Budget 0-20k New router PPPoE setting , ISD linked to MAC address

Skyh3ck

Adept
Hello

I was using TPLink WR841N router and my internet guy has set it up.

Now I have bought ne Tp Link Archer C6 router. I tried to change it with copying the setting from previous router,, however internet not connected.

Do this ISD bind MAC address to account .. because changing router means change in MAC address.

The guy who handles all this does not know how to setup new router seems he has goofed up..

How can I setup my new router and get internet. Do need to copy old router MAC. Will this work.

Please help

Some ISPs do bind PPPoE credentials with a MAC address and reset it if the connections becomes inactive for few days/weeks.

In your case, Assuming you are on the stock firmware on the C6, You should have a setting to copy MAC address. Enable that and set the MAC address of your last router. This _should_ work

Most probably at the ISP end, there is MAC binding done. Tell yiur ISP guy to configure new MAC or just reset MAC and first time when you connect with your new router, that router will be bound to your connection.

Once when I wanted to replace the ISPs router with mine, the ISP guy got his one router and called the office to reset Mac and connected his router and it worked and then when time came to connect my router, he again called the office to reset Mac so my new router starts working.

But why they do this, its nonsensical.. what is the purpose or idea behind it

because its waste of time for both the party ISP guy and customer..

Also can you guy tell me how can i Copy mac address, can i just enter the number or what, please help me

Also can you guy tell me how can i Copy mac address, can i just enter the number or what, please help me

I don't know the answer to your question of why they do MAC binding. May be someone else can answer. As far as cloning or changing MAC address on router, check the 2 screenshots from my 2 router. In one case, if I do MAC CLONE I can put any Mac address I want and in another router I have ability to "SET MAC ADDRESS".
IMG_0068.jpg

IMG_0069.png

really is that so easy, to hack into router, i mean just connecting to switch and done, wow..

anyway can i just type old router MAC in new router and use it
by building switch you mean, the internet hub kind of switch or the powerline
ok , so one interesting question

i am in india, and if in some other part of the world, someone get my router or pc mac address, just the mac address, can they hack into my system

second scnenrio on the same isp if somebody get my mac address, wil they be able to hack or get info on my system or something life that

I think you misunderstood. Not hacking into the router but to have internet access against your account.

People used to share the username and passwords for unlimited internet when there used to be on fixed bundles. That is when the ISP started MAC binds. They used to bind the MAC to the switch port you are connected to.

From what I know evn if someone knows your mac, they wont be able to "spoof" you unless they are part of the same network (ISP). Someone with security background can provide more info.

Last edited:

Initially, it was touted as a security precaution. The reality? Just a way to lock in the customer or equivalent. I have seen ISPs saying it will work only with their router BLAH etc

There will be a MAC clone function - will allow you to enter the details.

Back