New phone for about 14k

I am looking to buy a new mobile phone.

My primary requirements are as follows -

1. An excellent music phone. The sound quality has to be really good and the volume has to be loud. Because of this I have still not parted with my 3 year old N91 and "Hacked" W950i which both btw sound better than my iPod 80gb.

2. Reasonably Good camera. Autofocus is an absolute necessity. It doesn't matter if the phone is 3mp or 5 mp or even 2mp.

3. Well built and Sturdy. My last 2 phones have lasted me around 3 years .....now that my W950i's screen is going dead and I finf N91 tooo bulky I need a new cellphone. Of course id like my new phone to last me at least 2 years.

Though my budget is about Rs. 14000/- I would not mind a slightly older phone which comes cheaper and fulfills all my needs, provided it is still available.

I don;t think u'll ever find a phone that beats n91 's audio quality. Thats the only phone (i know of) has a dedicated audio chip. Unless nokia comes with a v2 of n91...

E71 price has dropped recently, Its DP (dealer price) is around 14 something.

A friend just bought it a week back for 15100 in delhi

+1 for "Hacked" Nokia 5800 XM....
Not much of music lover but ... phone is loud and rude at max vol...
bulky then samsung or iphone but then they donot come in 14K .....
after installing office and adobe reader and host of games and apps, themes and wallpapers ..... i am thinking its the best phone i had used till now... got it from ebay for 13.9 + trek 60Gb.... good thing that i broke my "Not over 10K" rule for this...

what i liked most about it is big screen and wifi connectivity... sometimes i even download torrents on this thing... nowadays do not have to even open laptop that much... all mails , itsy bitsy surfing and download i do on this device... i have installed all of the business apps on this... so i guess my decision to go for 5800 and not E78 was not bad afterall...

E71 doesn't have 3.5mm jack....so guess that's not an ideal music phone recommendation, also the camera is just about average....why are you guys recommending it??? brought the phone this diwali for my FIL, costed 17.2k in maharashtra(ya tax!!!!)!!!

well if ur budget is 14k then better buy nokia 5800 exp music or samsung star 3g.

if u want good music quality then i suggest that 5800 would be the best for u.

First of all thanks for all the replies.

pa1pa1 said:
I dont think u'll ever find a phone that beats n91 's audio quality.

Actually I did and I have that phone. I hacked my W950i and put a certain "sound mod" into it and it is as loud and clear as my N91. I believe there are similar mods for other Sony Ericsson phones as well but they dont work with newer ones like Yari. But again as I said before I dont mind an older phone which fulfills my needs at a lower price.

SauravR said:
+1 for "Hacked" Nokia 5800 XM....

Not much of music lover but ... phone is loud and rude at max vol...

Quite a few people favor the 5800XM...I like it too but I am skeptical about its build quality. Someone who has owned this phone for around a year is best qualified to comment on its longevity. Are there any creaks and rattles as this phone gets old. Ive heard that it feels like a toy in the hand....I personally dont mind that as long as the "toy"doesnt come apart.

Anubis said:
N 79 - 15k ( 5mp camera )

Dinesh_Malhotra said:
go for the n82 if u can find one...

i remember seeing one @ heera panna for 13.6k all inc

warm regards

As far as the music goes how are both the phones compared to 5800XM.

my father has a N95 and it has a very pedestrian music experience...if they are anything like N95 then i would like to give them a miss. Also talking about E71....firstly it is somewhat out of my budget and it has a camera that seems even bellow K750i to me. The only thing that stands out is the built quality and nothing else.

Kindly let me know your opinion guys.

Zero Cool said:
First of all thanks for all the replies.

Actually I did and I have that phone. I hacked my W950i and put a certain "sound mod" into it and it is as loud and clear as my N91. I believe there are similar mods for other Sony Ericsson phones as well but they dont work with newer ones like Yari. But again as I said before I dont mind an older phone which fulfills my needs at a lower price.

Quite a few people favor the 5800XM...I like it too but I am skeptical about its build quality. Someone who has owned this phone for around a year is best qualified to comment on its longevity. Are there any creaks and rattles as this phone gets old. Ive heard that it feels like a toy in the hand....I personally dont mind that as long as the "toy"doesnt come apart.

As far as the music goes how are both the phones compared to 5800XM.
my father has a N95 and it has a very pedestrian music experience...if they are anything like N95 then i would like to give them a miss. Also talking about E71....firstly it is somewhat out of my budget and it has a camera that seems even bellow K750i to me. The only thing that stands out is the built quality and nothing else.

