Budget 31-40k new workhorse PC - 35 to 40 K

drizo

Disciple
  1. Q: What is your budget?
    • 35K - 40 K
  2. Q: What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
    Building from scratch, no pre-existing hardware except hard disks and speakers. Donating existing computer to cousin :)
  3. Q: Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
    1 200 GB Hard drive, 1 250 GB hard drive, 1 320 GB hard drive. All Seagate SATA. Will get speakers from my music system too.
  4. Q: Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
    • CPU - Intel i3/i5 ?
    • Motherboard : Not sure
    • Graphics card : I think not needed, please suggest.
    • SSD : want to get , please suggest if it fits in budget
  5. Q: Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
    • I don't think I will upgrade for a while. Hard drive space : currently the existing drives are doing fine, but they will fill maybe in 5-6 months so want to plan for that too.
  6. Q: Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
    • Bangalore
    • Online is fine

7. Q: Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
    • No
  8. Q: What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
    • Browsing, basic programming, sometimes running a virtual machine, watching movies. I have lots of photos / family videos; I want to keep the data safe on my computer. Will run only 2-3 hours a day, so slight difference in power consumption should not matter much.
  9. Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
    • No such thing.
  10. Q: If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
    • No games. Well, maybe Snake, some time. Nothing intensive.
  11. Q: What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
    1. Highest resolution I can afford. Hopefully 1920x1080 can fit into the budget.
  12. Q: Are you looking to overclock?
    • No
  13. Q: Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
    • Linux (Arch), 64 bit

Hi experts, please suggest me a workhorse PC configuration in 35K - 40K budget. The template takes the requirements nicely, though I want to add that I typically run my computers for long. Just retiring Pentium D (after maybe 8 years, not sure). Hot beast, next one I hope runs cooler.

@drizoGo for this-
Intel i5 3550
-12.5k OR i3 3220-7k
Gigabyte B75M D3H-4.5k
Gsill RipjawsX 2x4GB 1600-3.5k
Segate 1Tb 7200.14-4.6k
Sapphire HD6670-4.5k
Corsair CX430V2-2.4k
Dell ST2220L-8.5k OR Dell ST2420L-13k
Nzxt Gamma-2.4k OR CM Elite 311-3k
APC BR600-1.9k
Hope this helps.:)

@drizo keeping your virtualization needs in mind this is what I suggest --

AMD FX-8120 ~11000/-
ASUS M5A97-M ~6500/-
Corsair Vengeance 4GB x2 1600MHz ~3200/-
AMD HD6570 1GB ~4000/-
Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 1TB ~ 4500/-
HP (boxed) optical drive ~1000/-
Corsair CX v2430W ~2700/-
Cooler Master eLite 311 ~2000/-
DeLL ST2420L ~13000/-
LOGITECH MK200 ~700/-
APC BR600VA-IN ~2000/-

Hope this helps, Cheerio!

Also, welcome to TE and wish you have a pleasant stay here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Alpha and Jakob.

Graphics card : Do I need graphics card? My 8 year old onboard Intel graphics is enough to show movies, wobbly or transparent windows, desktop effects etc. Though current monitor resolution might be laughable (something around 1100x900 or so), I expect newer onboard graphics to be much more powerful?

Hard disk : I want to keep the existing hard disks for a long time. After 6 months, when I am out of disk space, I'll get the hard disk which gets the most GB per rupee. So don't need hard disk right now. But need the system supporting 4 hard drives, and good hard drive cooling.

Cabinet : My 320 GB hard disk runs hot, scalding to touch really. It appears to me both NZXT Gamma and CM Elite 311 don't let the hard disks cool from front fan, what do you think? My current solution is to keep the cabinet open and blow a cello-taped fan on the back side of hard disks :). CPU and motherboard are full of dust possibly because of this reason. I want to avoid that on the new system. Do you know of some nice filtered cabinet , especially with good hard drive cooling support ?

Thanks Alpha and Jakob.

Graphics card : Do I need graphics card? My 8 year old onboard Intel graphics is enough to show movies, wobbly or transparent windows, desktop effects etc. Though current monitor resolution might be laughable (something around 1100x900 or so), I expect newer onboard graphics to be much more powerful?

Hard disk : I want to keep the existing hard disks for a long time. After 6 months, when I am out of disk space, I'll get the hard disk which gets the most GB per rupee. So don't need hard disk right now. But need the system supporting 4 hard drives, and good hard drive cooling.

Cabinet : My 320 GB hard disk runs hot, scalding to touch really. It appears to me both NZXT Gamma and CM Elite 311 don't let the hard disks cool from front fan, what do you think? My current solution is to keep the cabinet open and blow a cello-taped fan on the back side of hard disks :). CPU and motherboard are full of dust possibly because of this reason. I want to avoid that on the new system. Do you know of some nice filtered cabinet , especially with good hard drive cooling support ?

Both have a fan-mount in the front (intake position) which blows air directly onto the hard-drives don't see how that won't be sufficient for your needs? If this is indeed insufficient for your needs then by all means add additional fans in that area but keep the cabinet sealed and closed at all times.

Also about the hard-drives, sure keep them as long as you need. Consolidate all these later into a single massive dump-drive and get a SSD to work as the main boot device.

Get a basic graphics card. You never know when you need it and this is a rather spartan card suggested so that you can at-least experience future versions of Windows sans lag.

lenovo pc + tv ?

^^
I don't understand this.

He is recommending a pre-assembled PC from Lenovo and a TV

Both have a fan-mount in the front (intake position) which blows air directly onto the hard-drives don't see how that won't be sufficient for your needs? If this is indeed insufficient for your needs then by all means add additional fans in that area but keep the cabinet sealed and closed at all times.

Also about the hard-drives, sure keep them as long as you need. Consolidate all these later into a single massive dump-drive and get a SSD to work as the main boot device.

Get a basic graphics card. You never know when you need it and this is a rather spartan card suggested so that you can at-least experience future versions of Windows sans lag.

^^

He is recommending a pre-assembled PC from Lenovo and a TV
Directly onto hard drives? Not sure if I understand this correctly. How will air reach the hard drive? http://www.coolermaster.in/upload/product/6700/featured/top5.jpg?1233868833
http://www.nzxt.com/new/images/_upload/product_gallery/IMG_4896.jpg

With 4 hard disks in NZXT Gamma, no air would be able to go in the cabinet from the front fan.For elite 311, all pictures I have are with HDD cage removed. Can it really fit 4 hard disks?

And I don't need windows, so not sure about the graphics card. Can I first try working with onboard graphics to check my needs? What symptoms should I look for to check if I really need a graphics card? I love onboard because they run cool :)

Back