New Sound card for Creative X-540!

pranut

Adept
i m gonna buy Creative X-540 speakers soon,

please suggest me a good sound card for the respective speakers, i am yet to plan a budget for it as I have no idea about sound cards!

I currently have this onboard sound in my Motherboard:

Sound/Audio
Integrated High Definition audio

* Realtek ALC 883 chipset
* Supports up to 8 audio channels
* Dolby Pro Logic II compatible

Dolby 5.1

Onboard audio or audio card

Built-in Azalia 8 channel audio
Realtek ALC882 or ALC883 8-channel High Definition Audio CODEC

Is it good enough for X-540 or do i need to upgrade ?

here is the link for my PC:

HP Pavilion Media Center m7362in Desktop PC Product Specifications HP Pavilion Media Center TV m7362in Desktop PC - HP Customer Care (India - English)

and here is the link for my motherboard:

Motherboard Specifications, RC410-M (Asterope) HP Pavilion Media Center TV m7362in Desktop PC - HP Customer Care (India - English)

THANKS!

Its a good quality integrated audio, but cant be compared to even a 1k sound card. Its somewhat enough for an X540, but it might sound better with a sound card. Look for atleast a Creative Audigy/Audigy 2 value for 1.5~1.6k. Nothing beats that in value, and gives pretty good performance.

Hi Pranut! Good to see you here. Better get a sound card only if you are not satisfied with X540 raw power.

BTW at what price are you getting X540?

hey akshay,

ya i became active here recently........me getting X-540 for Rs.5.3k

just wanted to know about a sound card, i have 2-3 PCI slots empty, thought of filling it up, my current mobo has 8-channel audio support, thats why i wanted to know whether i should get a new sound card.

@dOm1naTOr's

Any other suggestion for a sound card ? Are u sure i should buy a sound card ? i m ready to shell out 2k.

If you have 2k budget for a sound card, then its definitely worth, but only if you are keen on quality. The bass will be tighter, and mids and highs will be bit more detailed. And there will be lot of options for tweaking the sound.

There will be improvement in games as well.

What are the specs for "Creative X-540"? I think there is a possibility that the system you are asking the question about is Logitech X-540.

If not please post a link for the specs of the "Creative X-540"

I think for a X-540, a Audigy should suffice and it makes a lot of difference in the sound compared to general onboard. I have used a Audigy with my X-230 and it makes hell of a difference in sound quality.

Yup. An Audigy/2 value is more than enough for an X540. The next card that is worth is price is the Xonax DX, which costs close to the X540 itself, ie close to 5k. Think of it, only if you are serious about sound and have a really good speakers to pair with.

btw @ smaratha

its sure a type. He meant Logitech X-540 and creative dont have any X540.

AFAIK,

Assus Xonar DX can't be used by TS's Mobo, As it is PCI x1 connector which is not present in HP's given website link.

And 1 more thing there is a power connector (floppy drive) needed to power up the card, So make sure one is free in PSU unless Assus bundling it (converter type) in the box.

BTW Xonar DX is a great investment for beginner. :thumb:

dissel said:
AFAIK,

Assus Xonar DX can't be used by TS's Mobo, As it is PCI x1 connector which is not present in HP's given website link.

And 1 more thing there is a power connector (floppy drive) needed to power up the card, So make sure one is free in PSU unless Assus bundling it (converter type) in the box.

BTW Xonar DX is a great investment for beginner. :thumb:

Yes I dont have any PCIe slot empty only PCI, so i think my best bet will be to go with Creative......but which one Audigy Value or some other ?

Back