Budget 20-25K New Android phone - Multimedia, game, custom ROM

nimitbhardwaj

Disciple
Hi. I've been using a Moto Defy for a couple of years. Feeling the Defy is becoming a bit old and college coming up soon, thinking of buying a new phone.

Questions:-
1. Budget?
A: 25k (MAX)
2. Preferred Form Factor(flip, bar, slider)?
A: Bar
3. Preferred display type?
A: AMOLED or S-AMOLED
4. Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them.
A: I hate Blackberry , any other brand is okay.
5. Preferred input method (Touchscreen, QWERTY, etc.)?
A: Touchscreen
6. Camera required or not? If required, please specify type like front camera/flash/etc.
A: 8MP atleast.
7. Preferred operating system? (Android, Symbian, iOS, Windows Phone etc).
A: Android.
8. What is your intended use for this phone(internet, camera, multimedia, mails, etc)?
A: Camera, Multimedia, Internet, mails, custom roms, Gaming.
9. Any other requirements?
A: Dual Sim would be a bonus.

@vyral_143 loves the nexus 4 :) :) If i were a senior person in Google and someone showed this much of love I would gift him/her a phone!!!! :) :)
@nimitbhardwaj http://www.flipkart.com/panasonic-p...Y2WB&ref=471cc1af-9463-4300-9161-8612ab6457e4
is what you should be looking at if dual-sim is what you want with the latest android flavor! Or if you want another dual sim in this range you can get the Galaxy Grand Duos for about 18k.
Your other single sim options are Xperia SP (has expandable memory and the Adreno 320 GPU ), HTC One X(Superb display and finish with a really great camera but no expandable memory) , Nexus 4( cause it's a Nexus device) and if you are open to getting a windows phone you have the Lumia 820 and the Lumia 720 to choose from.
If it is an option at all then extend your budget by 2.5k and get the Galaxy S3.

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
^^ Good one :D

Nexus 4 as its a Nexus device. Great raw power and custom ROM support + future proof in updates. All check boxes are ticked and since Dual SIM was considered only a bonus, I skipped this feature.

Honestly, after using a nexus i dont think i will ever buy anything else.Just because of the freedom i get.In that range you have sony phones which have a crappy display,S4 which can be considered and HTC ONE.I really hate touchwiz so S4 is out.Though some people like the extra features.
There is a video on youtube comparing S4 and custom nexus 4.Nexus 4 beats S4.HTC ONE is definitely better than N4 in most areas.(except updates and custom roms).But i am not sure if the price difference is justifiable.
If i were you,i would wait 3-4 months and get the new Nexus.

P.S.-I am definitely a bit biased towards my beloved Nexus 4. :D

Honestly, after using a nexus i dont think i will ever buy anything else.Just because of the freedom i get.
can you expand on that some more. Yes lots of kernels & UIs to play with. You have a storage issue so you need to squeeze out as much space as possible. How much usable you get out of 16GB after you use the custom ROMS.

What compelling features do those custom ROMS offer over other stock firmwares ?

If i were you,i would wait 3-4 months and get the new Nexus.
Yes, but question is whether next nexus will launch here on time or be 8 months delayed like the nexus 4 ? People prefer local warranty to no warranty.

And in which time nexus 4 stocks start to diminish and you cannot get one any more.

The argument to go for nexus 4 is there is lots of stuff out there to play with it TODAY as opposed to waiting for that stuff to appear with the next model. Which will just be incremental specs wise.

How you deal with the looks of the nexus 4, any attractive cases. Because looking at it compared with others and nexus 4 looks quite ordinary.

can you expand on that some more. Yes lots of kernels & UIs to play with. You have a storage issue so you need to squeeze out as much space as possible. How much usable you get out of 16GB after you use the custom ROMS.

What compelling features do those custom ROMS offer over other stock firmwares ?

Yes, but question is whether next nexus will launch here on time or be 8 months delayed like the nexus 4 ? People prefer local warranty to no warranty.

And in which time nexus 4 stocks start to diminish and you cannot get one any more.

The argument to go for nexus 4 is there is lots of stuff out there to play with it TODAY as opposed to waiting for that stuff to appear with the next model. Which will just be incremental specs wise.

How you deal with the looks of the nexus 4, any attractive cases. Because looking at it compared with others and nexus 4 looks quite ordinary.

Usable space is around 12-13 GB.For me it isnt an issue.I am not a camera freak.Dont click much pics.I use a music player separately so that space is saved.1-2 HD games occupy around 4 GB .Some other small apps.After 5 months of usage,still i have 5-6 GB free.

Custom roms and kernels are much faster than stock ones.And offer loads of customization options.Check this video.Skip to 4:00 mark.

I currently use Paranoid android rom which has awesome feaures like PIE controls and Halo.

I meant getting the new nexus through ppobox or something.It will launch with 5.0 and rumoured Snapdragon 800 processor.I think its worth the wait.
Looks are subjective.Personally i believe N4 is one of the best looking droids out there.Its a shame i have to use a case for protection purposes.

I have to buy a new phone in a week or so, so I won't wait for the new Nexus. Nexus 4 does look convincing, and the best thing I like is the VFM, my last phone, Defy was also the beast at that time in 15k range and was worth the 15k.

Usable space is around 12-13 GB.For me it isnt an issue.
Next question is how much free RAM do you have out of 2GB.

Say you kill all running programs, how much does the OS itself take up ?

Mention space occupied and OS version.

Custom roms and kernels are much faster than stock ones.And offer loads of customization options.Check this video.Skip to 4:00 mark.
Will go over oode's channel, very good explanations.

I meant getting the new nexus through ppobox or something.It will launch with 5.0 and rumoured Snapdragon 800 processor.I think its worth the wait.
Definitely worth a wait if you're sure of getting the device hassle free.

Wasn't there a thread here earlier about PPobox fraud ?

Next question is how much free RAM do you have out of 2GB.

Say you kill all running programs, how much does the OS itself take up ?

Mention space occupied and OS version.

Will go over oode's channel, very good explanations.

Definitely worth a wait if you're sure of getting the device hassle free.

Wasn't there a thread here earlier about PPobox fraud ?

Free RAM is around 1.4GB i think.OS is 4.2.2...I prefer ishopinternational for safety purposes and to avoid hassle.

Back