need the best sounding mp3 player

Ipod touch.I own touch 2g and it has awesome SQ with good headphones.Read the latest forums on head fi and you will see many prefer it over cowon,sony,zune and sansa.

You just cannot complain your ipod touch 1g does not sound good with these kind of headphone.First buy new headphones (atleast NE7M/RE2 both costs under $ 50 ) and try with your ipod touch 1g.If you buy something like monster turbine or RE0 ( both over $ 100) nothing like it

if you really care about SQ,this combo will sound way better than any other "best sounding" player + your old headphones

Ipod touch 1g is not that bad sounding player,problem is its sound is colder and more analytical.We need some kind of warm headphone(Nuforce NE7M/Monster Turbine) with it

Firstly, I suggest you to get some really good earphones like Head-Direct RE-2 and the likes.

As for the player, you can look out for Cowon D2/D2+ or Cowon S9.

Mention your budget too.

anirudh said:
I need the best sounding mp3 player....suggest me

How does one determine the answer to this question :(

It would require everyone that posted to have tried out the same set of players and then made a choice which is unlikely.

One way is if you know the quailty of the DAC used in the player and then go with that. The cheaper it is the lower the quality output. But that kind of info is not easy to find at all. In fact the only time you will ever hear about it is if its a distinguishing feature and the vendor thinks he can justify a higher asking price by mentioning it. But i bet not a single mp3 player does so because they prolly are fairly close in quality ie they are standard across most players and nothing to brag about. So sound production is fairly similar across all mp3 players. They are after all to be used in a not so perfect listening environment anyway.

So 'best sounding' is a useless metric with which to choose a mp3 player. Best sounding applies more to headphones & higher end (ie non-portable) equipment than mp3 players ;)

I bet if ppl here underwent a double blind test with all the recommended players so far that they would be unable to distinguish between any given the same playback file & headphones.

Instead go with features and then see how much you can do without to fit into your budget. How well does the player do its job, how easy it is to use, looks (?), what it can or cannot do etc.

Back