New Phone, S3 or GNexus?

SunnyBoi

Branch Manager
Staff member
Patron
So the trackball on my Nexus One kinda died (up and down do not work. I can boot into recovery but do nothing :mad: )

Thinking of getting a new phone.

From where I stay, galaxy nexus will cost me ~25K and Galaxy S3 will cost me ~39K. Looking to buy a long term phone, my current Nexus One has been with me since 11 Jan 2010!

S3 pros

Its newer!
4 cores!

S3 cons

costlier
samsung crap ( sorta forced me to sell my S2 )
there is the dual-core A15 and 2GB USA version. Which one to get?

GNexus pros

cheaper!
instant jellybean! yay!
Google phone so no samsung crap.

GNexus cons:

longetivity? will it last as long as my Nexus One did?
wont get any warranty since i have to buy the ones shipped from USA

Please help!

From where I stay, galaxy nexus will cost me ~25K and Galaxy S3 will cost me ~39K. Looking to buy a long term phone, my current Nexus One has been with me since 11 Jan 2010!
Thats a lot of difference in price! Surely a huge factor.

samsung crap ( sorta forced me to sell my S2 )
The Galaxy Nexus is also a Samsung made phone :p
If you are talking from the software point of view, you can change the ROM any time to a non-Samsung one even on Samsung phones, so not an issue here either

there is the dual-core A15 and 2GB USA version. Which one to get?
Dont worry, both are equally powerful and future proof :)
So its a personal preference, depending on which is easier to grab, costs lesser, importance given to warranty (only comes with S3 bought here, of course)

longetivity? will it last as long as my Nexus One did?

If you are talking about future-proofness, from the ROMs point of view, yes it should last easily for 2-2.5 years. From the hardware point of view, demanding games will have a problem running, say after a year or so.

So thats that. Hope that addresses your queries. Make an informed decision, primarily based on your needs and requirements (budget constraint, custom ROM usage/development, hardware futureproofness, battery life, camera etc.)
Oh and btw, the S3 should have a better battery life and camera.

I'm leaning towards the Galaxy Nexus right now, mainly because of the lower price, instant jellybean and the "Google Phone" tag. Will check out the S3 again this weekend and see whats what.

I have a fellow who is an android developer and he's just bought a Galaxy Nexus. I've had a thorough look at the phone and kinda like it :D S3 however saw it and used it for a minute at a Samsung booth.

get g nexus for now. wouldnt that be good for 2 yrs. i dont think 14k extra for s3 worth it.

---------- Post added at 01:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:23 AM ----------

if u r a heavy user battery life is important. android is not famous for that.

Galaxy Nexus would be my choice. The price difference is too big and IMO, not worth spending that much on the SIII. Galaxy Nexus still has a fairly decent dual-core processor and a beautiful 720p display apart from it's biggest plus which is support from Google.

^^ No it doesn't sell... So no warranty...
BTW, people will handle devices carefully and modern electronics will not fail that easily in the 1yr time...

Also, my take is on the G NEX as well...
You get nearly everything from s3 except 2 cores (if US comparison.. nil), bigger screen, better camera etc...

I would vote for the Galaxy Nexus, Galaxy 3 is not worth the 39k, the huge base of developers developing Custom roms for it enough for me to consider, you are a nexus user I am surprised you are considering S3

Might delay buying plans for the new phone. My main issue was that wifi wouldn't work on ICS, but its working on the below OS :D

ErkG9.jpg

Back