New Graphic Card for 5 Yr Old Pc

Viz

Disciple
Namaste,
I have a 5 year old Dell precision T1650, which was having a Firepro Graphics v4900, recently we are facing frequent restarts on that PC, on diagnosis found that the graphic card is not functioning, can you please suggest a graphic card that runs with our CAD program that uses Open GL engine. Please let me know if you need any further details and I will get back to you, thank you for your time.
-Sri

Not sure how to get those details out of Dell PC, attached is the sheet I got from dell website with the service tag, can't find anything specific to motherboard. I use ArchiCAD 23, it runs on OpenGL engine.

Thank you very much for your time.

Attachments

• GZB7WS1.pdf
    77 KB · Views: 1,150
The card you have draws 75W which means the OEM PSU most probably won't have a 6/8 pin connector which limits us to GPUs with power draw of 75W only.
I looked up the performance statistics for ArchiCAD and this is what I found.

The higher the FPS the better.

Based on that I would suggest either the P1000 or P2000.

I avoided FirePro as AMD OpenGL support is worse than nVidia and AMD pro cards with Amazon Prime don't seem to be available on Amazon at least.

P.S. I use my GPUs exclusively for gaming and I would do a bit more research on Google before jumping the gun for a Pro card.

The card you have draws 75W which means the OEM PSU most probably won't have a 6/8 pin connector which limits us to GPUs with power draw of 75W only.
I looked up the performance statistics for ArchiCAD and this is what I found.

The higher the FPS the better.

Based on that I would suggest either the P1000 or P2000.

I avoided FirePro as AMD OpenGL support is worse than nVidia and AMD pro cards with Amazon Prime don't seem to be available on Amazon at least.

P.S. I use my GPUs exclusively for gaming and I would do a bit more research on Google before jumping the gun for a Pro card.

Thank you for your time, I am fine with any gaming card as well don’t have to be a professional card, anything that you can recommend? Thank you again

Quadro P1000 or P2000 should be good enough for your needs. Anything more is overkill.

Hi,
I mean a 2GB gaming graphic card, not sure if it’s worth to go for a 28K professional graphic card, can you let me know if the Zotac card I posted earlier is fine to go with or anything that you can suggest.
Thank you for your time.

Hi,
I mean a 2GB gaming graphic card, not sure if it’s worth to go for a 28K professional graphic card, can you let me know if the Zotac card I posted earlier is fine to go with or anything that you can suggest.
Thank you for your time.
Pick up a GT 1030 in that case. Make sure it's the GDDR5 variant.

If I stretch my budget do you think this is a good buy

If I stretch my budget do you think this is a good buy

I have a zotac 1050 ti for sale for 5000 if you want. It will be significantly faster than a GT 1030.

I have a zotac 1050 ti for sale for 5000 if you want. It will be significantly faster than a GT 1030.
Either go with the 1050Ti as suggested here for cheap.

If you are going for a new card I would suggest looking at the GTX 1650 which is a generation ahead of the 1050Ti and therefore much more powerful.

Also don't use Amazon as mdcomputers/vedant/primeabgb have cheaper deals and are trustworthy.

Out of these I would pick the MSI GTX 1650 Ventus over the Zotac one as it has two fans and in my experience with the GPUS I have had (Zotac >Zotac>MSI>Gigabyte>Gigabyte) the Zotac ones run louder and are a bit hotter.

Its a dell T1650 PC, so all they mentioned is "Precision T1650 Standard Power Supply"

Like I said in a previous post your existing card is 75W TDP so the chances of Dell putting in a PSU with a 6 pin in an OEM PC are slim.

Some 1650s need a 6 pin (especially higher clocked versions) but lower end ones don't need one. Pick one based on your budget and check on the manufacturer website for that specific model to see if it needs a 6 pin e.g. this one has a limit of 75W which is the power supplied by the PCIE slot alone.

Now take a look at the specs from MSI website and you'll see that the power consumption is listed at 75W which is your upper limit.

1577449507623.png

Post automatically merged:

You need to buy a new PSU buddy. These AIOs PSUs come with what is needed. That's all.
The OP is not much of a gamer but needs the GPU for work stuff.

No need for pushing our PC master race agenda on him buddy. :p
The upgrade fever is a slippery slope for us addicts.
Post automatically merged:

One other thing. I just remembered nVidia has 2 driver types for the gaming cards now-Studio and Game Ready.

Based on your requirement common sense dictates that you should use Studio Drivers over the Game Ready ones but that might be a trial and error experiment for you based on ArchiCAD performance.

1577450003747.png

Last edited:
Back