Monitors New monitor and TV Tuner

pvsabnis

Disciple
Hi Guys,
I was planning to buy a LED TV for myself. I'm a bachelor living in Pune. But now I'm on budget and don't want to buy another unit apart from my PC as I have to shift lot of times. So decided to buy a TV Tuner card along with good monitor. Please tell me that whether I should buy a internal TV tuner or external one?? Also I have shortlisted 2 monitors:

1. Dell S series S2340L 23 inch Monitor (IPS Panel, VGA and HDMI ports) (7ms response time with overdrive)
2. Dell UltraSharp U2312HM 23 inch Monitor (IPS Panel, DVI, VGA, Display and USB ports) (8ms response time)

Please suggest one of them. Also suggest me some good TV tuner cards. If I get external card, do I need to poweron my PC whenever I want to watch a TV? Also if I want to connect TATA Sky HD do I need a monitor with HDMI Port?

you dont need a tv tuner since your stb TataSkyHD has hdmi out. you can directly connect the hdmi output to hdmi of monitor and watch tv without powering on the pc. if you get the 2312hm, you will need to get a tv tuner since it does not have hdmi port. Since you want to connect tatasky hd, get the monitor with hdmi port. you can use dvi port for pc. this way you could switch between tv and pc from menu if required.
you will have to get 2 rca male to 3.5mm female cable for sound.

Only AOC i2353ph and AOC i2757fh have 2 hdmi ports. i use the 2353ph with tatasky hd. A TE member @tvarad, bought the 27inch version for 18.5k link. both models are ips led with lg panels.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool....thanks for the info. What do you do with sound department?? How do you attach your speakers??

i use 2 male rca to 3.5mm female stereo cable to hear sound through headphones or through my Altec Lansing 2.1 speakers.
@haiprazzad, the sony model is a tn panel. its not IPS. All low end Samsung, LG, Sony models coming out now are TN panels.

yes i think @eternoMind is using it. you wont find it for less than 20k now if its available. last time i checked months back it was not available anywhere for less than 19.5k.

Thanks 6 packs for the help.....:) Also I'm considering this monitor as well
Asus PA238Q
Please tell me whether somebody is using it.

yes i think eternoMind is using it. you wont find it for less than 20k now if its available. last time i checked months back it was not available anywhere for less than 19.5k.

Am using it alright :).

PrimeABGB has the monitor for 18.2K. Seems to be a good deal considering the level prices where hovering around a few months ago.

Got myself a Dell S2240L for 8.9K two weeks back. Unless you need the extra 1.5", would suggest to look at the S2240L also. Similar looking.

VGA and HDMI in and audio 2 ch out for HDMI. No option for soundbars. Had a single deal pixel, but its no longer there (after running the LCD conditioning inbuilt feature)

Hi.....I came across this monitor:
Dell S2740L
It's 27" monitor with full HD resolution (
1920 x 1080). Is it good to use as a normal PC if I sit 3-4 feet away from it...or will it give me eye strain?? Also it's a reflective screen.

Ok...is it possible to convert some ports into HDMI using converter in this monitor: Dell UltraSharp U2312HM

That monitor has only one DVI port. You can use an HDMI converter to view content from HDM-out devices on the monitor. But there will be no sound of course. You'll need to use the method 6pack has mentioned above to get the sound working.

- - - Updated - - -

Dell S2240L is a really good option considering the IPS panel it uses, its price and an HDMI input. Why aren't you considering that?

I need to connect my PC as well as TV on that...so I need two ports.....either 1 HDMI+1 DVI or 2 HDMIs.

Tell me one thing....if I buy Dell UltraSharp U2312HM with AX 510 Soundbar and display port to HDMI converter. will it be able to work with Tata sky with sound...??

Back