Budget 10-15K New phone for wife EDIT: Bought Galaxy S Core

naru80

Disciple
1. Budget?
A: 10-13k

2. Preferred Form Factor(flip, bar, slider)?
A: Bar

3. Preferred display type?
A: TFT

4. Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them.
A: would prefer Samsung

5. Preferred input method (Touchscreen, QWERTY, etc.)?
A: Touchscreen

6. Camera required or not? If required, please specify type like front camera/flash/etc.
A: Required a 5MP camera. Flash.

7. Preferred operating system? (Android, Symbian, iOS, Windows Phone etc).
A: Android

8. Preferred connectivity options? (3G, Wifi, Edge etc).
A: 3G.

9. What is your intended use for this phone(internet, camera, multimedia, mails, etc)?
A : calls, what'sapp, wifi tethering, Internet, mails

10. Any other requirements?
A: Don't require dual sim
Good battery life is the key requirement
Wifi tethering is a must
Display quality matters more than size

11. If you have already considered a phone then please mention the model.
A: Samsung galaxy s advance/xolo 800/ micromax canvas plus/hd

I'm learning towards s advance. Is it a good choice? It's available for 12.5k online. Gingerbread installed but Jellybean update coming soon.

Or xolo (10k) and canvas hd (12.5) or canvas plus (11.5) a better buy?

Kindly note: my wife is using a bb and she wants to switch to an android. So Nokia is out of the question.

Please advice.

Go for the S advance because it is way better than the other options you considered. Plus you have proper ASS from Samsung.
AMOLED on the S Advance is nice and coming from a BB i can definitely tell you that you will not be disappointed with S advance. I spent an hour or so playing with it at the local Samsung store and it did impress.
If screen quality matters the please o please stay away from the Canvas line up. A friend of mine has it and the highest brightness on the Canvas 2 is equivalent to the lowest brightness on my Xperia P! Also there is nothing to write home about with the Canvas line up. The S Advance will serve you well !

S Advance from the listed is most VFM at the moment. Try to avaoid Micromax Xolo due to their ASS. Also you can have a look on Sony Xperia L. In case you divert to WP8 then Lumia 620. Screen, performance and battery of Lumia will be better compared to droids but it will take hit in app department. Also note that all the droids mentioned might not be up to your expectations in battery life.

The intended purpose is more than met by Lumia 620. Go for it. It would perform much better than the Android counterparts in the same price range. Android phones in this price range tend to be more laggy.

Thanks guys

I saw s core. It's 2000 more than advance but doesn't seem to have any features to justify it.

Nokia and Sony are out. Personal preference.

Checked out canvas at a reliance store yesterday. Though it was on display,the salesmen were dead against micromax. I wonder why. Is it because they get a lesser commission on it?

canvas and xolo offer quad core for the price of a dual core Samsung. That's very tempting.

Have to decide by weekend. My only apprehension with s advance is that it's more than a year old model. Does that matter?

Dont buy s adance.extend your budget a little and buy galaxy grand duos.It is a much better and newer phone.

Considered and rejected. It has features I don't care about. Dual sim, large screen.
Missing goodies I would want. Super amoled screen. Gorilla glass.

Both are dual core a9 processors

I'm all but set on s advance. Only apprehension is am I making a mistake going for a year old model when mobile technology gets outdated every few months?

Considered and rejected. It has features I don't care about. Dual sim, large screen.
Missing goodies I would want. Super amoled screen. Gorilla glass.

Both are dual core a9 processors

I'm all but set on s advance. Only apprehension is am I making a mistake going for a year old model when mobile technology gets outdated every few months?

depends on how many years you plan to use the phone and if u play games or not.u can easily run most apps for 3-4 years(depending it supports your android version).but newer hd games will start lagging after a year or two.what is more important is the samsung support and android udates you will get.it is more wise to get the latest phone available since 1 year old phone means 1 year less of samsung support and android updates

My only apprehension with s advance is that it's more than a year old model. Does that matter?

