to buy an unlocked processor and the associated paraphernalia.

Again, if you want to go for a SLi setup, don't wait for the card to become cheaper buy it NOW OR in the immediate future (not more than ~6 months from now). And then to exploit it you will need to over-clock your system, you will need to a 750W SMPS (to be on the safer side).

The Google cached page throws up a 404 Error.

Anyway, this is what I suggest --
Intel Core i5 3550 ~12500/-
ASUS-P8H77-M PRO ~10500/- OR Intel DH77-KC ~7000/-
G.Skill RIPJAWS 4GB x2 1600MHz ~3200/-
Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 1TB ~4200/- (get a large-capacity dump drive later)
HP / ASUS (boxed) optical drive ~1000/-
GIGABYTE GTX660 2GB ~15700/- OR Sapphire HD7870 2GB ~18000/- (you can upgrade the card ~2 -->3 years later)
Seasonic S12II 520W ~4200/- OR Corsair TX v2650W ~5600/-
Corsair Carbide 400R ~5500/-
APC BR1100VA-IN ~5000/-

Hope this helps, Cheerio!

Also, welcome to TechEnclave, have a pleasant stay.

My advice, if you're not too keen on overclocking, invest in other components like an SSD, sound card, better cabinet etc. These will be much more useful for you rather than the 600Mhz speed bump which won't be noticeable in most applications.

Hi

Thanks again for your replies! I decided to skip overclocking and went with the spec below. Posting the prices in case it helps others:

Intel Core i5 3550 --------------- Rs 12,250
GIGABYTE GA-H77-DS3H ------------- Rs 7,050
GSkill Ripjaws 12800 4GB x 2 ----- Rs 2,700
Seagate 2 TB HDD ----------------- Rs 5,900
OCZ Vertex 4 SSD ----------------- Rs 7,300
Corsair TX650 V2 PSU ------------- Rs 5,400
Corsair 400R Cabinet ------------- Rs 4,700
LG DVD Writer -------------------- Rs 900

Adding the 2% extra for paying through CC, 47k INR total. I kept my current MSI 560 Ti graphics card, so saved a lot of money there :)

Also got the following prices for overclocking options:

Core i5 3570k ---------------- Rs 14,100
Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H -------- Rs 11,750
Corsair TX750 V2 PSU --------- Rs 6,500

Considering that I also did not have to buy an aftermarket cooler for around 2.5 - 3k, I saved around 10 - 11k by skipping overclocking.

Oh, and the Gigabyte mATX GA-H77M-D3H was available for 5.5k, but preferred to go with a full ATX board for the added expansion slots.

So far, pretty happy with the purchase, especially the 20 second system boots :)

Intel Core i5 3550 --------------- Rs 12,800
Intel DH77EB --------------------- Rs 6,100
Corsair Vengeance 12800 8GB x 2 -- Rs 5,400
Corsair 400R Cabinet ------------- Rs 4,700

This is what I purchased a week ago in hyd.

Got GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H @ 12.8K a few months back.Price drop big wow!
GO FOR IT,it's NICE :-D

Available @ Computer Selection (good shop,ask him that a guy he knows purchased the same board 2 months back,from the "SAME COLLEGE")

Back