Nokia n9 -- Worth it?

ChironX

Disciple
Hey guys,

Was planning to buy a phone soon and after surfing through copious options of various OS, came to Nokia n9. The phones I considered were HTC Rezound:eek:hyeah:, LG Nitro HD LTE, Samsung Galaxy S2/ Nexus etc.

Does anyone from TE forums have the Nokia n9 or had a chance to use it? If yes, then how is it in real life? Zippy enough for day to day tasks?

How is the screen and Harmattan OS? Is it a long lasting phone to have?

Awaiting your feedback!

Cheers,

Chiron :hap2:

^^^ It's a phone to have for 1.5 years to 2 years easily. It's gonna keep getting support and updates till then.

unless u fantasize about the Android Markteplace and it's billion apps, N9 is a GREAT PHONE.

If you are asking about an official Nokia release, then it will never come to India. Or UK. Or US for that matter. However, genuine pieces from countries where it indeed has been released in, are available on eBay US and India sites. I think the price on eBay India is around 32K

Dhruv, how much did you buy it for?

and now you've given me the license to shoot questions, so there they are :

1. Screen..how is it?

2. Battery life and Music/Video quality

3. Usability and customizability

4. Dev Support/Apps

Why do you suggest the Lumia 800? Any particular reason except that Meego Harmattan OS is practically dead? Please let me know.

@ comp@addict

Yeah, that's why I am in two minds about the Lumia 800. Also read in some reviews where the reviewer said something like " After using the Lumia 800, my purchase of the N9 seems even more justified" :mad:

I mean, WTH! Puts me into more confusion.:huh:

Dhruv buddy, please clear all doubts. And if possible can you post some pics of your unit :eek:hyeah:?

dhruvrock2000 said:
I have one... fire away any questions you might have. Honestly i'd recommend that you go in for the Lumia 800 instead.

+1, Even i will suggest the OP to go for Lumia 800, it doesnt make sense to spend 32-35k on N9 with no warranty and future, Meego is dead and even major apps and games wont be available for the N9.

From GSMarena:

If anyone is let down, it's the Nokia N9 itself. The platform is as good as doomed. Forsaken by its own creator. With Nokia giving up on MeeGo and a price tag that confines the N9 to a premium niche, it will be next to impossible for the OS to grow a substantial user base. Without users, developers won’t be too interested in MeeGo either.

the biggest threat to Nokia N9 comes from a device that hasn’t even been announced yet. The Nokia 800 (or Sun, depending on who you believe) will be the WP7-running clone of the N9. It does seem unfair but there's nothing anyone can do. Some users will quickly figure out that their money would be safer with a phone that will actually be supported by two giants such as Nokia and Microsoft. Both companies will go out of their way to make their first-born a market success.

1. Screen..how is it?

It is pentile and extremely noticeable to me. Whoever said that the 800's screen is half the brightness is talking out of his ass. It is the same if not better. Metro UI hides the fringing.

2. Battery life and Music/Video quality

Good battery life , didn't like music quality much tbh. Video codec support is decent.

3. Usability and customizability

Zilch customizability. Usability is good. swipe UI is brilliant.

4. Dev Support/Apps
Dev support... considering i'm also making apps for it.. i'd say atleast the essentials are pretty much there... WP7 / Android / iOS are leagues ahead of course.

I have both the 800 and N9 , let me put up some pics of it shortly... The show off post has been pending for a few months now :p

Trust me.. go for the lumia. You'll be a happy man.

The only thing that bothers me is the screen, I mean it's a tad small for my liking. 4 inch and I wouldn't even have thought about it twice.

:( N9 saddens me a lot. Such a beautiful phone, and such a shame Nokia and Mr. Elop didn't even bother thinking about it.

Umm.... no. Its very good that Nokia went with WP7 instead. The company would've been doomed if they tried to make a resurgence with a brand new OS. You cannot survive without an ecosystem today..

The screen is just fine. I have access to any device in the market... after having used the Galaxy Note , this one feels just perfect. Sure a 4" screen might be a bit better but i haven't really felt that i've missed out on sthn.

Anyways... putting up that images post now. Keep an eye out for it in 15 min or sthn lol.

Back