CPU/Mobo No BIOS screen at system startup

trojanman

Disciple
Hi guys,

I have had this problem for about 8-9 months now. When my computer starts, I do not get the BIOS splash screen/options, meaning, I directly get the Windows logon screen. The monitor remains blank till the Windows logon screen is displayed; the NUM lock works, though. I have tried the F1,F2,F8 and DEL buttons, but no use.

After logging on, though, the system works smoothly without any major issues. Except that the Windows Security center & Automatic updates always get activated, no matter how many times I deactivate it using the 'Change the way security center alerts me' option. After each reboot I get the security center balloon pop-up warning me that thefirewall is turned off or the anti virus definitions are out of date.

What could be the issue here? The mobo or the PSU?

These are the components of my machine...

Mobo: GA-MA785GMT-UD2H

CPU: AMD Phenom II X2 550 BE

RAM: 6 GB DDR3 (2GBx3) Gskill

GPU: On board

HDD: Seagate 1TB 7200.12

PSU: Gigabyte 460W Superb

CD ROM: Asus 22x

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

For your bios issue, theres no need to panic. Your bios is simply skipping some steps which is a setting itself in bios. You can enter bios and turn it off to see your bios screen or logo. I always set it off as I have 6 hdds and sometimes one of disks doesnt get detected & so the reason.

Refer to your mobo manual for appropriate keys entering into bios as in these scenario your have to be pretty quick. As soon as you power on your system keep pressing F2 and DEL keys continuously and you might get into bios setup.

Last resort is to short the bios/cmos jumper on your mobo and then your bios will itself prompt you to load default settings to continue further and you also need to set the current time/date then.

Try all these methods and they'll work.

For your windows issue, you need to disable security center service from services. Then you wont get any prompts.

Thanks for your replies

Fast boot is enabled, and your keyboard is not detected initially. Try with a PS/2 keyboard.

I do not remember enabling fastboot and mine is a PS/2 keyboard. How can I check whether fastboot is actually enabled?

For your bios issue, theres no need to panic. Your bios is simply skipping some steps which is a setting itself in bios. You can enter bios and turn it off to see your bios screen or logo. I always set it off as I have 6 hdds and sometimes one of disks doesnt get detected & so the reason.

Refer to your mobo manual for appropriate keys entering into bios as in these scenario your have to be pretty quick. As soon as you power on your system keep pressing F2 and DEL keys continuously and you might get into bios setup.

Last resort is to short the bios/cmos jumper on your mobo and then your bios will itself prompt you to load default settings to continue further and you also need to set the current time/date then.

Try all these methods and they'll work.

For your windows issue, you need to disable security center service from services. Then you wont get any prompts.

As I mentioned in my post, I cannot enter BIOS because I do not get any options while the PC is starting. After powering on, when the BIOS should be loading, screen remains blank and then I directly get the Windows welcome/login screen. I have tried all the keys: F1, F2, DEL, etc. but nothing takes me in to BIOS. That's why I can't even change my first boot device in BIOS as I wanted to format and install a new OS from DVD.

Not an expert, however, let me try searching what you mean by shorting the bios/cmos jumper.

Meanwhile, if there are any suggestions, I will be grateful.

I told you to refer the mobo manual to short the bios/cmos jumper on your mobo and then your bios will itself prompt you to load default settings to continue further.

In the manual it clearly states several jumpers and other connections with pictures. Bios jumper is founs around the battery on your mobo. It a small square plastic cap sitting on 2 pins. usually in black color but can be in yellow or red.

YouTube for jumper shorting.

Btw here is a small Spoon feeding tutorial for you: :cool:

Imagine this is your bios/cmos pin on mobo. And they are always labelled as 1 2 3

1 2 3

Jumper (= =) sits on pins '1 2' or '2 3' i.e. = = * or * = =

So currently in default position either your jumper is in position = = * or * = =

So you just need to do the reverse for any of the jumpers position.
i.e. if it is = = * make it * = = and/ or vice versa.

I told you to refer the mobo manual to short the bios/cmos jumper on your mobo and then your bios will itself prompt you to load default settings to continue further.

In the manual it clearly states several jumpers and other connections with pictures. Bios jumper is founs around the battery on your mobo. It a small square plastic cap sitting on 2 pins. usually in black color but can be in yellow or red.

YouTube for jumper shorting.

Btw here is a small Spoon feeding tutorial for you: :cool:

Imagine this is your bios/cmos pin on mobo. And they are always labelled as 1 2 3

1 2 3

Jumper (= =) sits on pins '1 2' or '2 3' i.e. = = * or * = =

So currently in default position either your jumper is in position = = * or * = =

So you just need to do the reverse for any of the jumpers position.
i.e. if it is = = * make it * = = and/ or vice versa.

Thanks!

Okay, I did the shorting part referring the manual and it did reset my clock. However, still no BIOS screen at startup. On my mobo there are only two pins and I used a screwdriver to short them.

At the first boot after shorting, I did not get any screen not even the Windows welcome one. So had to do a hard restart and then as usual screen remained blank till the welcome screen was loaded.

When I press the DEL key on startup nothing comes on screen till I restart using the reset button. I guess, it goes in to the BIOS options but something is preventing it from displaying it :arghh:

Try a different monitor. Some monitors (like those Korean imports) don't show a display till the OS boots.

mine is BENQ G2220HD, Taiwanese, I guess :rolleyes:

Sounds like your monitor has a problem displaying non-native resolutions like the BIOS screen and Windows loading screen. Has this problem always existed with your Benq? Try resetting your monitor settings. What connector are you using between your monitor <-> PC?

Yes your monitor isnt displaying non-native screens. It happened to my monitor long time as well. I reseted my monitors settings to default and did Auto adjust as well and it got fixed.
@nd thing, if you got onboard display, shift to it temporarily and see if you are lucky. Before that plug out your graphics card.

Sounds like your monitor has a problem displaying non-native resolutions like the BIOS screen and Windows loading screen. Has this problem always existed with your Benq? Try resetting your monitor settings. What connector are you using between your monitor <-> PC?

No, this problem was not there at the beginning and it has been only 7-8 months. It might've started after a sudden power outage/fluctuation when the comp was ON or something, not sure. Did the reset settings, didn't help. I am using a DVI cable

Yes your monitor isnt displaying non-native screens. It happened to my monitor long time as well. I reseted my monitors settings to default and did Auto adjust as well and it got fixed.
@nd thing, if you got onboard display, shift to it temporarily and see if you are lucky. Before that plug out your graphics card.

I am using the on-board display itself, don't have a graphics card :(

All,

Is there anything left to be tried out, other than trying a different monitor? Because the resetting of monitor settings didn't help.

If the monitor is faulty, will taking it to a Benq service center help? Or could it be anything to do with faulty/incorrect display drivers?

And secondly, how do I get my computer to boot with a bootable DVD as I cant enter BIOS options at startup to change the first boot device? I wanted to format and install Windows 7 after sticking to XP all these years.

Thanks.

Display drivers take effect only after Windows has finished loading, they have nothing to do with the BIOS display.

If you have a VGA cable try that instead of the DVI cable.

Ok....I guess, my monitor will stop working anytime now. It has started flickering. Tried adjusting the refresh frequency but didn't help much.

Regarding my other question, is it still possible to format my C drive and install Windows 7? How to boot from the Win 7 DVD if I cannot enter BIOS? I am not sure what the first boot device is.

Back