Need to install SQL server 2000 in WIN 7 ULT

jinvidia

Adept
hello guys, i am desperately in need of help. Is there any workaround where i can install sql server 2000 developer in win 7 ultimate x86 ?. Or atleast i should be able to use the database created by sql 2000 under sql 2005 developer in compatibility mode.

Any help is much appreaciated...

Not sure, should be a matter of just updating the ODBC connections right ? don't think there would be an impact on the queries written. Maybe the experts who have worked on VB programs can pitch in
<

^^ Can you please be more particular about what DNS means ?. I dont have any idea about DB or programming APIs either. Thanx a lot in advance... If possible please do guide me step by step on how to proceed. The software can be executed directly without running setup. The only thing i have to do is, to install VB6, SQL Server 2000 and crystal reports. I hope even crystal reports wouldnt have any issues with SERVER 2008 R2, but i am unsure as to whether the Crystal reports app depends on VB6 or SQL or both...

I am told that the software will not work under SQL SERVER 2005 itself. In this case will it work under 2008 which is even more advanced ?

If you are moving upwards in the SQL version releasing it will work. I have migrated DBs from 2000 to 2005 and then to 2008 R2. They mounted fine. And the front end application, hook ins continued to work. It gets problematic if transfering a 2008 DB onto 2005 platform or lower.

When i was tring to install sql 2000 in windows 7 in 64bits , it didn't worked.

I simply downloaded the rc 2012 rc0 and started using it
<

though i am a student and only create very basic student needs tables
<

please if someone knows how to deal with, message me or tag me with the answer
<

sorry OP for hijacking your thread
<

^^ Can you please be more particular about what DNS means ?. I dont have any idea about DB or programming APIs either. Thanx a lot in advance... If possible please do guide me step by step on how to proceed. The software can be executed directly without running setup. The only thing i have to do is, to install VB6, SQL Server 2000 and crystal reports. I hope even crystal reports wouldnt have any issues with SERVER 2008 R2, but i am unsure as to whether the Crystal reports app depends on VB6 or SQL or both...

I am told that the software will not work under SQL SERVER 2005 itself. In this case will it work under 2008 which is even more advanced ?

Try downloading SQL 2008 R2 trial version (not express) and see if you can attach the database and the software is able to connect. If not you might have to edit the code. DSN is the connection to the database.

If you are moving upwards in the SQL version releasing it will work. I have migrated DBs from 2000 to 2005 and then to 2008 R2. They mounted fine. And the front end application, hook ins continued to work. It gets problematic if transfering a 2008 DB onto 2005 platform or lower.

Was it using DTS ? I had problems attaching a db from 2000 in 2005 a few years ago.

@OP, Even if you find a way to import DBs to any higher version of SQL server, the application might not work as there are quite a lot changed between SQL 2000 and 2005/2008. The SQL queries, stored procedures, views etc. may not be compatible with new version.

Which version of Crystal reports does the application use? Have you checked the compatibility of it with Win 7? Crystal reports is a separate application either provided by Microsoft/purchased separately. It does not have dependency on VB or SQL, but it has some compatibility issues also with Win 7.

I dont think there isnt any compatibility with crystal reports as i am able to install it successfully. But i am unsure whether it would run properly if the programmed application is executed in WIN 7.. Now i cant check it because i am not able to use SQL server 2005/8 with this old app...

Back