Newly bought Samsung M.2 860 EVO not recognized in BIOS and windows - Help please

jinvidia

Adept
Hello geeks. I am owning a ASUS h97 pro. My newly purchased Samsung M.2 860 EVO is not getting recognized in the BIOS and windows. This is the first time I am using a M.2 drive and its very disappointing and frustrating to see its not working. I also tried Samsung Magician but it recognizes only my hard-disk and not the M.2
Is this drive compatible with my motherboard ?. Kindly help. Thanx.

The drive is compatible.
1.)Are there any other drives connected to the board? HDD OR SSD?
2.) In the BIOS is the drive showing up.
3.) On boot POST display is the drive being listed.
4.) As per your MB manual is there and any setting change which you may have done for PCH storage config?
5.) Is the M2 slot sharing it's pcie lane with any other device as per your board layout which may be causing conflict?

First of all thank you very much brother.
I will list the full specs of my pc.
Asus h97 pro
Core i5 4460
3 x 4gb corsair ddr3 ram
1tb seagate hdd
2tb seagate hdd
Gtx 1050ti gfx card
Creative audigy 2 ZX PCI sound card

If the m2 is inserted, sata ports 5 and 6 and sata express gets disabled automatically. So i think m2 shares pci lanes with these ports.
The drive doesn't appear in bios or windows when connected.

Kindly feel free if you need any clarifications buddy.

Last edited:
I would try to disconnect all HDD to troubleshoot.( With PC turned off)
Leave only the Samsung connected.
Then reboot into bios and reset bios to Load Defaults.
Save and exit bios.
On restart on the POST page check if ssd displayed .
Boot into bios and check if ssd listed .

If all else fails try SSD on any other pc or friends pc, just incase (very rare) that ssd is faulty

Extracts from my motherboard manual:

- 1 x SATA Express port (black, compatible with 2 x SATA 6.0 Gb/s ports)
- 1 x M.2 Socket 3*
- 4 x SATA 6.0 Gb/s ports (gray)

* M.2 Socket 3 shares bandwidth with SATA Express. This socket supports M Key
and both SATA and PCIE mode type 2242/2260/2280 storage devices (Type 2242 storage device is supported on Rev.2.01 or later versions of this motherboard).

Will try your suggestions and report back buddy. Again thank you very much for your prompt response. And by the way is there any chance that the pci lanes getting exhausted in my motherboard due to the devices which i use?. I even tried disabling one of my hdds but the situation is the same.

Try the PC with just SSD and GPU and latest Bios update for your board.
And try steps listed above.

Doubt the lanes are exhausted tho.
MB manual would have more info of lane priority allocations.

sharing lanes is correct , it will be written in your mobo manual. update your bios ,check whther m2 slot is enabled .modern mobo do have those option dont know about your chipset .

secondly i think even if it comes up you wont get full claimed speed as the m2 slot in h97 is x2 and not x4 ,

use GPU and m2 , i am not aware how many lanes your sound card uses as h97 only provides 8 pcie lanes which will be shared amongst , maybe ethernet ,sata usb etc , check your manual how each and every component is wired to pcie

Try the PC with just SSD and GPU and latest Bios update for your board.
And try steps listed above.

Doubt the lanes are exhausted tho.
MB manual would have more info of lane priority allocations.
Motherboard has the latest update. Moreover if the lanes are already exhausted, why would two sata ports grey out when the drive is plugged in ?. So I doubt if its lane exhaustion.

sharing lanes is correct , it will be written in your mobo manual. update your bios ,check whther m2 slot is enabled .modern mobo do have those option dont know about your chipset .

secondly i think even if it comes up you wont get full claimed speed as the m2 slot in h97 is x2 and not x4 ,

use GPU and m2 , i am not aware how many lanes your sound card uses as h97 only provides 8 pcie lanes which will be shared amongst , maybe ethernet ,sata usb etc , check your manual how each and every component is wired to pcie
Sound card is a legacy pci sound card and I don't think it will occupy even a single lane as it is not pci express correct me if I am wrong. Even assuming it uses lanes it can't use more than 1 lane.

Thanks a lot brothers. Resetting the bios did the trick. Now I need to get the screw set for this SSD. While removing the screw, it came with the lower part. I am in Chennai. Is it available here ?. Thanx

Attachments

• image_2021-01-03_092011.png
    image_2021-01-03_092011.png
    111.6 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
Are you looking for just the screw or the bottom part also?
Also just one pair ? Or more
Just the screw alone and a single pair is enough.
But if its not going to cost much i don't mind getting extra 2 or 3.
And also i won't mind if it comes with bottom part (stand-off).
Actually i was able to remove the standoff with the screw and also seperated the screw from the stand off.
But in my attempt to remove the screw from the standoff, the groove in the screws are damaged.
Now i can use the screw and the standoff to fasten the ssd to the mobo, but i am scared that it will become impossible to remove if i wanted to. That's why..

Board supports 1 x M.2 Socket 3, with M Key, type 2260/2280 storage devices support (both SATA & PCIE mode) so factory reset the bios, remove everything except KB, Mouse and GPU and SSD then check in bios.

Back