As long as your intended use with device does not change it should not matter. However in general, S Advance is going to stay at 4.1.2 only. Now features/functions offered in that firmware will not change/upgrade much in due time. Regarding updates scenario, all flagships models from manufacturers apart from Google and Google phones (Nexus series) *get* mostly 2 iterations of Android OS update. However other phones are at wish of manufacture weather it will be updated or not.

Thanks everyone for the advice. Finally bought S Advance for 11.7k

I am also looking to buy one for my wife....I am looking for a phone which should have good build quality, good battery backup and should be stable as she is completely dependent on phone for her work. She has been using a blackberry curve so far which is quite bland. She is not crazy for camera or apps. I also have similar budget of 10-13K. Option we have considered so far is Nokia 620. Please throw in your suggestions. Also advise how Lumia 620 fits in my requirement.

Go for the S advance because it is way better than the other options you considered. Plus you have proper ASS from Samsung.
AMOLED on the S Advance is nice and coming from a BB i can definitely tell you that you will not be disappointed with S advance. I spent an hour or so playing with it at the local Samsung store and it did impress.
It looks good on paper, but watching ranjits channel he said people complained about lagging with S advance.

Insted he was advising the core is better but its no way as good in specs and more expensive.

It looks good on paper, but watching ranjits channel he said people complained about lagging with S advance.

Insted he was advising the core is better but its no way as good in specs and more expensive.

Umm first of all the Ranjit guy on youtube gives very biased reviews. I used to watch his reviews but they are utter crap and biased! So dont go for what he says! Go to a samsung store or ask if any of your friends has that model and toy around with it a bit! The S Advance is very popular in India and i havent heard too many complaints about it! Yes there was a network issue before but that has been fixed! So dont go by what reviews say! I listen to a lot of reviews and frankly speaking i just watch them to see the new features that the phones have to offer! If i like a phone i go to my local store and the owner is kind enough to let me toy with it if he has a working model.

Cheers!

Umm first of all the Ranjit guy on youtube gives very biased reviews. I used to watch his reviews but they are utter crap and biased! So dont go for what he says!
What ? biased in what way ? crap in what way ?

I've watched a lot of his reviews and when it comes to bias this guy is a lot better than most. Simply because he tells you the good & the bad. He's critical. His in-depth reviews are very good. Many others just stick to unboxing and are done in 5 minutes and then move to something else. Any idiot can do an unboxing video.

Most times (ie THIS PLACE) you only hear the good and then what did you really get, a sales promotion isn't it. Like an infomercial. I've never got that from Ranjit so far. He does not like to review chinese rebranded models much and prefers branded. If you want to charge him with bias then this is what you can say.

Second, he never reviewed the s-advance. It was a comment he made in passing with some others when discussing tech in general. I don't know why, maybe at the time he could not source it. In fact when he said laggy i thought he meant UI response but now you clarified it had a network issue.

Third, i've found his explanations to be very helpful when you have no clue about the tech involved. And this guy is a geek through and through.

So now let me ask you to be critical. Anything else ? How is the rooting scene like and what 3rd party firmwares are available for this model. Have you tried it and would you recommend using anything other than stock.

Go to a samsung store or ask if any of your friends has that model and toy around with it a bit!

The S Advance is very popular in India and i havent heard too many complaints about it! Yes there was a network issue before but that has been fixed! So dont go by what reviews say! I listen to a lot of reviews and frankly speaking i just watch them to see the new features that the phones have to offer! If i like a phone i go to my local store and the owner is kind enough to let me toy with it if he has a working model.

Cheers!
Too late, nobody has it as demo models, but its still selling in sealed boxes :(

Chroma & reliance were out telling me its outdated. 4.1.2 is prolly the best it will ever get, may not be a problem if the firmware scene is active.

When i spoke to a friend who has an xperia Z he told me the cheaper Samsung models are not that good, there are so many of them that its actually very difficult to tell them apart unless you've had experience.

Maybe S Advance is the exception here. Every quarter samsung floods the market with yet another ten new models, stripped out more expensive ones than their predecessors.

Core vs S Advance is a case in point.

Back