Kindly let me know your opinion guys.

Well my dad has used it over 8 months now and no , there aren't any creaks and rattles as this phone gets old.

Thank you brothers...got myself a black and grey 5800XM today for 13.6k , it came with 8 gb memory card and sennheiser headmax pmx60 headphones.

SauravR said:
after installing office and adobe reader and host of games and apps, themes and wallpapers .....

... sometimes i even download torrents on this thing...

... i have installed all of the business apps on this...

Games n apps like? how do u download torrents on it? what business apps?

I'm considering buying 5800 but i'm skeptical about using games n apps on it without any buttons. Can u run games n apps like the ones u get on getjar.com or some symbian sites on it?

MenTaLLyMenTaL said:
Games n apps like? how do u download torrents on it? what business apps?

I'm considering buying 5800 but i'm skeptical about using games n apps on it without any buttons. Can u run games n apps like the ones u get on getjar.com or some symbian sites on it?

Ok!
Games 1) tic-tac-toe, Assains creed, Need for Speed, Gforce ,Connect4.sisx ,Far Cry 2.jar, FB Twisted v0.2.sisx, FerrariGT.jar, Hexxagon Labs.SIS, Jueguitos.sis, Midnight Bowling 2.jar, Moto Racing.jar, NFL 2010.jar, Nitro Street Racing 2.jar, PES 09.jar, Shake Shake Game.sis, Sudoku Master.sis, Texas Hold Em.jar, TopGear 5800.jar, Wheres Wally.jar, Wimbledon 2009.jar , WSC 2009 3D.jar these are the list of games i installed and uninstalled.... not too much in games too like puzzles and memory based games,

2)Applications- Business-- Quick office Premier 6 with office 2007 support, Adobe Le 2.5, notepad plus, some advanced calculator, handwriting notes, handwriting calculator, portfolio managment apps,money managment, house hold expense planning and other stuffs there are so many...

3) Email -- Nokia messaging itself is good enough to connect to pop3 and imap services... it supports secure connection to IBM domino server and of course Gmail ... cannot live without Gmail. But has inbuilt support for exchange if your email id is on MS exchnage server...

4) Music: not much of a music lover have a collection of about 100 songs old hindi, speedy english, classic jazz, gazals which i keep on listening all the times new songs do not make to the list... installed folderplay to get support of running all files of folder and struggling with music playlist was beyond my patience...

5) Internet: with wifi connectivity... and True unlimited internet @ 4Mbps/2Mbps , man this phone is a treat, all the messengers, nimbuzz etc... donot chat much but a lot of widgets to download and install for free, reading daily dilbert strip is one thing i do religiously...
You can install opera but i prefer nokia own web browser... Touch is something you will love, so convinent , i was never a fan of mobile devices as i grow impatient with all the hoops (read lengthy navigation) but touch is so convinent just touch to go...
Symtorrent is what i use for downloading torrents... stable, fast and accurate
Eset Antivirus symbian beta for antivirus support...
Dr jukka's Ybrowser will all plugins to browse the memory... FreeUnRAR for rar support, zip support though ybrowser plugin..
Device info to get info of your device...
Ovimaps and nokiamaps and google maps for navigation and GPS...
Nokia offers a host of downloads including soduku and few puzzule games...
you can always test apps of nokia beta labs too.. have few of them installed donot remember which ones...

YOUTUBE... is all time favourite... both apps and thorough broswer, you will never have enough time to kill...

There are several more things... like if you are getting a call no need to silence it just turn the phone upside down, call gets silenced... through something called accelerometer function... shake the phone when you recieve sms, sms will open.. playing racing car games are fun turn the phone and car will turn with it too... there were several things i installed and then uninstalled, host of killer looking wallpapers by 5800tube and themes by pizero...

I hacked the phone on day one, do not care much about warranty and stuff... you can always unhack it... use HelloOX2, installs something calls rom patcher, whenever you need to install unsigned apps just start rom patcher and minimize by holding down menu button... Some application will not work using the rom patcher ... then they will need to be signed so get a certificate and key pair from s60cert and download signsis app for PC from their forums..

Be smart not to keep you bluetooth shown to all and accept any message as after hacking you will be vunerable to virus keep antivirus handy and donot install every junk you can lay your hands on.. first read reviews and find some legitimate source... ipmartforums is a place to start or ask gurus at TE.. for free apps like ybowser, symtorrents and all do not download via rapidshare instead go to devlopers website and your experience with 5800 will be a treat... i have no doubt about it... simply options are so many

Back