Need UPS

Hi,

I am planning for an UPS for my PC with the following configuration:

* Core 2 Quad 9550
* Gigabyte P45 board
* 1.5 TB storage
* Dell S2409 Display
* Housed in a Antec 900 cabby with a Corsair TX750 SMPS.

I am looking APC as the preferred brand. Thanks for all your help.

depends on the backup time u require.
a good model to start with is the SUA750I,atlhough it can't handle a full 750watts of load,ur configuration won't consume more then 270watts.

adder said:
depends on the backup time u require.
a good model to start with is the SUA750I,atlhough it can't handle a full 750watts of load,ur configuration won't consume more then 270watts.

750 va doesn't handle 750watts..it can handle only up to 480 watts...u have to consider the power factor of ups

luster said:
750 va doesn't handle 750watts..it can handle only up to 480 watts...u have to consider the power factor of ups

well i believe u didn't read my post throughly.thats what i said in my post it can't handle 750watts but is sufficient for is PC configuration.

u must know that just because its a 750watts smps it doesn't consume 750watts ,unless the components demand them.

adder said:
well i believe u didn't read my post throughly.thats what i said in my post it can't handle 750watts but is sufficient for is PC configuration.

sorry missed the not part...

adder said:
u must know that just because its a 750watts smps it doesn't consume 750watts ,unless the components demand them.

thanks for the info :)

Hi adder & luster,

Thanks for the response...The issue that I was facing is that I was using a Microtek 800VA UPS (Line Interactive UPS) in the past and faced some issues. Basically the UPS would keep shuttling between normal and backup continuously and in case of power failure the UPS would not provide any backup. I was told in the past that we need to use a pure sine wave UPS as the existing one is not "compatible" with my SMPS. Any thoughts?

krishna_chennai said:
Hi adder & luster,

Thanks for the response...The issue that I was facing is that I was using a Microtek 800VA UPS (Line Interactive UPS) in the past and faced some issues. Basically the UPS would keep shuttling between normal and backup continuously and in case of power failure the UPS would not provide any backup. I was told in the past that we need to use a pure sine wave UPS as the existing one is not "compatible" with my SMPS. Any thoughts?

well it appears that ur UPS doesn't do voltage regulation or has limited capabilities ,hence it goes to back up mode frequently or the voltage fluctuation is a lot.
well as far as the no backup it appears the UPS has a crappy battery,or is not being charged sufficiently,to be honest i have seen plenty of microtek,wipro ups doing the same,even when they are less then a year old.

a sinewave UPS is always recommended,not sure of the exact issues with the corsair smps.
do note every ups will output sinewave if its running via mains,only if it goes to backup mode only then will cheaper UPS output square wave or approximated to sinewave.
in the apc the SUA series of smart UPS output sinewave,as said earlier the SUA750I should do the job,but if u want to utilize the full power of ur corsair TX750 then u will have to go in for the SUA1500I.which can handle a load of 900+watts.

Thanks a lot Adder...That's quite a good response for my query. On further research, I learnt that Corsair SMPS uses Active PFCs which require a Pure Sine Wave output for proper functioning during an outage. Anyways, I am planning to ask for a demo (if possible) and then buy one :)

Just get a APC sine or non sinewave, it will work. Atleast it did for me and the Microtek didn't :)

The more you look for terminology, the more money you will end up spending for nothing extra ;)

Back