Newphone from US!

sekharsomu

Disciple
nokia lumia 800 vs sgs2 vs atrix2

Hi Guys,

i wanna to present my dad a good phone. My bro is coming to India is couple of weeks so i contacted him for unlocked phones.

My Choices are Samsung Galaxy S2,Nokia Lumia 800, Motorola Atrix 2 if prices within my range in US (Rs 25,000) then Samsung Galaxy note .
Do suggest me some websites or some marts from US where my bro can get them cheap & Unlocked,so that it's worth taking the risk of losing the warranty.

He doesn't have much info on where to purchase and stuff.So please help me out here Guys
Thanks,
Somu

For cell phones, i suggest buy from India with warranty. No phone from US will have Indian warranty (AFAIK). My brother too wants a new phone and i am in same dilemma but not able to find any good phone with reasonable price.

Even from ebay.com the S2 is expensive and the Note, Nokia Lumia 800 is still not launched in US.

You might get Atrix 2 in some ebay auctions for 350$.. and unlock would be 16$

But I would also suggest to buy from India with warranty, the Samsung galaxy R is a good options at 18-19K or the galaxy S2

Hi Guys,
with all your valuable advices i have decide to purchase one in india

Now that sums my choices to 2
Nokia Lumia 800 vs Samsung s2

Nokia is costing me right now @Rs25,037

Nokia Lumia 800 (Black) for Rs. 26,337. - Sulekha Offers

Samsung is costing me @RS 28,614
Get the Samsung Galaxy S2 16GB for an unbelievable price of Rs. 29,914! - Sulekha Offers

But my concern is the phone is from my father he is an elderly guy who is not used to Gadgets i used to see him confused with that simple settings in Motorola and Nokia standard piece ;

His main usage will be mails,chat and Address book thats it and simple nett apps like booking ticket for train/movies and banking should suffice .Most important is text shuld have clarity ,No gaming or extensive usage of other Apps
Also i have an offer from one of our members for Atrix2 @21,000 but no indian warranty he claims it brand new and is unlocked So please help me decide

Also please suggeast me some stores in banglore which are similar in price with Sulekha as i would prefer directly buying else go with sulekha

Btw, i order two books with Sulekha one yesterday and other a day before already received one,Good packing and fast delivery had a very competitive pricing

Freakonomics- got it for 139/-

Finally please help me decide btw Nokia Lumia 800 vs Sgs2 and Atrix2

I'd say better keep yourself to either the Lumia 800 or the Galaxy S2.

Keep in mind, that each phone uses a different O/S so the ecosystem will be different. Galaxy s2 currently has official updates upto Gingerbread 2.3.6, with the official Ice Cream Sandwich update coming from Samsung.

Nokia Lumia 800 will get the next update in Q1 2012 in terms of Tango. Whether or not it'd get updated to Windows 8 Apollo is not sure right now.

Looking at both the devices: Screen wise, Samsung has a bigger screen, Both have same 480*800 resolution while on quality I think Nokia is a tad better due to better sunlight visibility. So texts will be sharper in the Lumia than in the s2 due to higher pixel density. But if your dad finds the extra screen estate useful, then galaxy s2 is the choice.

Setting up mail accounts etc is a breeze for both the devices. Not much tech expertise needed there. Both devices are very smooth in terms of their overall performance, but Windows phone 7 is a better optimized OS. I have been using a Lumia 800 myself for 15 days now and haven't faced any crashes/hangups at all.

Loudspeaker volumes are a little on the lower side in Lumia. Definitely low in comparsion to the S2. But the forthcoming update should fix this.

I would recommend you to take him to a mobile store and give him a hands on demo of both the devices. Right now all the Nokia centers have demos of Lumia 800, and for the S2, you can go to e-zone/Samsung Hub for the demo. See which of the phones he likes, and then make the deal :)

For the Atrix2, it is a good phone, but I don't think investing 20K+ on a phone which doesn't have Indian Warranty makes much of a sense.

Cheers, and happy new year wishes to you, your dad and all the forum members!! :)

Hi chironX,
Thanks for the suggestions Actually he went to the stores had a look at both of them and is puzzled and asked me to decide .I am here in Bangalore as mentioned clarity is the top priority from ur statement its make me understand that nokia lumia 800 had a better text clarity to sgs2 .As far as settings i will make them so no issues there.How do you feel reading a lengthy mail in lumia do u feel the screen size is handicapping something compared to sgs2.What about cam quality is it good compared to sgs2

Happy new year TE!
Somu

You're welcome. This is what the forum is for, ain't it?

For me, the screen size does not pose any problems. I came to Lumia from Motorola Photon 4G which has qHD resolution and 4.3" screen. Lumia's screen is crisp, bright and you can zoom if you're having problems with small text anyways :)

Mail etc. daily stuff is a bit better on WP7 side, you get the feeling of using the desktop versions of Outlook etc. since basically they have the similar versions on the phone. If you can live with the shortcomings, like no external storage, non-removable battery, no file sharing via bluetooth, then give it a go. It is a premium phone which looks, feels and behaves like one.

Galaxy S2 - I am taking nothing away from it. The numbers say a lot. Samsung has made fortunes with this phone, and when you use it, it is pretty obvious why. Both of them are stellar devices.

Hope this helps. Shoot if you have any more queries as well.

Hi Guys,
inclining more towards Lumia now . Do you guys think inbuilt battery is a disadvantage in future .Not worried about memory for my fathers usage it must be more then enough and Any suggestions on where to buy in bangalore.Else its better going with Sulekha

Back