Noob buying a DSLR/High end point&shoot <25k. Advice needed

Hi guys,

This question is from a person who is used to taking photos from a Canon IXUS 50, 5MP point and shoot camera.

We're going on a vacation to Europe and that is why i need a good camera.

I have a budget of 25k and i am looking for a good camera, I am a bit of a photographer but Not too much into manual settings to take just one pic. Scenery, portraits and pictures of monuments are the pics that i will be taking during the tour.

The camera that i will buy depends on the suggestions that i get here, So what do you guys suggest? Should i buy an entry level DSLR, high end point and shoot?

Also, As i am used to operating a canon and sony, Canon and sony cameras are preferred!

What do u guys think abot Nikon DSLR D3000, DSC-HX100V and Canon DSLR EOS 1000D

I would suggest a high end super zoom camera. The reason being is that on a vacation you would want a nice zoom lens. A DSLR comes with a 18-55mm (3x zoom) lens. Its a bit restrictive if you don't have a 55-200mm type lens for clicking far away objects.

Also since you don't like to dabble in manual settings a high end superzoom camera makes a lot of sense as its designed to give you very good quality JPEG files. A DSLR has rather bland JPEGs unless you tweak the settings.

Good options to consider are the SX230 and the Sony HX-100V.

Thanks a lot for the reply guys,

I have finalized a few models,

Nikon P500 vs. Sony DSC-HX100v

Also, Nikon L120 is around 8k cheaper than the P500, My question is, Is P500 worth the extra 8k? I mean it does have more zoom, But it has a CMOS sensor when compared to CCD sensor of L120, Does it make a lot of difference when shooting scenery and monuments?

And how do cameras like Canon PowerShot SX230 HS perform when compared to super zoom cameras like L120?

cooldude_007 said:
Thanks a lot for the reply guys,

I have finalized a few models,

Nikon P500 vs. Sony DSC-HX100v

Also, Nikon L120 is around 8k cheaper than the P500, My question is, Is P500 worth the extra 8k? I mean it does have more zoom, But it has a CMOS sensor when compared to CCD sensor of L120, Does it make a lot of difference when shooting scenery and monuments?

And how do cameras like Canon PowerShot SX230 HS perform when compared to super zoom cameras like L120?

B/w the two the HX100v is easily the better one,has a better lens,faster,better video and still.

All said and done the quality of pics in a DSLR is miles above a point-and-shoot. Do remember that and also the fact that you would not generally use a camera for a single trip. It would last many years and in that sense a DSLR (I feel) is a smarter choice.
Check this for e.g in a sony
Sony Alpha A290L DSLR Kit + Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 DG MACRO Lens
What I would suggest is get the body of a basic DSLR say nikon or a canon and get a relatively inexpensive lens from Tamron (less expensive than Canon or Nikon lens). If you search hard enough you can get the whole deal at around 30k to 32k. Extends your range but would be a much better deal.
Spending 25k on a point-and -shoot is not worth it in my opinion.

since you have termed yourself a Noob in this space - my honest advice will be that you stick to a good zoom, wide lens point and click camera. One of the reasons is that it will let you click great pics (definitely not the best) at the click of a button. Also the learning curve in a DSLR is steep. One needs to learn everything from the aperture to exposure and a lot of other stuff as well! Trust me - give by what you've written here-you'll be much better off with a point and click camera :)

The main reason to get a DSLR would be to manipulate DOF, take 6-8fps action shots or shoot at higher ISO levels with low noise.

Any, and I mean ANY camera made in the last 5 years will take good shots at ISO 100 f/16 settings.

A DSLR might be an overkill for you if you were using a point and shoot camera till now and you might no get enough practice by the time you have to go to Europe! but if you have experience using DSLR, then do go for a DSLR only! otherwise , i would suggest a super-zoom!

@GreenJay- I'm looking for a high performance point and shoot with great zoom bro.

@adder- I compared both P500 and sony's HX100V on snapsort.com and the P500 wins over sony. Any reason why you would prefer sony?

@voila- Not a big fan of olympus bro

@raj_pol & techhead- I might take some time and learn operating the DSLR, but the camera is going to be used by the entire family mostly consisting of ladies. Ladies+complicated technology= ROLF! And there goes the SLRs :(

@smalltiger_s & avinash- I'll mostly buy a super zoom camera, Could you guys suggest me the best one out there?

Nikon P500 or sony HX100V or anything else? Please suggest guys, I'll have to finalize it a few days. Also is nikon P500 worth the extra 8k over L120?

^It has a better lens and has more features apart from that easily the best camera in video ,You can also compare it at digitalversus.Also check out DPreview forums.
You can also check out the Fuji HS20 in the exr 8mp mode it blows away the competition.

Can you give me a link has to where in snapsort did you find the p500 overall better?

Guys,

I've decided to buy DSLR cameras after playing with a few DSLRs, The picture quality of these DSLRs was simply superb.

I have a strict budget of 25k and these are the models which are in my reach.

Canon DSLR EOS 1100D With 18-55mm IS Kit

Nikon DSLR D3000 with 18-55mm IS Kit

Sony DSLR A390L

Cannon DSLR D3100 is great but costs 30k which is beyond my budget, What do you guys suggest.

Back