All OS Need tablet display On 24x7, should I continuously charge or have charge and discharge cycles?

raksrules

Elite
So until now, I was using my very old iPad 2 from 2011 as wall clock and it was connected to power 24x7. I knew eventually the battery would give up and now it did. There is visible bulge in the tablet and screen has come up. Now I can get its battery replaced but it is not cheap and it would be some 3rd party one and will result in same situation again and may be far sooner.

Since we have got used to the always on, big screen, digital clock, I was trying to find alternatives and I have a Fire HD 10 tablet with cracked screen that I intend to use for the purpose. The tablet is not being used and I am fully aware I may end up with same situation with the battery of this tablet and it may even be sooner as one cannot compare iPad battery with fire tablet one.

So my question is, whether it makes sense to have some sort of smart plug attached to the power supply of this Fire tab to have charge and discharge cycles which may help me in not causing the battery bulge (hopefully). Or I can continue using constant power supply? The charger I have right now is super slow I feel (which is good I think). It outputs 0.7A current and with screen continuously on, it is charging very slow which I am guessing is good? Case in point, yesterday night 9 PM I had 68% battery when I put the tablet on the wall (on a palmet) and kept for charging with display on full time and after 18 hours too, battery was 84% charged. So yes it seems it is charging very slowly due to combination of 0.7A output and continuous screen on.

I have an old Dell Windows tablet that acts like a dashboard. Of course, it does all the things that you'd normally use a Pi for in the background. I have removed the battery though because it started swelling after some time. Also, I have set an auto-on time in the BIOS along with a shutdown time in the scheduler as it is largely pointless keeping the tablet on when no one looks at it, so probably you don't need to keep it on 24x7.

perhaps better to remove tab's battery AND use some sort of ups power supply ...

large digits wall clock with power backup might be available (online or offline)

Back