Need to buy android phone

matrix0683

Disciple
I have been the earlier adopter of Android and am currently using Motorola Milestone. I bought it when it was first launched in India. However now I am looking for a change. My primary reasons for change are:
1) Sluggish performance of Milestone as it has only 256 MB RAM, and it seems struggling now with ever increasing apps.
2) No further updates post 2.2

I see that the market is being dominated with 4.3 and 4 inch screen sizes, however for me 3.7 inch screen size seems optimum. The others are too big for me to be handled in an appropriate way.

I am looking for a snazzier android phone which has great performance, good battery backup and a screen size of 3.7 inch.

Please advise a good smartphone to which i can upgrade. Budget is not a constraint.

Check these:

1. HTC Desire : S (3.7", around 23k)

2. LG Optimus 2X (dual-core, 4", Tegra powered, around 25.5k online, the factory ROM is buggy and you will need to put a custom ROM on it)

kvikram said:
You didn't mention your budget.

For 14k on letsbuy, Motorola Defy is an awesome phone. At 20k, I really recommend samsung nexus s.
Budget is not an issue, but i guess I dont want to try another motorola. Is Nexus S a good buy, will it be getting future updates. I would like to keep the phone for close to 1-1.5 yrs. I can also wait if there are some new phones coming.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

desiibond said:
Check these:

1. HTC Desire:S (3.7", around 23k)
2. LG Optimus 2X (dual-core, 4", Tegra powered, around 25.5k online, the factory ROM is buggy and you will need to put a custom ROM on it)

HTC Desire S seems a good option, hows the battery backup for this phone. I am not sure abour LG Optimus 2X, hows the performance with Custom ROM.

matrix0683 said:
Budget is not an issue, but i guess I dont want to try another motorola. Is Nexus S a good buy, will it be getting future updates. I would like to keep the phone for close to 1-1.5 yrs. I can also wait if there are some new phones coming.

HTC Desire S seems a good option, hows the battery backup for this phone. I am not sure abour LG Optimus 2X, hows the performance with Custom ROM.

D:S battery is much better than other HTC devices and should last till you hit the lights off (on moderate use)

2X performance is much much much better on custom ROMs. head to XDA and have a discussion with those having first hand experience with custom ROMs.

DarkAngel said:
If budget is not an issue look no further than the Galaxy SII :) You can get it for ~28k from letsbuy if you manage to get the Cashback 10% max 3k coupon.

Budget is not a problem but the screen size is a big let down, I dont find 4.3 inch screen convenient for use, the best screen size which i can think of is 3.7-4.0. Are there any plans for samsung to launch a phone with similar specs with smaller screen size.

desiibond said:
D:S battery is much better than other HTC devices and should last till you hit the lights off (on moderate use)
2X performance is much much much better on custom ROMs. head to XDA and have a discussion with those having first hand experience with custom ROMs.

I think I can look for 2X for sheer hardware specs, or HTC for the best UI.

Ditching your phone so soon? I know it's a bit of old hardware, but it still is not outdated. The low budget android are still being shipped with the h/w of milestone and yes with a little extra ram.

Did you try installing unofficial port of Cyanogenmod rom 7? If you haven't so far, YOU must try installing it and use your phone. I bet the experience will be a LOTT better than your current one.

After using CM7 for couple of weeks then returning back to stock rom, I can see a hell of a difference on my Galaxy S.

So even if you buy a new device now, it'll be laggy unless you flash a custom rom. Take got ex: SGS and Optimus 2x or Defy etc.

But if you are not interested in modding, yet want a snappier device, SGS II is the only option. And no custom rom can make it further fast, cause it's already too fast. :)

Custom roms for sgs ii can only help in getting os tweaks and ui changes....

Here's the link to CM7 for your Milestone. DO try it before spending your money.

forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=941346

matrix0683:1871767 said:
I have bees n the earlier adopter of Android and am currently using Motorola Milestone. I bought it when it was first launched in India. However now I am looking for a change. My primary reasons for change are:
1) Sluggish performance of Milestone as it has only 256 MB RAM, and it seems struggling now with ever increasing apps.

I see that the market is being dominated with 4.3 and 4 inch screen sizes, however for me 3.7 inch screen size seems optimum. The others are too big for me to be handled in an appropriate way.

I am looking for a snazzier android phone which has great performance, good battery backup and a screen size of 3.7 inch.

Please advise a good smartphone to which i can upgrade. Budget is not a constraint.

matrix0683 said:

If nexus S wont get future updates then I don't know what will.

It is google experience device so the 1st one to get updates.

4" but that is best you can get at 20k rightnow.

Best in terms of OS support, debatable in terms of hardware.

Going for a dual core phone would be logical choice if budget is not a constraint. Unfortunately not a lot of dual cores released here other than HTC Sensation, Samsung Galaxy S2, LG Optimus 2X. If you are wanting to buy Single core, then Nexus S should be the only choice. Compared to Desire S or Xperia Arc single core hardware, Nexus S outperforms them plus google updates. The good thing about android is you can always mod it and make it better. I have a Samsung Captivate running cyanogen 7 custom rom and overclocked to 1.4 ghz. It performs on par or better than my T-Mobile G2X. I am getting 2800+ quadrant score. Also Nexus S has same hardware as Samsung Galaxy S variant phones.

You can buy HTC Desire S S510e. The phone perfectly meets your requirement.

It has 3.7 inch touchscreen and 728MB RAM (Viola)....

Processor is 1GHz scorpion

Camera - 5MP with LED flash (good enough to click decent pics). The phone has secondary VGA cam too

OS - Gingerbread

Expansion capacity - 32GB and 8GB memory card comes with the package

Talktime - In 2G - approx 9 hours, 3G - 7 hours approx

For more info, check out this link HTC Desire S S510e | HTC Mobile Phones | Saholic.com

matrix0683 said:
I have been the earlier adopter of Android and am currently using Motorola Milestone. I bought it when it was first launched in India. However now I am looking for a change. My primary reasons for change are:

Thanks for all the assistance, I will visit the nearest Croma stores to try my hand on the Nexus S and Desire S, Galaxy SII and HTC Sensation have a 4.3 inch screen, and I dont find that comfortable. I wish we had options in dual core with a lesser screen size.

@mail2abhi81 - Price cut for Incredible S will not happen in the immediate future. That is the thing with HTC/Sony/Apple. Their products are good but often overpriced. I was baffled to see it selling for 26k when a better performing Google developer phone, Nexus S selling only for 19k. For gods sake, even the Spice Mi-410 is 50% cheaper (13k) than Incredible S with all similar features but lesser RAM. Look at Xperia Play costing nearly as Galaxy S2. Wondering how many people buy that. Sorry again for going Off Topic. Will Stop now :)

Go for the Nexus S. HTC Sensation or the sgs 2 since u dont hv any budget constraint the best one would be sgs 2 as it currently beats the hell out of all the android devices out in the market. Since u dont want a 4.3'' screen and want a 3.7 - 4.0'' screen go for the nexus S.

Back