Nexus 4 or Nexus 7 3G?

zhopudey

Skilled
Damn the pricing is awesome! I had been waiting for the N7 3G for a long long time, but the N4 is now vying for my attention. I know one is a phone and the other is a tab, but what are the other arguments? N4 is surely faster. Which device will be more future proof? Android doesn't have a lot of tablet optimised apps yet... Arrghh...meesa confused!

What is your definition of future proof ? 1 year, 3 years ? Nothing is future proof. Also the nexus 7 3G won't have calling feature so one is a device that can make calls and other which cannot.

What is your priority??? Best hardware or Screen size... Because Nexus 7 has screen size which is only 2.3 inches bigger diagonally than Nexus 4.... But hardware wise, there is no competition as Nexus 4 is more powerful and future proof... I mean with new quad core S4 chipset and 2 GB RAM, it will be able to handle any apps, intensive games thrown at it.... Plus 4.7 inch screen is ample for browsing, watching movies etc.... With the $349 pricing for 16gb, it might be the best phone with best hardware for the price.... I mean, similar spec'd phones would cost much higher..... The most impressive thing about google is, How in the world can they make a phone with best hardware and also price it competitively at $299 (8 GB) and $349 (16 GB)????? Seriously, the VFM for this phone is absolutely incredible....

If screen size and storage space is important for you then the Nexus 7.
If you want the most powerful hardware out there then the Nexus 4.
@aradhakr84 It might be diagonally 2.3" but as far as screen real estate space its more than 100% space!

Last edited by a moderator:
How different would the N4 be from the Optimus G? As per GSMarena's review, the Optimus G's screen is not as good as the GS3, neither is the camera. And despite the superior h/w it is slower :( How much of this could be due to LG's skin? Will stock android bring vast improvements?

How different would the N4 be from the Optimus G? As per GSMarena's review, the Optimus G's screen is not as good as the GS3, neither is the camera. And despite the superior h/w it is slower :( How much of this could be due to LG's skin? Will stock android bring vast improvements?

hello zhops,

the nexus 4 has brillint screen almost comparable to retina display and also the touch function now resides in the superficial glass so improving the sensitivity.

If its officially launched in india at competitive pricing than its the phone to get.

Nexus 7 even though nice spec wise will be difficult to carry around as a only convergence device. Also Nexus 10 launch and other competitiors pushing the price barrel down I feel christmas time will be the best time for tablet hunting.

If you are already happy with your Android phone then get a tablet .. and if you thinking of upgrading then get Nexus 4 phone as the time has come.

Both are Future proof .. the Nexus 4 more so .. I believe.

Prima facie: The N4 is almost a phablet. Go for it. Later if you "feel" the need for a larger screen, get the N7 or N10.

You are right about tab optimized apps paucity in the Play store. This would be much more magnified with the fab-display.

Being Google devices, both would be assured of updating to at least the next two iterations of Android. With so much proccy power under the hood, real-life battery tests would be important.

Bump! :) My phone got flicked yesterday. The universe wants me to upgrade :) So here is where the 2 stand now -

N7 3G: Phone calls not supported as of now, though it shouldn't be long. However, calls can only be made through bluetooth, as google has left out the microphone in the 3.5mm jack :S

N4 16gb: Usb-Otg not supported, so will be stuck with the 13gb usable. Phone is not in aosp yet, so development will be slow. Camera is average (but then, N7 doesn't have a rear camera at all).

So, what are your thoughts on this?

Back