Need to upgrade PC for around 30K

zhopudey

Skilled
Q: What is your budget?

30-40K

Q: What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)

CPU - AMD X2 something

Motherboard - Asus M3A78-EM

GPU - onboard

RAM - GSkill 2x2gb ddr2 Pi Black

Monitor - Dell 19"

SMPS - Corsair VX450

Case - Antec SLB

Q: Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)

Monitor - Dell 19"

SMPS - Corsair VX450 - (hope this is enough)

Case - Antec SLB

Q: Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.

CPU - Intel i5 2500K

Motherboard - P67

RAM - 2x4Gb DDR3

GPU - Something around 6-8k?

Q: Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component

Final.

Q: Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)

Mumbai. - Open to online purchase

Q: Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market

No

Q: What is your intended use for this PC/hardware

1> 3D Rendering

2> Photo editing

3> Downloading and watching movies

Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.

Would like to to try asus m/b with uefi.

Q: If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?

No gaming at all.

Q: What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage

Desktop - 1440x900 for now. Will get a FHD 24" sometime later.

Q: Are you looking to overclock?

Yes. Is an better HSF required?

Q: Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?

Windows 7 64 bit

Intel Core i5 2500K ~ 11k

Asus P8Z68-V LE ~ 9.9k

Corsair CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 ~ 3.5k

Nvidia GTS450 GDDR5 ~ 6.4k or Nvidia GTX550 Ti GDDR5 ~ 8k

DarkAngel said:
Intel Core i5 2500K ~ 11k
Asus P8Z68-V LE ~ 9.9k
Corsair CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 ~ 3.5k
Nvidia GTS450 GDDR5 ~ 6.4k or Nvidia GTX550 Ti GDDR5 ~ 8k

Will this run off a VX450?
Do I need to get another HSF for a decent o/c?
How does this z68 board compare with other P67 boards in the same range?

I've done stable 4.5GHz on my 2500k with the stock cooler. The only issue has been that it is crazy loud.
Your VX450 should be sufficient for a config such as this.

@DA, wouldn't a P67 board be cheaper and equivalent as far as OCing goes?

The anandtech review says that 5770 is almost as fast as the GTX550 and much cheaper, while the 6770 is much better and only slightly more expensive. Do I need cuda? Haven't read up about it much. I certainly don't need it with 3ds max.
Also, can the SLB fit an atx board comfortably? Or should I look at m-atx boards?

Actually HD6770 is a rebranded HD5770... The only advantage HD6770 has is that it has an extra port apart from that nothing...

CUDA and i guess it also has better driver support for professional software's. For gaming a similar priced HD6790 is any day a better buy.

Recommended Z68 for the extra goodies it bring. Check the link. But if you feel you don't need it P67 also will do fine.

If m-ATX then decent options are Asus P8P67-M Pro ~ 8k and Asus P8Z68-M PRO Pro ~ 8.9k

Buy Asus Pro Revision in India

Buy Asus P8Z68-M PRO Z68 Motherboard in Mumbai India

P.S: Dont go by Prime's inline prices as they rarely update them. Prices have increased by ~8%-10% due to rupee depreciation against $

Ok, would I need the digi+vrm available in the more expensive models? That is the only thing missing in the p8z68-v le. Ohh and they all have left out the pata port. :( Will need a new dvd-rw as well.

I have more or settled on this -
i5 2500k
Corsair CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9
Asus P8Z68-V (or LE)
Sapphire 6850

Which 1tb hdd to get? I have no idea about the current warranty status.

zhopudey said:
The anandtech review says that 5770 is almost as fast as the GTX550 and much cheaper, while the 6770 is much better and only slightly more expensive. Do I need cuda? Haven't read up about it much. I certainly don't need it with 3ds max.
Also, can the SLB fit an atx board comfortably? Or should I look at m-atx boards?
For 3D rendering, go with an Nvidia card. You can utilise CUDA to speed things up through several applications (iRay, octane render, Arion) based on CUDA only renderer's.

zhopudey said:
Ok, would I need the digi+vrm available in the more expensive models? That is the only thing missing in the p8z68-v le. Ohh and they all have left out the pata port. :( Will need a new dvd-rw as well.

I have more or settled on this -

i5 2500k

Corsair CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9

Asus P8Z68-V (or LE)

Sapphire 6850

Which 1tb hdd to get? I have no idea about the current warranty status.
DarkAngel said:
Currently Seagate is better than WD. You can get a Seagate 7200.12 1TB for ~2.9k.

I would rather get a WD. Seagate has reduced their warranty to 2 years.

Back