New underground fiber project for Pune residence bungalow society

vishalrao

Global Moral Police
Skilled
Hello,

My residential society in Pune, which is of independent bungalow plots, is embarking on a beautification and modernisation drive and part of it is to move the overhead electricity wires underground. The plan is to also provide some sort of ducting or other facility for internet providers to use to lay fiber optic cabling.

Does anyone have any suggestions or contact information for implementing this, either the with the major private ISPs like Airtel, Jio or Tata Sky , or with someone like a dark fiber provider so that in the future if an internet can just plug and play their connections without having to again dig up or pull overhead wires?

Any pointers?

Thanks.

I was in the similar scenario, I think only Airtel have laid their fiber backbone underground at least in my area and they too wait for MCD approval to dig which can delay it for years.

You can leave spare ducts in for future expansion - but it would be better to get the cabling by ISP done upfront or at least as soon as possible.
Reason I say this is because we had a similar situation when Airtel wanted to lay down fiber a few months ago in my soc (the layout is very similar to what you have )

The ducting is around 12-13 years old with existing conduits for power cabling, Phone and coax cable and one spare conduit for future expansion.
Guess what, most of the expansion conduit were already clogged due to years of mud & water ingress in the monsoons :arghh:

Eventually we had to resort to pipes running around the boundary walls - which is admirttedly a bit of an eyesore - but no one complains as we had suffered enough with local cable ISP - lol

As for generic fibre cabling upfront to each house from a central location, that is certainly a good idea.

The only caveat would be that unlike DSL or ethernet, ofc connections can be fussy and it is possible that Airtel (or Jio) installation team may refuse to use it claiming it isn't compatible/ per their specs or whatever so worth checking upfront with whichever ISP you are talking to if they will be ready to use existing OFC cabling

Also, you will need to plan it out well - in the sense you will need to decide on a central hub location , ensure that you have armored cables with a bunch of extra cores going to each distribution point (e.g. a 24 core armored cable to a spoke which will serve say 10 houses)
Again, the spoke will need to have a 2 or 4 core armored cable going to each house (at least 2 - for redundancy in case a fault develops).

Back