CPU/Mobo No Display (post/os load)

imkaush

Adept
Hey friends!

Facing a problem with my pc since a couple of months:

On powering ON, it the fans spin up, hdd spins up, mobo indicator is green, but no display (no bios/post/os load) from Gfx card or On-board gpu... :(

Had faced similar situation a few times since the start of monsoons (@Mumbai). Resolved it by discharging the static electricity (disconnect all power cables and hold the power button pressed).

But it doesn't work now.

I disassembled the pc, cleaned every component and reassembled back.

The monitor is fine, works with laptop flawlessly.

In the last few days when the pc worked, it didn't keep correct time, so it seemed a cmos battery issue.

Replaced it with a new one but no luck.

Then I thought of clearing RTC...
By mistake, i turned on the pc with jumper at clear RTC. :mad:

And then on restarting and setting the jumper right, got display but stuck at bad bios checksum error and it checks for bios file in cd or usb. :(

Downloaded bios file from asus website to a usb drive and plugged it in.

Bios file read, operation completed, but no restart prompt or auto-restart.

So I manually restart/power off/on the pc and now no bios error but same no display issue.

I cleared the rtc once again, properly this time but same checksum error.
Restored the bios once again with usb and there's no display again.

I'm suspecting issue in mobo, but need to be sure before getting it repaired/buying a new one.

Any help is highly appreciated!

Rig:
AMD Phenom II 550 BE | CoolerMaster Hyper TX3 | Sapphire Radeon 5670 1GB | 1x2GB Transcend + 1x2GB GSkill | ASUS M4A88T-M LE | Corsair VX450 | NZXT Source 210 Elite | QuantumZero USB3

Did you check if the PSU is at fault!
I had a similar problem! Everything would work and jump start but there won't be any display on the monitor! It turned out that the PSU was not pushing enough power to the components!
I cleaned the PSU, all the cables specially those attached to the mobo and the gpu and it lightened up!

Did you check if the PSU is at fault!
Hmm, haven't checked it cause it's just a few months old, the previous one was FSP Saga II 400W which fried (don't know the reason yet)...

And there's no separate power supply required for the gfx card...

When I turn on the mains, the Mobo led turns on green, so I assumed PSU power may be fine...

Also, just before the no display issue, faced one more issue: Post message said "USB over-current detected" and system shutdown in 15 seconds.

However after assembling, didn't see it again, since there was no display but the PC stayed ON and never shutdown.

So probably you need to check the usb ports!
Unplug all the ports and try to start the pc!
Also you might want to check if some port has gotten damaged or overcharging other components!
Also you can try some other PSU just for ruling out the PSU!

I did google the usb issue when it occurred and tried with disconnecting front usb port and QZ usb3 card...
Still got same error, so I assumed issue in onboard usbs, so disassembled and cleaned all, but post that no display and, as mentioned above, bios error too, so am stuck :(

Have called and explained all this to a (known) computer repair guy, he's gonna check today, let's hope he finds issue.

Wont it be better to jump to Skylake? AM4 is around the corner - that is if you still want to stick to AMD.

Hmmm, haven't updated myself with the current scene, and am not looking to spend more...

Please enlighten me with the options and approximate costs involved.

I have 2x2GB DDR3 sticks (strontium and gskill).
Oh, and rest of config is in first post. :p

Hmmm, haven't updated myself with the current scene, and am not looking to spend more...

Please enlighten me with the options and approximate costs involved.

I have 2x2GB DDR3 sticks (strontium and gskill).
Oh, and rest of config is in first post. :p

Yeah, I kinda forgot the DDR4 requirment. I would go with a stopgap arrangement. The cost for an i3 + mobo + RAM should be 15K easily.

^Yes @imkaush I would suggest you to just fill the gap with an AM3 mobo if possible get a used one for cheap. And then later on jump to either AM4 or the Kabylake. They are nearby.
And since you have all other components working, if you are thinking of upgrade now, you will have to buy all the new components.[DOUBLEPOST=1473393649][/DOUBLEPOST]A guy @erodov named Merchant is selling an AMD mobo. You can get it from him at a cheap price. Probably it will serve you for sometime and then you can move on with the upgrade.

Last edited:
I got too same problem .
It's time to change your mobo. But its too better to upgrade. Otherwise you have to face same problem again.

Check the ram ...clean the ram copper connectors with a normal eraser ..or else try with a new set of ram ...If the issue persist then the ram slots are faulty

Check the ram ...clean the ram copper connectors with a normal eraser ..or else try with a new set of ram ...If the issue persist then the ram slots are faulty
Tried these things already bro and deduced one ram stick is faulty:
- using the working ram stick in both slots 1 by 1
- cleaning suspected ram with eraser

Back